iWork '06: New Features

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by hannibal, Jan 15, 2006.

1. hannibal

hannibal Guest

i was actually searching the forums for an iWork '06 thread but couldn't find one so i decided to start off a new one here. as macworld.com puts it, "Despite the fact that the (Steve Jobs) entire presentation was done using Keynote, the release of iWork ’06 received very little attention during the keynote. At its introduction last year iWork got the full song and dance and features review, but this year it barely merits a mention."

so i checked out the new features of Keynote 3 and Pages 2 and i must say i am impressed at how it was improved over the last revision. i know it's far from perfect and the lack of an Excel killer, which many thought would be called Numbers, is disappointing to some, but at $79, i believe this is worth an upgrade considering that Microsoft's Powerpoint is still priced at a much higher rate.

so, which philmugger has a copy already?

thanks.

2. rdelrio

rdelrio Member

i believe its not yet available here. maybe we can ask longbeard if it is already available in hongkong.......order ako pag meron na.....pero apple recommends you also upgrade to ilife 06

3. elbert

elbert Active Member

We presented iWork '06 in the recent PhilMUG meet:

Here's a summary of new features:
    Shared features include:
    - high impact 3 dimensional charts with realistic textures
    - advanced image editing for adjusting photos right in pages and keynote
    - dramatic image reflections
    - new freeform shapes and image masks
    - tables that let you set-up calculations just like a spreadsheet
    - and reviewer comments that won’t affect your layout

Additional features in Pages 2:
    - new templates
    - Mail marge with drag-and-drop functionality from Address Book
    - Page Thumbnails
    - Search View (works just like Find All in Preview)

Additional Features in Keynote 3:
    - New Apple-designed themes
    - New cinematic transitions (like Blinds, Doorway, Fall, Reflection, Revolving Door, Swoosh and Page Flip)
    - Interleaved Builds
    - Light Table View
    - Exposrt to iLife (i.e. export to iDVD 6 for playback in regular DVD players, or export to iPhoto 5 or use presentations for GarageBand podcasts).

iWork '06 will probably retail around P6K locally. Well worth the price, if you ask me.

4. rdelrio

rdelrio Member

lets hope the local store will retail it for 6k.

5. mistermoya

mistermoya Active Member

Keynote to Powerpoint

Hi there!

i didn't want to start a new thread for this question but I remember reading somewhere on the Keynote features that you can export the presentations to work with Microsoft Powerpoint.

Has anyone had experience doing this?

My worry is that considering the pristine quality of Keynote presentations, am worried that it will lose the quality when exported as a Powerpoint presentation. Also, how much of its features are compromised by the export.

I often have to give clients some presentations and since most of them aren't Mac users, I have to give it in Powerpoint format. How are some features on Keynote translated to a Powerpoint export.

thanks!

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

I've tried a few exports to powerpoint and it was fairly straightforward. All the contents were intact, no missing bullets or slides :) of course none of the transitions were retained but backgrounds and some bullet styles remained the same.

I highly suggest reviewing the presentation after exporting to powerpt :)

7. mistermoya

mistermoya Active Member

Oh okay...thanks Kelvin! :)