iTunes Multi-Libraries

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by IronMan, Oct 9, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Member

I'm not sure if there has been a thread on this [i did a search and found nothing], but i need to know how to create multi-libraries in iTunes within a user account. Is this supported? I googled and found out that Windows iTunes supports this by pressing Shift while double-clicking the iTunes icon. It will then prompt for which library to use.

I'm at work now and i haven't tried it on my Mac. I don't have iTunes on my Windows laptop to verify this.

Is this true? How is it done on a Mac?

Thanks!

2. antz

antz Active Member

#2 antz, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  3. IronMan

IronMan Member

Great! Thanks for confirming antz. ;) I initially thought of creating multiple user accounts.

Will try later when i get home.

Thanks!

4. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

what advantages can you get for having 2 libraries? Im really curious...

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

If you're married, it allows you to personalize your collection without infringing on your spouse's preferences, songs, playlists, etc. You get to keep two separate libraries. That's if you make purchases using one account only, and keep them on one computer.

6. IronMan

IronMan Member

I have multiple iPods and each has its own purpose. One includes language learning stuff for French, German, etc. Another iPod exclusively holds classical music. One iPod holds a mixture of MP3s. Another one, exclusive for M4A/M4P/M4V, etc, etc.

Imagine if you like to do a shuffle and you're language learning tracks get interspersed on your playlist. This is just one of the reasons.

Also, i have more than 120GB of M4As alone so i really need to categorize them into separate libraries. ;)

7. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

nice.. never imagined this before.. now to find me some more music and audio books and what not.. hehehehe

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Now she doesn't have to listen to your Eddie Peregrina collection, ha ha!:D

9. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Doesn't each iPod allow you to sync playlists unique to each device? I was able to do this with an iPod video 5th gen (contains my favorite playlist, video podcasts, and audiobooks), iPod Nano (my girlfriends playlist - think Mariah Carey, Hed Kandi, etc) and a shuffle (just my music playlist) a year ago. I can somehow think it is possible to do what you want with just one library...but I haven't done it the way you wanted.

10. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

bacchus thats the same process im doing as well. But seeing that I will be having 2 more ipods with different caacities, I think multi-libraries are better.

thanks for this thread.

11. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

great tip. i didn't even know this was possible.

12. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

i was already setting up my new library when this question entered my mind.

If I have 2 libraries, would that duplicate the song if I have it on my Library 1 then I added it to my library 2? there would be 2 same song on different itunes folder right?

then that would mean its wasted space on my HD since I have the same song but on a separate library?

arghhhh im so confused...

13. IronMan

IronMan Member

No... I have my music segregated on specific folders [that i organized]. You add them into your iTunes library as pointers only to the actual location of your music files. In this case, you can have an infinite number of libraries without any song being duplicated at all.

In order to accomplish this, you need to disable copying of files into your iTunes folder. I'm not sure if this is the default set up though. Just uncheck that option under Preferences.

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

@iceman........ironman is correct. Press option just before you click on the itunes icon and create a new library. Then uncheck under itunes preferences "copy........." to keep just one copy of your songs in the default or designated music folder. After doing so, just access your music folder and drag the song(s) into the new itunes library. iTunes will then catalog the songs without duplicating the same song (thus avoid wastage of precious HD space) but make sure you do not mess around with the designated or default music folder by relocating it to another location (e.g. an external hard drive). Otherwise, itunes will not be able to locate and play it. To shuttle between libraries, the same procedure applies (option + itunes icon).

15. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

you see that's the problem for me. I started out my Llibrary by having iTunes take control of everything. As I have had the "copy files to library when adding song" been on default.

This pose as a problem for me, especially that I purchase my music on iTunes. It would probably destroy my organized life in iTunes.

Any other work around for this? It would be great if I can open a new library for each iPod I own. hehehe.

16. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

If I do let's say uncheck that option, would the future music I'll be purchasing from iTunes stay on that same folder as I have on default now?

Would it still be categorized by Artist? Im just not gambling and mess up my iTunes Library.

17. raypin

@iceman.....I suggest you switch to your main itunes library when you purchase and download itunes songs, apps, movies or tv episodes. Then switch to your other libraries as needed so you add, delete and sync with your different itunes devices (ipods and iphone). Do the same when you import from an audio CD. To avoid confusion, use a sensible label for each subsidiary itunes library (e.g. itunes ipod 1, itunes ipod 2 etc.). The important thing is you keep all your content in the default itunes library. It doesn't make sense to separate them in different folders or locations.

You can also manually manage your songs or videos but that is the hard way of organizing it. iTunes does a very good job in organizing your digital entertainment fare.

18. theelhombre

theelhombre Member

antz/raypin: if i do the option + itunes trick for the first time, this will be a completely empty library, right? the downside, i suppose, is that if you build a new library with new songs etc etc- this will just eat up hdd memory.

this is a great tip just the same.

19. raypin

@theelhombre......not necessarily (eat up HDD space). If you uncheck under itunes preferences the "copy files to itunes......," and drag your songs to the subsidiary libraries, very little space is consumed since it is only a catalogue listing that takes place. The song(s) remains in the same location or folder and no duplication takes place, regardless of the number of itunes library you create. The only downside I've found is the metadata of the individual songs or albums are not automatically transferred to the new library(s).