Look up PLEX if you haven't yet! User roll call!

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by john edward, Oct 28, 2014.

1. john edward

john edward Member

You'll need a smart TV or a wifi enabled stick (roku, Google etc)

Been on it since July 2014 and it's everything I fantasize in an AV setup as far as file/ show interface and ease of use.

2. ratburn

ratburn Member

how does it work if you have a macbook and a samsung smart tv?

3. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Been using Plex heavily for several years now.

4. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

is it the same as Infuse? hope you guys could submit a review... TIA...

5. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

I have Plex and I use it to stream directly to my LG HDTV. My LG TV does not have a native plex app, but it can detect the plex server through its sharecast application or something.

I think there is still a third party Plex app for the LG but since I can play my movies without it, I never bothered to get it anymore.

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Been using Plex for a couple of years. I thought it couldn't be any better until I subscribed for a lifetime Plex Pass membership.

Streams to 4 Roku 3's, a WDTV Live, 8 iPads, a couple of PC's, a Smart TV, and several Android phones and tablets.

Not all at the same time, of course.

7. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

been using plex for several years now, great audio-video platform.

8. zChris

zChris Active Member

Heavy Plex user here for a few years as well. So heavy that I haven't had a cable subscription for quite some time now. My PMS is on a Synology NAS and use various clients. Actually, my setup is Plex+SickBeard+CouchPotato and this is an unbeatable combination for me.

I also tried PlexConnect and streaming to an AppleTV worked. However, transcoding on the NAS for DTS content made it unusable as I planned to connect it to a room without a DTS capable receiver and an older HDTV. I had the same issue with Roku, btw.

9. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

Is Plex for iOS good?

10. oj88

Pretty much. Some screen caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. qt_arvin

qt_arvin Fore!
    Staff Member

Plex user here for more than a year now

12. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Plex is fantastic. And the best thing is, my Samsung TV has the PLEX app too. Kinda stopped using AppleTV because of it.

Leo

13. john edward

john edward Member

I use the playz 3rd party app on an LG WebOs TV. Works well with all the features of the PLEX media server on mac built in. Unfortunately, the cover arts are not in HD (Malabo) but if you're viewing distance is far enough its not as bad.

14. john edward

john edward Member

iOS is PLEX developed so it's as good as the media server on my Mac. I even sometimes AirPlay to my TV from an iPad.

15. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I've been using Plex since we've bought a Smart TV (January 2014). I've purchased the Plex app on both Android and iOS. If we had better internet I would've subscribed to Plex Pass.

@john edward the cover art being non-HQ is not Plex's fault. It pulls data from thetvdb (forgot the other choices) and I don't think these websites have HQ pictures uploaded.

If ever you have experienced cover arts not being downloaded/updated, you can fix it by quitting the app. Going to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins then deleting the System and Framework bundles... Wait for a few minutes then launch Plex again...

16. oj88

I got Plex Pass primarily for the multi-user support and Sync. It was a problem for us that the media status (watched, unwatched, or partially watched) gets messed up if you've got your whole family watching the same episodes or movies. Now, media status is tied in to the user.... pretty similar to Netflix' user profiles.

Sync is also great as it makes my selected media portable. It also syncs watched/unwatched/partially-watched info back to the server when it connects, so I know which episodes I should watch next when I say, continue watching in the living room or another device. So far, this is the best use of my iPad's 128GB storage.

17. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

this sounds awesome if you have an always-on file/media server or PC. what device would you recommend for such purpose?

18. oj88

Check out the other thread about NAS recommendations. Not all NAS boxes can run Plex Media Server (PMS) natively. For those that do, their inherent design to be low-powered makes it its own Achilles heel. One of the advantage of Plex is that it does realtime video conversion to support a multitude of endpoints. This takes up a lot of CPU. If you stream to more than one or a couple of Plex clients and/or streaming HD quality media, the CPU on these boxes may not be able to keep up.

You can alternatively run PMS on a desktop. Any 3-5 y/o desktop will still run circles around most NAS boxes in terms of horsepower. The only downside is that, they take up slightly more space and consumes a bit more power.

Since we are a big family in a compound, I opted for the latter, running Windows Home Server 2011 on a 4 y/o quad-core with 8GB of RAM and 5 WD Red 3 and 4 TB drives (16TB total). No issues streaming to several endpoints in any video format or quality.

19. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

Considering that I'm already using a setup of PMS on my Windows Desktop with my media files in three different external drives, can I opt to just add a NAS to my network and it'll still be detected and streamed by PMS?

20. oj88

Haven't tried it but in theory, you can have the NAS mapped as a network drive on your desktop and point PMS to it. I still prefer the storage to be directly-attached to the PMS server (ie. SATA, eSATA, USB3, Thunderbolt) for best performance.