Late 2020 Macbook Air M1

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yoh_hectic, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

It's been a while that they removed it. From what I read to make the screen thinner. But yeah it looked cooler than the metal mirror we get now.

Theus likes this.
  2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, 2016? it’s okay I guess, I’m past the days when I wanted something that screams “I have an Apple laptop!” :ROFLMAO:

3. yoimrae

yoimrae New Member

2E75EDB1-AC92-4FC2-87F9-697E5486EF6D.jpeg

MBA M1 x iPad Air 4. Superb performance. Love is in the Air ❤️

Sunil_K, ronjet, Silentwill and 3 others like this.
  4. silverfox

silverfox Member

Has this happened to anyone? Waking up from sleep, it becomes unresponsive - sometimes the keyboard or the touch ID does not register, and I get beachballs. I have to do a force restart for it to become responsive again. It doesn't happen regularly, but often enough to cause some worry. Updated to the most recent version of Big Sur.

5. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

That has also happened to my MBA, but since the recent OS update, I have yet to experience it again.

6. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

No problem waking up from sleep on mine but I do get occasional beachballs when adding tabs in Safari even if I only have one active tab open. Usually I'd end up clicking twice thinking it didn't respond so two tabs will open instead of just one.

7. silverfox

silverfox Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that it happens when the USB hub is connected. Nothing conclusive yet, but I'm doing a week-long test to see if the same situation will happen with and without the USB hub connected while asleep.

8. mikeyllorin

mikeyllorin Active Member

this used to happen to me when my USB Audio interface was plugged in via the USB hub. Had to switch to plugging it in via audio jack instead, and it's been much more consistent. no out-of-nowhere beachballs.

i also used to have weird issues after restarting (report issue window would keep popping up), but this stopped after I uninstalled Karabiner Elements.

my activity monitor would also show much higher CPU usage even when I was doing nothing, but I heard that this happened because of a menu bar app called Hand Mirror that I used to use. I uninstalled it and things went back to normal.

silverfox likes this.
  9. silverfox

silverfox Member

So I'm guessing there are still some bugs/issues, however I'm hoping these will all be resolved via software updates and are not hardware-related.

10. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Most annoying "bug" I experienced so far was the brightness going 0% and would not let me adjust even using the keyboard buttons. I had to lock and unlock it again for me to be able to see what's on the screen, though still dimmed, and be able to adjust the brightness. This would happen with auto brightness OFF. Seemed to have stopped though after a week of doing it.

11. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

recently updated apps not launching. cant be opened because developer cant be verified error message appearing. all apps are from appstore and updated just now

12. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally upgraded my 2013 11 inch macbook air to the new 13 inch M1 Macbook :) its a world of difference .

Theus likes this.
  13. silverfox

silverfox Member

Seems to be getting worse - it would sometimes have difficulty registering my fingerprint and won't unlock, and I'm not sure if it's an issue with memory. Hoping it's not a hardware issue.

14. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

My issue with the brightness has come back intermittently.

15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry to read about your issues folks. a month in and wife & I have not experienced any issue/s with our M1's. some apps / software we've added: Office365 (family), PDF Expert, Amphetamine, Airy, Tiles, 1-click video converter, expressVPN, VLC & Paragon NTFS.

Of course I'm secretly happy that no new MBA M1's were announced in this week's Spring Loaded event ;)

Sunil_K and shifty_md like this.
  16. shifty_md

shifty_md Well-Known Member

I am happy too. Lol aside from Office365, Amphetamine, I also have Magnet. It was really worth the price.

Theus likes this.
  17. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

I mainly use my MBA for browsing with Safari, watching YT vids, editing in FCPX and iMessage. No issues whatsover using those apps, works really great, in fact. Just that brightness annoyingly would change randomly to very dim if not totally dark for no apparent reason.

18. drdom

drdom Member

Finally got my hands on one! Birthday gift from the wife :)

I am impressed!

shifty_md and Theus like this.
  19. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

How’s the thermal throttling? How warm does it get? I edit hour-long 1080p videos on the side sometimes and I don’t really want to get an MBP (touchbar, no gold).

My side job’s workflow is screaming for an MBP but my heart wants an MBA

20. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

are there local sellers offer Education pricing? I am planning to get one 3 months @ 0%