Let's Go Swimming!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by jaijin, Jun 21, 2009.

1. asdf

asdf Member

I've heard about this one too. Can you bring a companion or is this exclusive for dlsu alumni only?

2. Ejaxene

Ejaxene PhilMUG Addict Member

La Mesa Eco Park also has a pool. :)

Trying to get back to swimming as I need to lose weight... so I'm looking for pools located in QC. Thanks for all the suggestions here.

3. gestapo

gestapo Active Member

^It's kinda hard to look for pools in QC area. Some pools in certain condos don't allow outsiders to swim, even for a fee.

4. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

DUDE! seriously? YMCA Manila? gusto mo ata mag amoy chlorine haha!
    hmmm... where is this dapitan sports center?

5. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I really need to get fit, but I don't plan on shelling out money, just to "motivate" me to stick to my fitness regimen (meaning, I don't want to pay a gym membership, and force myself to workout, since I forked over some dough, hehe) So that gave me two options: running or swimming. Since I've tried to run several times in the past 2 years, I thought I'd give swimming a shot.

Does anyone have like a beginner's guide to using swimming as a fitness regimen? I know how to swim. That's it. I can do 4 laps, till I'm gassed out, so I think I'd want to this systematically. Any thoughts?

6. kartman

kartman Member

do consider getting a swim coach who can check your technique and give you a proper program. hth

7. docjbr

I also think that would be the best way to go. The thing is, that would probably mean I'd have to travel to pools that offer coaching or training? I was sort of hoping that I could start out at the pool in the condo :p Maybe if I can put 2-3 weeks of "start-up training", then I'll see from there. All I know at this point is to stretch, jump in the pool, and do as many laps as I can, and I can pretty much say, that's not the most scientific way to go about it :eek:

8. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

^ I saw some guys at my friend's condo's pool who do this. Looked like they swam regularly for a workout. Or maybe they were athletes who were just doing daily tune ups?

What about joining a water sport so you can have technical training, plus extra incentive to swim (like playing basketball to stay fit, yeah doc?)

9. kartman

kartman Member

There are some swim coaches who can teach you at your condo or do the session at pools like masa, ultra or afp. pm me and i can give you some leads.

10. docjbr

I've heard water polo players are some of the most fit people in sports. Problem is... I don't know how to tread water :p Underwater hockey also looks nice. Are there other water sports? Yeah, it'd be nice to have an "incentive" or competition, to stay hungry. Sana the Tuesday basketball thing will be more regular na din!

Sige, I'll send you PM! Thanks! :D

11. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

Hi

would love to know someone who can teach me in masa as well. I'll send you a message too. :)

12. xtine

xtine Active Member

You may want to give this a try :)
    ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks
    http://www.ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

13. docjbr

14. xtine

xtine Active Member

Good luck! I only managed to swim up to 700m straight but my sister was able to finish 1650 :)

15. kartman

kartman Member

pm'd you guys :)

16. jnebrdtte

jnebrdtte New Member

Kartman,

Can you refer someone who can coach me for swimming in MAS preferably sat and sun 6pm to 8pm, i know how to swim a little. . How much is the rate ? please email me [email protected]. Many Thanks.

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi folks, I'm interested in taking up regular swimming as an alternative to running. I'm new at this so forgive the newbish question but where are the good pool areas where I can regularly workout within San Juan City?

18. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

@kartman: your inbox is full. can you please PM me? Thanks!

19. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Kartman!!

I also need to get a swim coach for my wife. She has zero swimming skills, except for floating face-up. I want her to learn the fundamentals. My kids already know how to swim but would like an expert to fix their stroke.

Kindly PM or SMS me if you know of a coach who can come over to our condo. There's a sizable pool here that they can use for free.

I called Angelo Lozada of Lozada Swimming last year but he couldn't get any instructor to add us in their sked. Any info will do.

Thanks, Raul!

20. LeoMarley

LeoMarley Active Member