itunes question

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by soulspain013, Nov 30, 2009.

1. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i want to know how you guys manage your mp3s/media under itunes. did you let itunes organized your files (default) or you do it manually? does itune's automatic organized media files eats up a lot of space? what are your opinions?

2. raze94

raze94 Member

i let itunes manage it for me. if i add files from other folders all i do is drag it into itunes and delete the original file. itunes automatically makes a copy of the file dragged into itunes so there is no need to keep a duplicate. if you need to look for the folder next time for whatever reason it can be found in. Finder/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

3. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i also let it manage for me. itunes does a good job arranging them in folders by artist and by album.

you'll have to delete the original files as iTunes will make a copy inside its folders. else you'd end up with double files.

enjoy.

4. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

thanks!

OT: how do you manage to put wma files into itunes? is that possible?

5. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

6. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

thanks! so, it can convert wma format of windows into mp3 format?

7. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

with switch, yes you can :)
    .wma to mp3 conversion is also available in iTunes, just drag them to your itunes library and it'll convert it for you :)
    good luck:)

8. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

i still manage my music files manually- my weird way of being o.c. with my stuff.

9. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ok! thanks guys! i will leave itunes do its work. :cool:

10. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

same with me, manually manage by creating genre folder:)

11. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

guys i have a question,

whenever i double click on an mp3 file, say a message alert tone i downloaded and tried to install in my phone, itunes gets to be the default player, and the file automatically gets copied in the itunes library and gets automatically played (and succeeded by all the other songs in the library)

This clutters my itunes library. How do i make itunes not the default player. While you're at it. any good music player for the mac? I want to use itunes exclusively for the ipod music collection. Can you please suggest a program to edit id3 tags and artwork other than itunes?

12. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Right click the mp3, open with, (for me, QuickTime or VLC)

13. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

yup. i do that sometimes. but whenever i download one, it gets automatically copied into itunes.

lurker?

14. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Download? or play?

15. tamethewaves

tamethewaves Guest

I do it manually. How do you guys store your music? Are all your mp3s in your hard drive or do you keep an external drive? Like sync with your iPod manually then delete from your system?

16. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@tamethewaves: All Media & Apps stored on the MacBook's onboard hard drive. I can't delete from system, since there's way more media & apps than what my iPod can store.

17. Jericho

Jericho Member

Yeah, try that first and if you feel you need to manage it, you can change it anytime in iTunes Preference window.

18. maxx

maxx Member

@Kiko, try this:

-right click on the file,
    -click on - 'More Info...'
    -on the 'More Info' Window, look for the 'Open with:' Box, choose the App you would like to open the file with, then there's a 'Change All...' Button below to make OSX use the same App to open similar files.

19. Jericho

Jericho Member

I think what you can do here is to right click the file and open via VLC so it will not open in iTunes. The only problem here is that if you download the file and the file opens automatically...

For editing tags, you can open the file in VLC and click Window menu > Media Information. However, you can edit limited information and artwork is not one of them.

Hope this helps...

20. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

guys, I did as maxx suggested. It worked. all mp3s play via quicktime now. Now i can leave itunes uncluttered for syncing purposes.

I haven't tried downloading a file yet to see if it plays automatically where. Ill try later. thanks