Look up PLEX if you haven't yet! User roll call!

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by john edward, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, guys, just a heads up on Plex.

It's now available on the North American plat of the PS4 too. Came out just this week.

Of course, it doesn't work if you don't have a Plex Pass account, so that, as they say, is that. But it's still nice to know.

This is still the best free DLNA app for the Mac, bar none.

2. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

Currently running PMS 24/7 on my Mac Mini, then have PHT on several iPads, Macs and an appleTV throughout our house. Looking to connect another TV to the network, not happy with the unofficial plex-apple tv setup, so im looking for another plex box/streaming device that officially carries the plex app and that is available here in the Philippines. Was hoping to get a roku but cant find any locally at a decent price. Any suggestions?

3. teachertwish

teachertwish Member

Plex-connect (manual package) on my mac and stream to my non-Smart LED TV through Apple TV. I wasn't as successful with the Plex app for OS X because I had a difficult time setting it up with it not downloading all the files properly.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If you're a tinkerer and you're dying to find a reason to buy a Raspberry Pi, lookup Rasplex.

Android STB's are also becoming more common and you can install an official Plex client app on it.

But personally, I'd go with the Roku because it's a more polished product. You can always have one shipped through any of the popular freight forwarders.

5. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i'll wait for the sale to get this one...

6. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

with atv 3?

7. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

Weirdly now, whenever I use the Plex App on my iOS devices, the subtitles won't show up anymore >_< Files I have are mkv and the subs are with the video file already, though not hard coded. I've checked the option in Plex to show subtitles for non-english language movies/shows, but it still doesn't show up.

Any ideas? It used to work before, I dunno what suddenly happened :eek: Subs work well though when I watch on my Smart TV.

8. oj88

Are you live-streaming or is it offline viewing using Sync?

9. Chip

Streaming from my PC.

Here's the settings:

[​IMG]

Imma try Always Enabled for Subtitle Mode for now to see if it does something lol.

-edit- Bah, having it Always Enabled makes Plex crash lol.

#49 Chip, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  10. oj88

Have you tried manually enabling the subtitles from within the Plex client app?

[​IMG]

11. Chip

Aha, so that's where that option was. Tried it out but once the video loads, the server crashes, same error as with when I have it automatically/always enabled.

I guess I need to reinstall my server :eek:

-edit- Updating the server to the current version did not fix it. However, I came across a reddit or Plex forum thread showing the same problem as mine. In the said post, the person reverted back to version 0.9.9.12 (latest version is at 0.9.11.07). I tried it and it fixed the problem :eek:

#51 Chip, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  12. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Hey guys just set up my plex server at home using two 4tb seagate central, unfortunately murphys law struck and one of my nas went down. Now am thinking instead of getting a new nas use a usb attached hard drive instead. Any thoughts on this?

Also anyone else using a laptop as plex server? Do you leave it on with battery or not?

13. john edward

john edward Member

Official plex app now available for LG WEBOS TV's.

14. john edward

john edward Member

Use my top-end 2009 mbp with 3 usb drives attached to a usb hub. For better speed plex forum suggests an Ethernet 100baseT connection for the network.

15. iJav

iJav Active Member

Hi! Any suggestions on SMART TV models that support Plex? Which brand has the best implementation of the PLEX application? Thanks!

16. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

17. zChris

zChris Active Member

18. iJav

iJav Active Member

Thanks for the reply Ejaxene and zChris. I wanted to get Samsung but it appears that their 2015 SMART TV models run the new Tizen OS of which PLEX is not yet supported.

19. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

hi, any help with "Not available outside your network"? I tried port forwarding on my router (D-Link DIR-850L) and I'm on BayanDSL but still no luck. I'm running out of options :\

20. oj88

What sort of IP address do you get on your router's WAN? Is it a public or private IP address?

If it's a public IP address, all you need to do is port-forward TCP/UDP port 32400 to your PMS. Make sure it's also allowed in the firewall table of your router if it's not added automatically. Also check your server's firewall if that port is allowed.

If you're getting a private IP address, you're screwed. Nothing can be done since the telco is the one handling public<->private NAT.