Japanese Grocery in Manila?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by imart, Aug 6, 2019.

1. imart

imart Well-Known Member

Is there any Japanese grocery / store in Manila that sells Muscat grapes?

Thanks!

Juice likes this.
  2. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try Little Tokyo in Makati.

3. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

I'll try to see if I get to drop by New Hatchin (also in Makati) has them.

4. imart

imart Well-Known Member

Thanks folks! will try to phone them too, hoping they got contact details online. Cheers!

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

6. imart

imart Well-Known Member

Tried messaging New Hatchin and this muscat is not sold there.

I'm too hesitant to carry a bunch of it, which is also available here in Singapore, since I have never tried flying with any prutas or gulay into Manila. Besides, it's quite delicate and highly recommended to have it chilled until it reaches Ilocos. Nope, wala pong naglilihi :D:D:D

Sunil_K, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can keep them frozen in plastic containers when bringing them in. Singapore is like 3.5hrs away so a good chill will last 5hrs tops. Laoag via plane is 1.2hrs so my guess is it’ll be close.

I like to say I actually never heard yet of muscat grapes. I dunno how you can hold off eating them instead :LOL:

8. eag

eag Well-Known Member

Konbini Store along Connecticut Street, Greenhills is a Japanese store, though I don't know whether they sell muscat grapes.
    You can try calling to ask - (02) 7224263

JohannChua and imart like this.
  9. imart

imart Well-Known Member

apparently, i brought along this classmate, who visited japan for the first time and after tasting and falling deep in love with the muscat sold somewhere in tokyo, he would auto-nag me to get this super expensive fruit upon hearing that i'm flying home. i suggested that he gets it in manila instead but it looks like we could thrive with whatever table grapes that abound in stalls there. i would pass by isetan here and readily smile at the price tag - S$128 for that bunch (probably around 40 pieces that's probably about PhP 120 kada bilog). i would probably get it if and only if i need to feed an emperor. i'd rather buy lechon :D

sounds doable with the segmented trips but i won't be babying this damn grape as my short visit only limits my route within manila. so there's no guarantee for the ultimate survival of this fruit once it's passed to anyone who doesn't value the sugoiness of things revered in Nippon. :D

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  10. raypin

Mm...should survive. Buy a large thermos. Lol!

Haven't tasted that type of grapes before. Will look for it sa Takashimaya dep store along orchard. Meron kaya free taste? Lol!

11. imart

imart Well-Known Member

^ Hahaha! To be honest, judging from one who has been consuming fruits as usual, it's nothing really spectacular. Many would say prutas lang yan. LOL!

Muscat has this crunchy texture, firm to the touch but has distinct sweet, "fruitier" flesh - from a first-timer's remarks. Iba sya. If you haven't seen videos about how the Japanese grow their Muscat, it would be tough to appreciate the quality and value of the produce.

I highly doubt about it being thrown away for free taste. If there is, you would certainly know how ferociously kiasu our good friends here might be. We had some of it in Tsukiji but not so sure if it's really Muscat but the grapes were served in regular plastic glasses along with strawberries and other fruits available in Autumn. I can recall my friend sneaking a tad handful when we passed by a grocery and didn't mind about the price tag at all.

Speaking of price, I dropped by Isetan Shaw last night and my god. It's now sold for S$180 for a freakin' bunch of grapes. They look so supple and before I could even take out my phone to snap, a rude staff readily gave me a mouthful about photography - enough to shoo me away. I wasn't even taking a mobile photo of the Thai King. I couldn't blame her but judging from my itsura, akalain ba nyang makakabili ako ng ubas na tig-P6,750 petots? Hahaha! Then another staff, started asking icky questions like "you tourist? you work singapore?" Then I quickly reminded myself that they need their jobs.

raypin likes this.
  12. raypin

Mm...par for the course for the looked-down upon Filipinos. Shrug it off.

The shine muscat (probably a variety of the muscat grapes) is available at Takashimaya (basement 2) for sgd 65 per bunch (small). Found it here under seasons:

http://www.kyoho.com.sg/season.html

They do look plump and juicy. I ve read that it is as sweet as candy.

imart likes this.
  13. hitme64

They say the same things here because they work here and they demand that Pinoys respect them here. They’re the most respectable people in the world.

Out of curiosity, I went to that grocery New Hatchin because we were looking for a faster way back to our condo without passing by the very open EDSA, the best road in the world.

It’s like you entered a different world, right smack in Tokyo, except for the staff. Bought some ramen noodles to go and made our afternoon better than a high-strung EDSA commuter.

imart and raypin like this.
  14. imart

imart Well-Known Member

I also heard that New Hatchin has good strawberry shortcake, sufficient to melt your kawaii girl's heart. I might pay a visit since the Katipunan outlet would be a short ride from my hotel.

When I first tried the Muscat grapes, first thing I noticed is that the size is slightly bigger than the usual variants around. Without a knife to half it, you gotta take in whole and break-pop inside your mouth. Oh the crunch and juice and everything nice would play around just like when Remy tried teaching his brother Emile about food and flavors. Continue savoring the sweetness as you remember the videos about the farms that grow Muscat grapes and soon you'll realize why it tastes, priced and revered as it is.

raypin likes this.
  15. hitme64

^Man, talk like that about muscat grapes and we’ll be all crawling the Metro looking for them.

imart likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm...saw a youtube video explaining why those Japanese gift fruits are so expensive. To achieve the highest market price, each fruit has to be perfectly sweet and perfectly unblemished. Melons, for instance, have to have the right skin pattern. It takes Japanese fruit farmers decades of fruit-rearing to achieve that and then only the top 1% are selected for sale as premium gift fruits.

Very labor intensive and grown under optimal conditions + great demand = one hell of an expensive fruit.

Edit: just checked. Dept of Agri regs prohibits the importation of any fresh fruit even for personal consumption. Permit needed.

I remember back in the 80s when we could bring in cartons of Washington apples from HK via Naia. Used for gift-giving during Christmas.

#16 raypin, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  17. raypin

Mm...thanks to @imart here for whetting my appetite for muscat grapes..........bought a bunch at Takashimaya Orchard last Sept.

4AAD4E9F-CE04-42D5-9A06-961338102A81.jpeg

Beautiful. Blemish-free. Uniform size. Firm. Juicy. Not too sweet. Big. And damn expensive at 50 pesos.......per grape.

Is it better than California seedless table grapes? Not really.

imart and JohannChua like this.
  18. imart

imart Well-Known Member

^The color tells me it's firm. I recently bought a bunch from Don Don Donki, the ripe ones with a 20% discount stickie, meant for immediate consumption. Also got to sample-taste the purple/violet kind and boy, it's like having a good, sweet wine on a toothpick!

raypin likes this.
  19. raypin

Mm...what I really wanted to taste was the melon. Php 5,800 per damn fruit.

But I understand the idea behind it.

I also spotted shine muscat at Fairprice. Cheaper but my guess is it is lower quality.

imart likes this.
  20. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

how about Alabang/BF International/Las Pinas area? do you know any stores in those locations? :) TIA