Laptop Hunters ad by Microsoft discussion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Alucard, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Anyone find this ad campaign really interesting? I'm very intrigued at the direction that Micro$oft is going here, and I think it can be pretty effective.

However, they really need to work out the kinks to the ad to iron out the details. They should focus more on the low budget end imho, that's where they beat Apple laptops hands down.

On a side note, I found this little vid in youtube about one of the laptop hunter ads. Hilarious that they neglect to even shoot the commercial properly :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5PBzb1dJc

2. miggytanya

miggytanya Member

Saw the video... That's how microsoft does things I guess. If they can't even shoot a commercial right, how could they make software that works?

Windows 7 is actually good, let's hope Microsoft doesn't mess it up...

3. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

that AD has got a lot of attention of late, microsoft has even been bragging that apple has contacted them to stop running the ads.

personally haven't checked them on youtube yet, perhaps later i will, but honestly if what i read about them on engadget is true is pretty effective, effective enough for apple to drop 100 buks of their prices lol

4. artjazvader

artjazvader New Member

So it was an editing trick. But it still made a point. Even if she did enter the store (which she really did not), she couldn't have found that sub $1,000 17" notebook in there. Unless, there's somebody in that store peddling their 2nd hand macbook...

5. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

Apple had it coming after the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads. Both these campaigns are full of inaccuracies :)

6. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just like the Mac ads, the Microsoft ads are scripted. All the people are actors.

Its normal for companies to tout their pluses and the minuses of the competitors in the states. Apple does it all the time with the "I'm a Mac" ads. Microsoft just hit them back where it hurts as well. The recession in the states is working in favour for Microsoft.

7. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

sorry, but wasn't this already discussed here?

8. miggytanya

miggytanya Member

Gotta admit though, those "I'm a Mac" ads are pretty funny... :D

9. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

There's a new ad campaign countering the hunter ads.. very good punch back..
    Keep it coming Microsoft!!
    This kind of healthy competition makes the end user winners.
    Look at what happened w the new MBP.. better specs, lower price, better value!

10. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

11. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

12. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I prefer the "Homeless Frank" ad.

13. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

this is where things get fuzzy...

because in apple's "im a mac /im a PC" ads its obvious that they are all actors and totally biased. it comes of as a bit pompous but since its all in good humor they get away with it.

but in microsoft's ads there is no warning or disclaimer that everyone is just an actor. its portrayed as reality where they are given a choice to where to get better value they chose a PC. the best part is the money they get handed back after choosing the lower priced PC which if were true is reason enough just to chose a cheaper computer to get more cash back that was never yours to begin with..

so many just assume its real (which is a testament to the ads effectiveness).

the best thing apple could do is sue microsoft and make them put the disclaimer on the bottom of the ads like how they have "these are actors not real doctors" on the bottom of cold medicine ads.

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Many speculate that one positive thing of the Laptop hunter's ad would be influencing Apple's lowering of their laptop prices. Of course, its more likely the global recession that caused it. :)

15. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

^ They probably had it planned even before the "Laptop Hunter" ads.

I saw a couple of the ads last month and they seem pretty straight-forward. Though there is an emphasis towards price and specs rather than usability.

16. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

This made me LOL!

On a serious note, regarding the ads, I think its pretty effective propaganda. Most consumers will not know the difference between DDR2 and DDR3. All they really care about is the number '2 gb, 4gb' etc etc.

And of course, its very hard to actually quantify the value we get for using Mac OSX compared to Windows. Most of it, is subjective after all. But at the end of the day, I was perfectly happy in spending my hard earned money on my macbook pro back in 2007. I had plenty of pc alternatives to choose from, but I'm glad I didn't. After switching to the mac, I'm able to use my computer without the hassles.

Anywayz, I'll stop rambling on. Does Apple really have any room to sue Microsoft on this?

17. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

i don't really care about the ads, lol. if price was the only thing driving sales then apple would lose by a mile. i'm assuming they aren't actors, i think i read somewhere that they were real people, and that at the time apple had yet to release the MBP 13" with a much more competitive price point.

it's understandable the "masses" would opt for a cheaper value pc, not knowing they're not getting as much bang as they can. you have to count in the "wow apple" factor in there hahaha

besides, i read recently if % sold for computers were taken at face value windows PC owns like 80% or something like that however, apple sees it this way....on a market study on "premium priced laptops" apple owns 91% of the pie! Go Steve!

18. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Kids nowadays appreciate Mac. Eat that MS.