iWork '06 Activation code

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by hilaga, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hilaga

hilaga Member

I just received a private message fom someone who just recently signed up here at philmug. She was asking if I could give her the activation code for iWork '06 because she wants her demo copy to be fully functional. I promptly reprimanded her for her audacity. Has anyone gotten a similar request via PM? Mods, is there a sanction for doing such?

2. uio

uio Guest

Really brave proposal for me Am not going to give my activation code for my iWork '06. I know a friend who gave his activation code for his microsoft office for mac. When they were both online, the one who uses his microsoft first would be able to use it and the other user can not open his microsoft. So I guess it's the same for iWork.
    If he uses his iWork first and you're both online, you will not be able to use your iWork and you're the owner of that software. So beware giving it.

3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i think we can be a little lenient on newbies who don't know any better, but let this be a warning: piracy is not condoned in philmug. please secure and pay for your own software to avoid any unpleasant complications like this, many thanks!

4. antz

antz Active Member

this is urban legend.

5. uio

uio Guest

of course not!!!!!

6. elbert

elbert Active Member

You got it all wrong about iWork. Although I do not want to suggest or encourage software piracy, the truth is, iWork doesn't go snooping around the network for any other computer using the same same activation code.

7. uio

uio Guest

well for microsoft office for mac, that is the case. I have witness it personally for my two friends who shared the software.
    Hmmm.. maybe somebody would try it for iWork. Share it with somebody and see if it's the same with microsoft.

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

uio, you don't want to take my word for it?

9. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

i agree with antz88c and elbertc.

10. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Same thing with MS Office, you can use identical serial numbers regardless that those computers would not be connected via LAN.

11. kartman

kartman Member

nope it isn't urban legend. i've seen it happen too, but only when both computers are connected to the internet or LAN. the other user is even identified in the dialog box that pops up.

#11 kartman, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  12. elbert

elbert Active Member

Actually, not the Internet but LAN. As long the two computers are on the same local network (LAN). In one of the offices I manage, a couple of the Macs were registered with the same activation key by accident (it's to do when managing 7 suites with 3 keys each). It's only when those two computers are connected to the LAN that the shared key is an issue. When the ethernet cable is removed, no problem.

13. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

yes i have experinced this first hand. if the same computers access the internet using the same network (ie connecting thru the same wireless router) then both the computers will "see" each other as identical hence one will not work or even both :D

14. kartman

kartman Member

yes, always happens on computers on a LAN. but a few years back, the ms word on the computer i used wouldn't launch because, as the dialogue box said, the same license was already being used by someone else (not from the same office so he wasn't on our LAN. but i did know the guy. i wanted to give him a call and ask him to get off the internet. hahaha).

15. essay

essay Active Member

On the contrary, it is not an urban legend.

I have witnessed this myself. WHen two computers, having the same single license MS Office, are both online (using airport express) at the same time, only one of them can use MS office. One computer received a warning, "YOu cannot use MS office since it is already in use.." (Something like that.)

But with iWorks, I don't have first hand info whether it behaves the same way as MS office. But elbert's info about this is enlightening.

16. michaelkenji

michaelkenji Active Member

bottom line: refer to sir butch's post.. :)

and another nice little info learned.. :)