iWork problems with doc and xls files

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Mad Mac, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have iWork 09 on a MacBook Pro. I migrated some Windows office files. The doc won't open in Pages and xls won't open in Numbers. What could be wrong?

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

what's the version of your ms office in windows where you created/opened your documents files?

3. lakemeader

lakemeader New Member

Good evening forum members,

My first gen Macbook white died on me a few months ago and I've since used the Lenovo x200 supplied to me by the office.

Two days ago the hubby came home with an iMac 24-inch (mid 2008) which he said his office was disposing of. The arrival of the iMac triggered a yearning for the ways of the Mac and I found myself in my favorite authorized reseller this afternoon. I brought home my macbook pro 13-inch this evening and was very excited to go back to using an Apple machine again.

But the excitement has turned to frustration and more . I now do plenty of work in Excel. Tried opening a 2.5mb file (has about 5,000 rows of data) which my lenovo opens and handles effortlessly. However, my new macbook pro says it does not have enough memory to open the file. It is pretty underwhelming.

My new acquisition is beginning to look like a wimp. Anybody who can help me? Will appreciate your inputs. Tried the internet for a solution and I've found similar complaints but no solutions so far (either that or my frustration is getting in the way).

TIA,

lakemeader

4. leerocks

leerocks Member

Pages and Numbers takes a lot of memory usage, i.e. if you use it/open it together with other programs, technically, your Mac will slow down, but there is a workaround here. On my opinion, it is mainly basically about the specs of your Macbook, you have to upgrade your Mac to at least 4GB of RAM and at least 500GB of HDD space. In that way, you will notice the effortless capability that you have been wanting. By the way, what is the specs of your Lenovo?

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

....isn't a MacBook Pro the speediest of Macs? And it can't handle a mere 2.5 mb excel file? Sounds weird.

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It's probably a product of too much multitasking.

7. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Although most of us want to use a pure Mac software like iWorks, I keep a copy of NeoOffice for use with MS Office files. I find NeoOffice handles them better than iWorks.

8. rvaph

rvaph Active Member
    Supporter

My problem is when I open my Word file on Pages, I lose all my formatting. and when I open my Pages file with Word, it automatically uses the default formatting of word. This also happens with Keynote to PowerPoint. I am sometimes frustrated by this.

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

I sometimes experience problems opening a word file using pages when I just double click the doc file. But when I open pages first then choose file then open document, it opens easily. With iwork 09 I could open even windows 7 or vista files.

However, when I open a doc file using pages I also lose my formatting, especially tables. But i don't experience a lot of problems in converting from keynote to powerpoint. If you don't want to lose your formatting, it's better to use office for mac or windows through bootcamp. I haven't tried neo office but I think it would work, and the best part is it's free.

10. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

Are you using iWork? Try Office:Mac instead. I have huge Excel files too, and I don't open them in iWork. I use Numbers only when creating new files which I think Numbers can handle.

Conversions will always have incompatibilities. :)

11. makinao

makinao Active Member

lakemeader: What app were you using to open that excel file? Numbers? Excel for Mac 04? Excel for Mac 08?

12. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i'll follow Phil's advice. I only work with MS files with MS Office for Mac. I have the 2008 version in my MB and the 2004 version in my iMac. i've never had problems with Excel or Powerpoint files, regardless of how big the files are.