Laptop cooling...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by pogi_wireless, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pogi_wireless

pogi_wireless Member

Which do you guys prefer?

Laptop cooling pad or ball risers for your mobile macs? :D

2. Fidel

Fidel Member

I'm happily using a cooling pad right now. I used to have ball risers for my old iBook and I decided not to use it for my MBP for 2 reasons:

1. I was not sure if the velcro sticker attached to my laptop would leave residue or leave some kind of stain on the aluminum body.
    2. The front bottom edge of my iBook got some scratches since the ball risers force the laptop to rest on the balls and that particular edge.

3. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

How about the Cool Feet thingies (I'm thinking about getting them instead, so it would be easier to carry/bring along), are they any better compared to those other options in the market? :slanted:

#3 keyboardstyli, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. castoclown

castoclown Member

Risers or whatever you call them for me. I don't want to drain my battery if I don't need to. :)

5. keyboardstyli

Pardon me, but aren't we discussing about "Laptop cooling" options/preferences on this thread? :slanted:

It's not about being plugged to the power adapter or just being powered by the battery (draining the battery in-effect), but how to help the laptop to dissipate heat more quickly (in order) to avoid a system shutdown due to extreme heat! :eek:

UPDATE: My apologies to castoclown (above) if I somehow misunderstood your earlier remark & thanks to pogi_wireless (below) for clarifying the issue further! :eek: That's why I was asking about these stuff beforehand since I'm still a laptop newbie re: accessories, (I'm mostly a desktop user before) unfortunately.

#5 keyboardstyli, Feb 18, 2009
  6. pogi_wireless

pogi_wireless Member

Sorry guys ... lets narrow it down to using your macs at home.

Obviously the cooling pad eats up power consumption on your battery and risers don't need any.

What's your pick? :D

7. keyboardstyli

Btw, can you still add a poll to this thread (if we're polling for results) :rolleyes: or you can't anymore? :slanted: Just a suggestion. :cool:

#7 keyboardstyli, Feb 18, 2009
  8. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I had the same concern with these 'balls' but the Cool Feet has front errrr feet... (redundant haha.. ) as well...

I chose the laptop coolers because it saves me the hassle of attaching them balls/feet. I just put the MB on top of it and off I go. The drawback is that laptop coolers are less portables than those balls/feet.

9. keyboardstyli

Any specific brands you recommend as a laptop cooler and how much perhaps?

Thanks.

10. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

@keyboardstyli
    Naahh... I just use the cheap, generic ones (P300). IMO, the brand really doesn't matter as long as the fans blow a sufficient amount of air and gives your laptop enough ground clearance. Mine cools my MB by about 3-5 degrees (maybe more).

And yes, get the ones where you can still plug in a USB device so that you won't use up your precious USB ports just for the cooler.

11. ckyboy

ckyboy Member

cool pad here!

12. Lakan

Lakan Member

This has been discussed a lot in other threads.
    Anyway, the most practical for me is using 4 cheap rubber erasers. Yeah, the ones your grade school kids use. Very cheap. No need for velcro attachments. Leaves no residue. Good grip. Easy to remove and carry around. Does the same function as the expensive Cool Feet. Uses no electricity.

13. Fidel

Fidel Member

I don't use the coolpad with the built-in fan, don't think I really need it since my laptop's been working just fine with the one I'm using now.

@extremeshot Yeah it's bulkier to bring around so I don't bring it. Haha. It just stays at home.

14. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I use snap balls for years with my previous laptop and also now for my MB. It does the job and it's portable.

15. doughn

doughn Active Member

i got 3 laptop pad w/ fans

1 at home,
    1 at office
    1 portable for (travels)

all cheapo -- kind

#15 doughn, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  16. ilovestars

ilovestars Member

I have a belkin laptop cooler, i use it whenever my mac is plugged in. =) its too hot in the philippines, even our laptops need extra fans!haha

but when im on the go, i just use books or whatever to give it a little air

17. luvkomacko

luvkomacko Member

me i only use my i lap as my laptop riser, aluminum help absorbs the heat generated by my mac.

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here. But I had some terrible buyers remorse for a few day after I got it because it was so pricy. :confused:

I love it to death though, and can't seem to stop using it with my Macbook. :)

19. Fidel

Fidel Member

I was at Powermac Greenbelt yesterday and I saw the Moshi Zefyr Macbook Cooler. Adel gave it a thumbs-up on his review here in the forums as well. I checked the website and they have a bigger version for MBP users too.

Just a little addition to the variety of laptop cooling options we have already discussed here.

20. doughn

doughn Active Member

sir how much is the moshi @ powermac?? TIA