(Lifeproof) Not as waterproof as I thought.

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by carloslegarda, Jun 4, 2012.

1. arkiesg

arkiesg Member

I'm guessing onboard a bike.

2. jeffrod

jeffrod Member

good point! LOL! it was stupid of me to assume that he was in a car. hahaha!

3. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Thanks Obet and Leo, we have that as well but I want something that I can hold when my daughter is not using it. :D I bought a Griffin survivor case, though not waterproof, it does the job.

I would buy next generation LP in the future when we have another iPad. Cheers! :D

4. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

Ah sorry for not replying sooner... yup, It was on a motorcycle. I forgot to close the zipper on my tankbag that's why it fell.

By the way, just did a water test and looks like it passed with flying colors. Aesthetic wise, I had to use a sand paper and blade to smooth-en the scratched parts.

5. RAC

RAC Member

Wow thats impressive.
    I got a lifeproof case.
    Really happy with it.
    I did a water test and it was pass. I have taken it to the beach and the pool. Love taking photos and videos with my kids. Also love the idea that people where shock when they see me leave my phone beside the pool or take a dip with it.
    I had 3 cases before my lifeproof and it looks like i will be keeping it on for quite sometime.
    I

6. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

thanks will observe again..

7. kevin3798

kevin3798 Member

How do you know if the case you plan on buying is part of the newer batch? :)

8. mataustriaii

mataustriaii Active Member

My wife's lifeproof case rubber part just crumbled. Tried to super glue it but almost damaged her phone when water sipped in during recent our majayjay trip. It was seldom used but still broke. Mine on the other hand is used and abused but still remained waterproof. Same batch but ordered directly from u.s. i guess there's a q.a. issue for this product.

9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Ok, my son and I use our LP cases when we swim at the beach or pool and it gets roughed up pretty good and holds its job pretty well. A few days ago we went to the blue lagoon in iceland. We took both cases 4S and 5. The water was 40C. We took a dip for about an hour and took pictures. Until about an hour, my son says he spotted a wet region on the screen. I checked the screen and sure enough water indeed got in. I checked mine and found a leak also. I checked the seals and found that they had softened due to the 40C water. The phones were fine but now I realized these cases although are great, have limitations. Just sharing some info. Water in the blue lagoon is also salty and I don't know what other stuff is in the water. Seems corrossive, so i'm not sure if that's also a factor.

10. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

Since I bought Lifeproof Fre almost a month ago, I will be using it today for swimming. I seldom use this case since it is not an everyday case for me. I already did a water test prior to putting my phone inside and it passed the water test. I just hope this case will not fail me in taking pictures underwater. Goodluck to my iPhone 5. ;)

11. Bento Box

Bento Box New Member

I also have the lifeproof frē case for ip5 but the thing is i'm more concerned about the dust compared to water since im using a waterproof camera. No issues so far with dust and i'm very happy with it. Since im a bit of an oc i also have a dicapac waterproof case for my ip5 and lifeproof frē case.

12. Ryukun

Ryukun Member

My LifeProof case now has a crack on the silent switch after 1 year and two weeks of use. It is still ok since it's still shock proof. :)

13. drdom

drdom Member

Exactly like what happened to mine! Did you also not use it for some time? This may just be it's Achilles heel (the silent switch area).

14. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Member

Its been 5months since I've gotten my case and so far so good. I've been religiously checking the seals and doing the waterproof test and after a countless number of trips to the beach it's still holding up pretty well.

Has anyone brought up their concerns direct to lifeproof?

15. david-ruffin

david-ruffin Member

got my Lifeproof Fre for my iPhone 5. i'm confident it will handle my phone well just like it did with my iPhone 4S. i wish it was available before, it would have prevented the ugly dent on top of my phone.

16. jquinto

jquinto Member

Same thing happened to me - the rubber part around the front section of the case got brittle over time (and probably due to exposure to sun/seawater/sweat/contaminants) and separated from the front of the clear plastic protective screen. This happened at the 11th month, just enough time to fire up an email to Lifeproof explaining my dilemma. A few days later I got a reply along with a replacement request/order form for a free in-warranty unit replacement. Got the replacement in a week and a half - DOOR TO DOOR (and none of that customs crap). Really happy with their level of support. (Had the same thing happen with Otterbox, my Defender's silicone became too soft and stretchy and got another D2D replacement free of charge).

Love my Lifeproof, just hate the price. I just treat it as some sort of "Applecare" and the financial pains go away. My iPhone 4S still looks as pristine as it did when I bought it at the December 2011 launch and it's all thanks to Lifeproof (and that ugly Otterbox I used before). :-D

17. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

My unabused lifeproof started to crumble after 15 months. Too bad its after the warranty period but I'm still trying to make a claim. So far Lifeproof has not replied. Its been 2 days. Hope they replace the defective part.

18. mataustriaii

mataustriaii Active Member

Same here. After the warranty period, small cracks began to appear on the rubber part. I'm glad that I have used and abused it. Keep us informed on your claim. I will follow suit if you will be successful.

19. polyx

polyx Member

I have a three month old life proof fre for ip5, did the water test every month, on the third month water sipped inside, took some pictures and sent my concerns to life proof, got a prompt reply, I was instructed to send the case to them, I checked how much it will cost to send the case, Php 2.5 K, my wife told me to buy a new case instead, I also tried to have the case replaced locally where I bought the case, it's almost a month now there is still no reply from the store's supplier, by the way I bought it @ Digital Hub Market Market, still hoping to get a replacement.

20. Drina

Drina Member

Crossing my fingers, that it will not happen to me. Kinda hassle doing stuff like making follow up, after all it should serve it's purpose, not false advertisement. It's just throwing P4k hard earned money to nothing. Hoping that they'll replace your case.