Just ordered Zhiyun Smooth Q from Macy Camera Shop Cebu

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by markandapps, Nov 21, 2017.

1. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

I just ordered Zhiyun Smooth Q from Macy Camera Shop Cebu since it is on sale today with a huge discount. From 9,495 to 7,995 plus 390 shipping fee and 125 Palawan Pera Padala charge rate, equals 8,510. Not bad. Since buying directly from Zhiyun Philippines on Facebook costs 8,545.50 plus 200 shipping.
    I was surprised that they called me and asked for my permission if they could open the box to check inside and to turn on the gimbal if it's working. I asked them if it's Standard Operating Procedure or their standard protocol to do that. Their lady representative told me it was just to check and make sure if the gimbal was working. I reluctantly agreed. Immediately after hanging up I called them back to say no and told I want to be the first to unbox it. Their lady representative told me that the plastic from the box have been already been removed but the box have not been opened.

My question is: when ordering online, is it normal for the store to open the box, check and inspect its contents before shipping it delivery to the customer?

This is my first time to order from Macy Camera Shop Cebu. Last time I ordered online was to Kimstore. I bought an iPad mini. Kimstore never asked for any permission to open or check the box before shipping the package to me.

P. S. Thank you for your answers, insights and opinions on my previous thread. Really big help and part in my decision to proceed buying the Zhiyun Smooth Q.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...for on-line purchases, opening the product for whatever reason is not SOP. The reason for that is manufacturers of products have presumably tested the product and passed their quality assurance procedure before sealing the product for shipment to either the distributor or direct to the customer. But, in your case, you consented. They asked. You gave.

The only exception is if the item has to go through Customs inspection (for taxation purposes) and even then, the product has to be opened in your presence. The important thing is to make sure that the product warranty is still intact (normally 1 year).

markandapps and Dipp like this.
  3. markandapps

Thank you. I was really surprised they asked to open the package. Very dubious. On my part, very foolish of me to give my consent. I hope no tampering or replacing of parts occurred. I hope my call back of retraction wasn't late.
    Big big lesson for me. Had difficulty of sleeping last night

4. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

I’ve read some reviews regarding some Smooth Q that is not functioning from power up, some powered up but the motor is dead. Macy’s is just making sure you recieve a working gimbal especially, they’re going to ship the product and it will add cost if you’ll return the gimbal if you found out upon opening it and it is not working.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^I was actually thinking of the same thing... They will spend for shipping the item to you so if it's not working, are you willing to pay for 2 way shipping fees for the replacement?

Here in SG, buyers don't test/check the items in shop after the payment (except for phone purchases) so it's quiet annoying to buy an item and have it returned to the service centre if something goes wrong...

Positive side of bringing home a factory sealed gadget... The new gadget scent...

ronjet likes this.
  6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

When i bought mine thru a store, the seller ask me if i he can open the seal to check. Good thing he did that coz the first one has a motor problem so he replaced it with another stock.

ronjet likes this.
  7. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

Agree. No way for online purchases - unless it was specified in the Terms/Conditions before checking out for that specific product.

8. raypin

Mm...the problem with pre-checking are: 1. You have no way of ascertaining if the unit is brand-new or refurbished. 2. There's always the risk that the dealer may damage or mishandle the unit during the check up. It could be fully functional upon delivery but watch out for scuffs, marks and other cosmetic damage.

I always prefer sealed.

ronjet likes this.
  9. markandapps

I get it that they want to ensure that the product is working and will save me from future hassle of my time and resources. I just hope no other motive/agenda is behind it. I trust them, me buying from them is a testament to that.
    But if Macy have doubts with a Zhiyun sealed product, should I have doubts as well?
    Or, it's either they don't reciprocate my trust by not trusting me with a Zhiyun sealed product or they don't trust Zhiyun sealed products at all. Either way, they shouldn't be selling the product to the customers if they themselves have serious doubts about the product or their supplier.
    Thank you for the insights.

10. raypin

mm...that's the risk with a Chinese brand (Made and Created in China). Cheaper nga but the quality is not always at par with Western-designed products.

I bought it because it is cheaper nga and I'm just a casual user (strictly for recreation and not for professional work). So far, no problem with my Smooth Q.

11. markandapps

Same here, for recreation and maybe filming family occasions. I always wanted a gimbal for myself but they're so expensive until I learned about Zhiyun.

Chinese brands are getting better and making their mark. I agree the best thing about them is the price, very appealing and competitive. If only they commit fully in the Philippine market and have a physical stores. I think the likes of Zhiyun, Xiaomi or Oneplus will thrive.

How many months have you been using your Smooth Q?

12. raypin

Mm...got mine April or May. Have used it a couple of times.

13. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Here in China, it sells for only ¥799 (about ₽6,120) inclusive of shipping (within Mainland China). :p
    IMG_1946.PNG

#13 Qin Zhi, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    ronjet, macjobber and markandapps like this.
  14. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Got mine from an OLX vendor, new, sealed, for P6,500 plus shipping. It came with everything Chinese, though, but easy to download English manual. Happy so far. But yeah, most of my online gadget purchases, were sealed.

15. markandapps

How's your Smooth Q doing? Did the vendor offer warranty?

16. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

^ Doing fine naan, though I use it mainly for the GoPro, with a 3D-printed adapter. Warranty? Can't remember if there was discussion of warranty, but the fact that it's a gray unit (it's accompanying manual being Chinese), I assume I can't expect much. Kung di naman ganon ka mamahaling gadget, ok na for me na it's working when it arrived. Ibang usapin na kung medyo costly na, like laptops and dSLRs.

17. raypin

Mm..from my personal assessment, the Smooth Q is a durable product......durable enough to withstand casual use. I use it only for special occasions like an out of town trip or birthdays. With reasonable use, it should last a couple of years so I can live with the risk of not having local warranty and repair support.

18. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Only thing im concerned of is the non-removeable batteries. Otherwise, its great product for its price.

19. raypin

Mm..mitigated by using an external battery once the internal battery deteriorates. Just strap one.

20. markandapps

I'm okay with the non-removeable batteries. Is the charging time from less than 10% to 100% really 6 hours? I've been using it for more than 6 hours and the blue light is blinking 3x. The smooth q is an endurance machine.