July 11 Apple Day of Infamy or D-Day

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by dasaint, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

It has been 24 hours since July 11 for most parts of the world. We have seen Itunes 7.7 problems , Iphone 3g activation challenges , MobileMe being erratic etc. .

I felt a bit let down by Apple . I do understand the large influx of down loaders and users due to the new releases but for a name brand synonymous to "it just works" . I was disappointed with their preparation and implementation.

How about you whats your opinion?

2. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

there's always bound to be the first time. this is just a glitch on Apple's service.

No biggie for me.

3. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

I haven't experienced any issues with MobileMe... I'm still logged in since it opened yesterday, everything working as expected.

4. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

Ya things like these always happen. It's not like Apple has just up and left. They'll always make fixes for these glitches. Relax and wait for the fix. Some people are experienced enough not to go with the hype and madness of the first day release of such products and services.

5. scorpiocec

scorpiocec Member

Nobody is perfect. :)

6. achtungbaby

achtungbaby Member

I can understand this situation for new subscribers, but for the old ones that were affected by this launch - it's just plain unacceptable.

7. jsg123

jsg123 Active Member

Apple doesn't really have a good track record with regards to scaling their services. Just look at .Mac :)

8. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Well... MobileMe is very sluggish in my end... esp. the Contacts. And while I can log in, I can't log out, hahaha... :p I also can't seem to avail of the 2.0 upgrade. It would always say the iTunes store is down.

Oh well, I guess even Apple isn't immune from first day glitches. I bet Steve Ballmer is laughing his head off. Tsk!

Apple's launching the new iPhone + the 2.0 upgrade in 21 countries almost simultaneously. I guess their servers can't handle all the requests. An Apple critic might say Apple bit off more than what it can chew this time.

Me? I'm in no rush, really. Work out all the kinks first before I step in. I like the simple life. ;)

9. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

In what way, exactly, do you mean?

10. dominiquejames

If you were Apple or Steve Jobs, what would you have done to prevent something like this, or, what would you do to remedy and fix and make right what seems to you as "plain unacceptable"?

11. dominiquejames

I would imagine that Ballmer would be quite envious. For all intents and purposes, and though it could have been handled way better, in some ways, I see this as an indication of Apple's marketing success: people rushing to buy and taking advantage of upgrading to try new apps and buy some.

12. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Good point, dominiquejames. At least, pinagkakaguluhan. :p

13. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

In humble opinion it was simply bit too much perhaps for even Apple to bite.
    They released so much things in one day. I really doubt anyone could even have done it better.

They doing all what they could.

But they should have staggered the release of the MobileMe , Itunes , Iphone 3G .

They smart enough to know what happens when you release a hardware that relies on a web based softwares etc they would be swamped.

They could have put up MobileMe 1st then when thats running well , release Itunes 7.7 , then release the firmware 2.0 when that's well and good, release the Iphone 3G

But Apple wanted to bank of the hype it generated for July 11 . so they tried to do everything in one go and its showing that they cant. They preferred the Hype over prudence.

When you think about it they never did something like this on this scale in one day and with what is happening I don't think they will do it again.

14. super_ed

super_ed Active Member

6821 Ayala Avenue, cor Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue
    No problems on my end too, to think I've just renewed my .Mac account last night, minutes after Apple Store in the US opened doors for iPhone 3G.

15. 180er

180er New Member

I am able to sync my iCal with MobileMe. But my system preferences doesn't have the MobileMe icon still.

16. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I don't hate Apple but I was disappointed as well. I believe they have all the facts at hand; the number of first gen iPhone and iPod Touch owners, dot Mac subscribers, and the potential sales they will generate on the first day. They should have anticipated that all of these subscribers would attempt to connect, activate and download on day 1 but look what happened to the servers. I see a lack of preparation here. Something that is not too acceptable especially if you are a big company like Apple. Like dasaint said, Apple tried to do too many things at the same time and it was a disaster, sad to say. Another surprising thing is that we have not received any explanation of what was going on.

By the way, did any of you guys receive an announcement that the web services will be down while they are migrating to MobileMe?

#16 Bulakbol, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  17. dominiquejames

Bulakbol, sounds like Apple alright.

18. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

I thought there were announcements regarding of web services to be down while migrating? I recieved an email about it. Didn't really bothered much about it though.

Is it really launching day for MobileMe as well? Aren't they gonna announce that its finally up? Coz, last time I checked it wasn't announced on the website yet. That's why it's having lots of problems, because its still on the Beta stage?

No problems on my Mobile Me service by the way. :rolleyes:

19. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

it was all a little bit too much for Apple. 5 new products over one weekend is enough to shut down any company's servers. But overall, i give them 4/5 stars for this fantastic week. :)

AppStore rocks! :)

20. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Nope, I never got any email about the migration nor any announcement about when MobileMe will be up. I found out about it here at PhilMug on the day it was already having problems.