Laptop shipping Singapore to Manila

Discussion in 'General OT' started by alfa, Jan 24, 2019.

1. alfa

alfa Member

My laptop will be replaced under warranty from Singapore. But Singapore shop will only ship to within Singapore. So I need shop to ship to a shipper and then shipper/consolidator brings to Manila

Any recommended courier a la Johnny Air that can ship my laptop from Sing to Manila. I’m trying to avoid mainstream couriers like FedEx, DHL and the like as they are a hassle in terms of documentation and release. Thanks

2. ericb

ericb Active Member

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...shipper will still have to declare it. You need to ask the shipper about possible taxes and duties. Here’s the problem: if the shipper agrees to declare it with the actual value, you will have to pay the corresponding taxes and duties based on that value. If the shipper agrees to under declare it, you will pay a much lower amount in terms of duties and taxes. HOWEVER, how much will the shipper pay to you in case the laptop gets lost in transit (insurance claim)? Up to USD 200.00 to enjoy tax and duty free.

My advice for shipping a high value latop, declare it in full and use Fedex or DHL. Pay the insurance premium up to the actual value and pay the corresponding taxes and duties. Fedex and DHL will collect taxes and duties for you so there is no hassle in documentation and release (at least from my experience).

4. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

5. alfa

alfa Member

Thank you guys for the help, looks like will go with FedEx or DHL as it’s the one recognized by the Singapore store

6. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Will you still be taxed by customs for a used laptop?

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...yes. The rule is over USD 200.00 (including shipping) and you will be assessed. Does not matter if it used or new. And there will not respect “gift.”

8. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Please post how much taxes you paid when it arrives, i'm sure a lot of people would like to know, what the company declared it as and what the local customs fines it as.

9. alfa

alfa Member

will do

10. ebelerma

ebelerma Member

Ever thought of just booking a weekend flight to SG and pick it up yourself (the shipping cost + tax may cost almost the same na)? Less hassle pa in terms of bringing it into Manila

11. alfa

alfa Member

Did this brining the laptop there so I’m avoiding another departure as much as possible