I've finally gone Leopard!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by vicoyski, Feb 14, 2009.

1. vicoyski

vicoyski Member

After over a year of mulling it over, I've finally upgraded my 2 year-old MBP's OS from Tiger to Leopard, last Thursday, Feb. 12. I felt that the current 10.5.6 version seemed stable enough based on the stories I've been reading.

The upgrade from Tiger went without a hitch! None of those horror stories I've read at the introduction of Leopard.

I got a Mac Box Set, so I got iLife 09 and iWork 09 with my Leopard... After a successful upgrade, all my previous programs from my Tiger OS still work well (I do so love my ComicLife! :D )... The first feature that I tried out was the Time Machine. Having an external 1TB drive is great. So, I'm now set-up should, God-forbid, a fatal crash occur... ;)

Just felt like sharing...

2. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I want to get comic life din. kaso it's not pre installed in Leopard. where can i get it?

3. Tecson

Tecson Member

cograts Vicoyski,

where/how much did you purchase your ilife box set??
    are u using 1TB time capsule or just external drive? my external drive is not that compatible with Mac so a bit curious about yours

4. gracegal

gracegal Member

wow! congrats vicoy! i've been wanting to have that Mac Box Set in my MBP too. I just have to prepare our budget for that. Hope you would give us tips on how were you able to go about the successful upgrade with no problem. thanks.

5. vicoyski

vicoyski Member

I got my retail Mac Box Set from iStudio for P8T++. It was actually sort of an impulse buy... Haha!

I use a Western Digital 1TB My Studio Edition external drive.

My upgrade was, of course, preceded by a back-up of all my files, in case the install fails and I need to format the MBP's drive. I then went to Disk Utility, selected the MBP's drive and verified and repaired disk permissions. After doing that, I dove in... :D

I'm quite glad the installation went well without a single issue!

6. vicoyski

vicoyski Member

I believe you can purchase it from plasq.com... ;)

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

@TS:

great to have you on board! Let's sail to the Snow Leopard's release shall we?

#7 rdy0329, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

@TS: did you have to back up your files? o pwedeng direct install lang and your files are not affected?

9. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not the TS but I know full upgrade is smooth as silk. Just direct update and don't forget to fix permission after to avoid sluggish boot-ups, other than that, you can install directly...

10. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

Wow! Congrats! I also upgraded using the Mac Boxed Set (Family pack). Now our two Macs (an iBook G4 and a 17" Intel iMac) are now running on Leopard. Did the direct upgrade on both machines with no backup :rolleyes:. Ang lakas ng loob namin ni Misis, eh.

BTW, we didn't do the Repair Permissions part. Is it really necessary? It has now been over a week after the upgrades, and we haven't encountered any sluggishness on boot-ups or during use. In fact, everything seems to be faster.

The only hitch I encountered was with Apple Mail. It seems that it was a common issue when using the Mac Boxed Set to do the upgrade from Tiger 10.4.11. After Googling, I discovered that I only had to delete a couple of rule files when starting up the upgraded Mail for the first time.

My wife and I are now using an external 640GB drive as our Time Machine backup. The said drive also serves as our shared iPhoto library. It'll be our shared iTunes library too once I get down to it.

11. dbmonster

dbmonster Member

Congrats Vicoyski. Am still mulling whether to upgrade from tiger to leopard. I find the tiger very stable on my 1.83 Ic2d 4gb macbook, it did not give me any hiccups at all since i got it brand new early 2007 reason am still staying with tiger. Am still on observation tour with leopard before i migrate and would take the same route as yours when i do..

12. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

lucky you. my install back in 2007 caused my MB to fail. had to bring it to Apple for repair. plus, iLife 08 required you to download several gigs worth of apple Loops to fully utilize Garageband 08.