iTunes unauthorized transaction

Discussion in 'Yosemite (10.10)' started by xthine, Jun 14, 2011.

1. braindeadph

braindeadph Member

Slight OT:
    I suggest using a virtual credit card with very low credit limit to link in your iTunes account. BDO or BPI has one.

2. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

^That's what I started using after my iTunes incident. I make one each time I purchase and set a limit.

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Last night, I was having dinner with my family when I received a notification message from my credit card company about an iTunes purchase for 14.99 dollars. I checked all recent transactions from all the iTune account under my credit card and none showed any 14.99 purchase. A few minutes later, the credit card company called and informed me if I recently purchased something from iTunes, because there was an unusual activity on my card. I said no, so they temporary cancelled my card. If I was sure it wasn't my purchase, I should request for a new card to be issued.

Now, I was thinking how do thieves get the credit card info along with the CCV at the back? Could it be whenever I use the card for purchases, the card is exposed to anyone who can see the the CCV security code? I thought about putting a thin sticker to cover the CCV. Or is this and inside job at the credit card company?

My wife's card was also used to purchase something worth 10 thousand sterling pound, a couple of months ago. The credit card had to confirm the purchase and called my wife.

4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ did you register with HBO Now? or any app with an auto renewal setting?

5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I have HBO now on my US account which doesn't have a credit card, which I only load with iTunes gift cards.

6. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think you should also notify Apple about the incident so they can improve security on their end. Do you know what was purchased? It might give you a clue where the weak link in the security is.

7. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Copy that. At least your credit card company was the one who noticed the irregular transaction which means that any unauthorized charges would be reversed.