Jumping Cursor

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by akit, Jun 5, 2008.

1. akit

akit Member

Ciao to all you good Samaritans around. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced a case of the ‘jumping cursor’.

While pounding on the keyboard in Microsoft Word I noticed that my cursor has erratically jumped into a different line somewhere in the paragraph causing a jumble of words and sentences.

It’s very, very annoying and frustrating having to cut and paste the mixed up words and sentences to where it should originally be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

does your palm sometimes rest on the trackpad? that's the only way I can think of from experience that causes the cursor to jump. Especially if both palms touch the trackpad.

It happens to me when I keep the marware keyboard microfiber clothe cover one side of the trackpad while typing - I leave it there so I won't lose it. I figured the fibre touches the trackpad while I use the trackpad. It causes my cursor to jump half a screen away.

3. akit

akit Member

Thanks for that speedy response bacchus_3.

I only use a white sheet of paper as my track pad as I find it quite smooth to use. What I notice is that the cursor would jump to where I last left the cursor after moving the mouse (which is an Okion retractable optical mouse). Could the mouse be the culprit?

4. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

Bacchus was referring to the laptop trackpad.

Most likely the mouse. Try using a better quality mouse like Logitech, Microsoft, or Delux (cheap but good).

5. bacchus_3

edit: I got confused with akit's post too. Thanks Gomi.

6. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Yeah it could be the mouse. It happens to me too sometimes. For some strange reason, my BT mouse would start acting up and the cursor would jump around my screen. I think it happens when another BT device is nearby. I'm not really sure but I get that when I turn on my phone's BT.

7. bacchus_3

optical = using infrared right? as opposed to those laser mouse? By experience they are the most 'jumpy' mouse I've used especially when they are low in battery or have interference.

8. akit

akit Member

Thanks for the correction Gomi. I seldom use the laptop's track pad so I was just thinking about the mouse pad. Harhar. Btw, my optical mouse is not battery operated but a USB type.

But come to think of it, could an optical mouse get distortions from a BT? Almost all the time, we tinker with our laptops with our cellphones beside us. Hmmm... I always have my phone's BT open for my BT earpiece.

9. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

Unless it's a BT or RF mouse there shouldn't be any interference.

Now that you've mentioned it, I always had the "jerky" mouse problem with my BTMouse whenever my PowerBook is set to "discoverable" and there are those virus-infested Nokia phones in the area. :p

10. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

In my experience, any other BT device around me would cause interference and make my mouse cursor jump all around. It's like my mouse would have a life of its own hehe. My way out of this mess is to turn my Mac's BT off then turn it back on again. My mouse would work fine then even if there are other BT devices present.

11. akit

akit Member

Ok guys...I've made several tests awhile ago turning the BT of my phone and laptop OFF then ON like real crazy while typing and I just can't see any difference.

This time, my cursor has not gone loco but rather, for the entire duration of my experiment, it has been behaving like a kid who has had a bout of spanking.

Anyways, let's listen to others who have had weird experiences about the jumping cursor and their remedies. TTFN.

12. hotSHOT

hotSHOT Member

this is happening to me now on my mbp. not sure what is causing the jump. although it randomly happens from time to time...it is still annoying! is this a mouse problem? or driver? please help. :(

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

have you tried a different mouse? see if you can replicate the problem.