Locked or unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by jor, Dec 15, 2019.

1. jor

jor Member

The cost of a locked phone via carrier is close to the cost of an unlocked phone.

I've more or less decided to get an iPhone 11 Pro, but I'm torn between getting one from my carrier or buying open line. What do you all think? Pros and Cons would be really helpful.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...main consideration is saleability. If you intend to use the iPhone for at least 24 months, then carrier (but you have to go through the hassle of having it unlocked later). If less than 24 months, get the open/FU unit from the authorized resellers. You will still save something by going carrier but open line gives you more flexibility by going no-phone post-paid plan or prepaid.

#2 raypin, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    jor likes this.
  3. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Last contract I bought an unlocked iPhone because it was cheaper by 1,000/month for 24 months.

This year it was cheaper to get it on contract and it was easier on the cash flow.

I compared the cash out of the locked iPhone paid over 24 months + 24 months of service fees vs the purchase price of the unlocked iPhone at a one time payment + 24 months of SIM-only services.

If the cost is significantly lower then I go with the lower offer.

What I dislike about getting a phone from a carrier is that all SIM slots are locked to them. This makes data use expensive expensive and not cheap.

jor likes this.
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Did a quick search.

Globe iPhone 11 Pro Max (256) is 2,300/month for 2 years = 55,200 (Plan 1,799)
    Unlocked iPhone 11 Pro Max (256) (from Apple Ph) is 82,990

That's a 27,790 price difference!

The only benefit I see purchasing a device unlocked is that it's easier for you to switch to Smart if needed.

e.g. My daughter used Globe but after the 3 months tie-in period, she decided to move to Smart as the data coverage is better for her school.

jor likes this.
  5. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

No cash out required for locked Globe iPhone sir?

6. ice

It was a quick Google Search...

I think no cash out since they'll charge your credit card 2,300/month for the phone and 1,799/month for your plan.

wuyckie and jor like this.
  7. jor

jor Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out the Globe offer. I'm currently on a Smart postpaid plan since it's better for the areas where I need it so the Globe might be a good idea to replace my Globe prepaid line.

8. jor

jor Member

I checked out Globe's offer, for anyone interested. The 55,200 price tag is for a one-time cash out deal. The phones you can buy from them on a 24-month installment plan don't include the iPhone 11 series. I'll have to call up Globe and make inquiries about using a CC.

9. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Consumable of Plan 1799 with iPhone is far lower than without iPhone.

Both telcos use sly perceptional tricks.

like say cash out... they aren’t up front that you can pay for it on a monthly basis over the period of the contract.

10. ice

yes... but you still need a sim card.

I think (not sure about the figures) Smart gives you 20GB for SIM only plan (1.5K) same plan with an iPhone will only give you 10GB a 399/month booster is available BUT the next level is at 2K/month and cash out/phone price also goes down.

after the contract, as per NTC, you can have the phone unlocked

11. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

i think Smart telco is more cheaper, isnt it?
    https://smart.com.ph/Postpaid/iphone11pro

12. raze19

raze19 Active Member

my usual iPhone upgrade cycle is every 2 years. Hence it's more practical for me to get it from a Telco - easier cash flow. Network unlocking is easy once the contract is consumed, it's just a phone call away.

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

In my part i already computed this:
    Iphone pro max 256gb
    Globe - cashout 52,800 + 43,176 ( 24 months lock in) = 95,976.00
    Grey market ajt- 71,000 unit + 23,976.00 (24 months sim plan only 999) 94,976.00

actually if you have the money ready, i suggest you take the grey market option cause its unlocked iphone and you dont have a lock in period.. the only disadvantage on this option is you need to cash out right away 71,000 which on my part i cant liquidate that kind of money so i just took the globe telecom option in which i made the 2 yrs installment hehe.

14. ice

I think SIM only 999 only has 11GB data allocation/month
    iPhone + 1,799 has 15GB

15. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Well it stil depends on your preference, like on my part i dont need too much data cause most of the time im on the office and im using wifi...

and also the sim plan only 999, its real consumable is 1,500

16. ice

I agree, personal preference... I've been purchasing my daughter's iPhone from Apple for the past 3 Gens even if it costs more

17. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

With a grey market unit you are risking the possibility of it not being honored for warranty claim by authorized service centers here. With the exception of same model number units offered here in the Philippines (ex: Singapore units). Though the savings you're going to get if you go to grey markets are quite significant, more than Php10k.

18. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

I think for Globe cash out it should be 55,200(plan 1,799) as mentioned by Ice? Or cash out 52,800(plan 1,999)

19. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

My siblings were in Globe Store SM Sucat recently and one of the staff said that you can already ask Globe to unlock your Globe-locked iPhone once the warranty expires (1 year). I don't know if this is true.

20. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

cashout 55,200 if your applying for new line, but if you will recontract, cashout is 52,800... that is on iphone 11 pro max 256gb