Late 2.23 Ghz 13 Macbook Pro and 2.4 Ghz Unibody Macbook = equal performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Salaryman Ryan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Very interesting article I stumbled upon in Low End Mac a few moments ago:

According to the testings of Low End Mac
    Read more about it here:

http://lowendmac.com/musings/09mm/cpu-efficiency.html

Looks like those who are getting the low end 13 Macbook Pro is essentially getting a the performance of late year's high end Macbook for a much lower price. Making this generation of 13 inchers indeed a great deal.

I do believe however that the older 2.4 Ghz unibodies have higher capacity HDs - those can easily be upgraded.

The 13 MBP is indeed the spiritual successor of the 12 Powerbook. And I'm really tempted to get one myself. :)

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Was the MacBook 2.4 late 2008 expensive before than the new one now? I have a friend doctor wants to buy now. will direct her to DW.

3. Provboy

Provboy PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Don't forget to add the higher quality screens used in the new 13 inchers. Good value overall

4. AlexG

AlexG Member

Yup. The Macbook 2.4 late 2008 model was a bit more expensive than the new 2.26 MBP. With this, I it would make more sense get the newer one. Charlie (of DW) offers a great price for this.

5. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

for mac lovers and switchers in the Fairview, UP area - also check switch of technohub also they offer good prices especially for educational discounts coming this July 20 to Aug 20. MB is 59k for the entry level MB. was there last night and was surprised @ how good the staff are.. look for gail she might be able to work out a good price..

6. mig

mig Active Member

Basically the same specs all around. 0.17ghz will hardly make a difference. Maybe a second or two shaved off of a loooong encode.

7. teodz

teodz Member

i think, specs wise, it hardly makes a difference, but the option to upgrade to 8GB would make a big difference if you want to future-proof your machine.

8. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i have both 2.4 macbook and 2.26 macbook pro

i've noticed that the 2.26 macbook pro has a better quality of screens

cant tell the performance because the 2.4 macbook have 4 gb memory compare to 2gb of the 2.26 macbook pro

9. glennp00

glennp00 Member

is there a big difference on the quality of the screen bet. the two?also,how about the battery life?i dont really need the firewire and sd card reader hehe.tnx

10. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

not that much difference, the first time i opened the lid, i've noticed that it has more clarity or i say much brighter than the 2.4 macbook

in my observations on the battery, on the 8 hours of sleep mode the macbook pro only consumes 6% while the macbook consumes 10%

as apple advertised the battery of the macbook pro can last up to 7 hours while the macbook can only last for 5 hours

11. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

funny that way back in the 1990s, a 226mhz to 400mhz jump in PC systems enabled a PC to run Windows XP leaving behind the old Windows 95/98 platform, and it cost a premium to upgrade back then - from about 25,000 initial cost to about 35,000 pesos for a 400mhz system. Now we say 174mhz is not that important and won't be noticed. :p

#11 macdrive007, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009