iWork 08, iLife 08, .Mac question

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by XXX, Aug 20, 2007.

1. XXX

XXX Member

Just want to ask a few question regarding these two,

.Mac - is this really have 10GB shared space for emails ? this is what i got after my 60 days trial period expires and if this is true we have plans in getting a family pack

iLife 08 - would this be a good choice intead of just using the lower version ? not yet studied this software, specifically for what purpose thus it do ?

iWork 08, this is definitely have a go for this one but from your expert experience would it be advisable to wait for the beta version if there will be one ?

software guru's inputs please thanks :)

2. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

.mac - yes it's 10gb for emails and data storage for single users. 20gb for the family pack.

iLife 08 - yes it will be a better choice. Look here to see what it can do - http://www.apple.com/ilife/

iWork 08 - wait for a beta version? why wait for a beta when this is already a full version.

3. jsg123

jsg123 Active Member

Apple hardware have iLife '06 bundled - try it out first and see if you like it and probably stay with it for a while. iLife '08 has some significant changes especially with iMovie so checking out '06 first before taking the plunge is a good strategy to take.

iWork '08 has a trial pack out at http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/ which you can use for 30 days for free

4. XXX

XXX Member

many thanks for the replies, already ordered it in amazon.com by my friend who will be in manila end of this month, its only $90 for the family pack

@Maverick, if a single user has 10GB of space, when you say 20GB for the family pack you mean 20GB per user ? o shared na 5 users ?

5. macbeth

macbeth Member

i think that family pack's 20G is divided into 5.. so that means 4G per user..

6. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

I believe it's 10gb for the primary user and 2.5gb for the remaining 4 users.

7. macbeth

macbeth Member

oh.. thanks for the correction.. :)

8. XXX

XXX Member

@maverick many thanks for the info :)

9. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

no problemo macbeth & triple x :D

10. pengski

pengski Active Member

Apple said you can open MS Office documents thru iWork’08.
    (Word -> Pages; PowerPoint -> Keynote and Excel -> Numbers)

How? Import or just drag and drop?

Now after opening the MS documents via iWork’08 and saving it… can you go back and open it thru MS Office again?
    (Can Word open a Pages document?) (Can PowerPoint open a Keynote document?) (Can Excel open a Numbers document?)

11. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Double click on any MS Office file and it will be opened by a corresponding iWork application. To save it for example, in Excel you should export it to an Excel file. You could even save your document as a PDF file.

12. mactwist

mactwist Member

I tried opening a Page '08 doc via Word for Mac '04, and it wouldn't do it. I had to save the Page doc as a Word doc first before Word for Mac could open it.

13. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

That is correct. Pages can open a .doc file but Microsoft Word cannot open a .pages file. For it to work, you should export the file first to Word format.

14. ikenn

ikenn Member

same with numbers and keynote. they can read MS office files but MS office files can't read them.

15. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

my macbook came with '08 bundled...

iMovie '08 wasn't as good as iMovie '06, so i uninstalled it and replaced it with iMovie HD (downloadable from the apple site - to be used only with iLife '08)...

16. RommelReyes

RommelReyes Active Member

it's what you would expect from Microsoft :(...

17. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

That's understandable because MS Office is yet in their 2004 iteration. Hopefully, we'll have better compatibility across the board when the 2008 version comes out, or perhaps if the Microsoft Business Unit of Apple rolls out an software update before that. For now, we have to live with the workarounds mentioned above. I believe this is more of a concern with Excel because many users still opt to stick with Excel (or maybe not since Excel-users won't touch Numbers with a ten-foot pole, again FOR NOW).

#17 Chito Limson, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  18. blacksocks

blacksocks Member

iWork 08 does not work with OS X 10.4.9 and below. iLife 08 does.

iLife 08 is better integrated with .Mac, so go for it to take full advantage of your .Mac account.

19. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

uhmm...what? hehe