iWeb '08

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Theus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

so, has anyone upgraded yet?:rolleyes: seriously thinking of getting a copy but read some problems early users are having:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1075520&tstart=0

i've purchased a couple of 3rd party iWeb templates, embedded a guestmap & guestbook to our site and it would really be a nightmare if everything gets out of whack.

iWeb's my most heavily used app but i'm afraid i may have to defer purchase until the issues are resolved.

2. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

just got mine but haven't had the chance to play with it yet. just read the discussions and it's quite scary. better back up your stuff first before creating a new site.

3. macbeth

macbeth Member

uh-oh. that forum is now giving me a headache. tsktsk, i just updated my iLife. :(

4. Theus

Supporter

yeah i guess for first time iWeb users it's okay. but for those like me using iWeb 06 for over a year now, it's too much of a risk / hassle to upgrade. it gets worse, just read that my purchased templates won't work on iWeb '08 :(

5. stanley

stanley Guest

Professional Rule: DO NOT update/upgrade software when you are in the middle of a project or about to start a project. Give yourself time to study the new update/software and know its workflow. After then you can integrate the new workflow with your current system and the transition will be smooth.

6. macbeth

macbeth Member

i just updated my website. so far, i'm loving the new design. i didn't encounter the problems stated by the people at the forum of the link posted above.

here's my personal .mac website.. really nice new layout.. :)

7. Theus

Supporter

nice! :) glad to hear you didn't have problems with the update. me? i'll wait awhile.

8. macbeth

macbeth Member

hehe take your time.. though, honestly, i did a bit of overhauling after i changed the theme of my blog site. just ten minute editing or so. not really a problem..

what i love about the new iWeb is that you can add widgets that feature your iPhoto '08 web gallery. i had fun tinkering with the web gallery as well hahaha...

there's also a feature in iWeb where you can add google adsense.. where you can earn money by posting a small google ad widget/link in your site.. so iWeb will assist you to get an account in google adsense site.. hopefully there will be people who'd click on the links so that my site can earn some cash.. hahaha i'm not counting on it though.. then again, it's worth trying anyway..

9. john edward

john edward Member

can the new version import code from an existing site for editing?

10. john edward

john edward Member

how about build one from scratch so that you achieve exactly the look and functionality you need. when i tried it the app seems to just work with set templates and designs...

11. Theus

Supporter

i can't achieve same look as my welcome page & 2 "about me" pages are 3rd party templates, which currently don't work with iWeb '08.

any of you have embedded guestbook & guestmap? how was the transition?

12. macychic

macychic Member

Help, I get this error message whenever I choose a template in iWeb (I believe this is iWeb '08), I never deleted any fonts, what gives?

when i never encountered this error message when i was still using my iBook (with iLife '06) :(

see attached photo. thanks! :(

13. Theus

Supporter

search for those fonts in your fonts library then copy to your iWeb fonts library. happened to me before. hth.

14. macychic

macychic Member

thanks lot! :)

15. macbeth

macbeth Member

there's a new iWeb '08 update available. I hope this fixes the problems you guys mentioned.

16. hannibal

hannibal Guest

thanks for the heads-up, macbeth! downloading the update now.

17. jsg123

jsg123 Active Member

I think the update worked for me today...

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

the update removes the irritating startup prompt to select a Domain file. That's good for people who are managing a single site. For those who have multiple sites, i guess it's back to iWebsites.

19. hannibal

hannibal Guest

been playing around with iWeb '08 since last week and i am satisfied with its performance so far. i have never encountered the same problems i had when i was still using the '06 version especially when publishing it.

20. Theus

Supporter

will iLife '08 overwrite iLife '06?. i guess my concern is if i can still use iWeb '06 (i hope i'm making sense).