iTunes Finds!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by p.pipster, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Before anything, I already tried search and found nothing similar. ;)

I figured I should start a thread of iTunes Finds where PhilMUGers can share their findings in iTunes. Want others to download that song/album you think is awesome, or found yourself a really cool podcast everyone should subscribe to, or want an opinion from someone who has already downloaded and used an app? Here's the all-in-one thread, I guess.

I'll start: I'm a sucker of FREE on iTunes and by far I think this is the coolest free download they have to offer - Battlestar Galactica Webisodes. Currently there are 10 2.5-3.5 minutes of episodes available for free. The best part: they're HD!

[I really did search but found nothing similar] but, to the mods, feel free to close or merge the thread where necessary.

2. Shinobi

Shinobi Member

@p.pipster

2.5 - 3.5 minutes? I'd probably be tempted to buy the entire episode if that's the case. Bitin kasi. BTW, which podcasts do you subscribe to? I'm planning to start subscribing to a few of those suggested to me by Raf C. I just wanted to get as many ideas so I could subscribe to all the nice ones in one go. Share your games too! The ones for the iPod Touch. Yung free ah, I'm a cheapskate kse. Hehe! Thanks!

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Great find pipster for BG webisodes. Now if only i can have my MB fixed soon so I can download them. Does anyone have a recommended photography tip related podcasts? I'm subscribed to this RSS feed from a site for phitography tips but I'd like a similar video podcast in the line of 'Photoshop for Photographers' :)

#3 bacchus_3, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. p.pipster

Podcasts - I just love these things! They're free and really gives a lot of content to our iPhones and iPods. I subscribe to the following (all video):

AC360 - a daily 30-minute summary of CNNews
    Apple Keynotes - A requirement for all Mac Heads!
    AOTS - Attack of the Show
    Beautiful Places in HD
    Best of Current TV - Mostly short organic films
    Best of YouTube
    Diggnation HD - Video equivalent of digg.com
    EXPN Video - They release just once every month or so, though
    Frontline/World - News docu
    Washington Post HD - News docu
    The Interface - Ahh, one of my sources of indie music
    Macworld Video - This can get pretty boring sometimes
    MTV News Headlines - Just 30-sec clips
    NBC Nightly News - a daily 30-minute summary of NBC news
    Sub Pop Records - Another indie music source
    Tech Report - "Sick" tech reports
    TEDTalks HD - TEch, entertainment and design talks from the most fascinating people around the world
    Vanguard - News docu.. unlike any other
    New York Times Video - NYT video news docu

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Perhaps the mods can combine this with my podcast thread, but keep the title of P.Pister. That way it can be broadened. Or maybe we can call it "Free Stuff on iTunes."

I love Tuesdays. Every week there's always free stuff on the iTunes Store. Usually it appears at Midnight US Eastern Time, which at this time of year is 1pm here Tuesday.

I like the free BSG stuff. They're offering it because the last half of the last Season (4) will start being broadcast this Saturday in the US. I've been a fan of this show since the original 1970s version. When I found out there was a remake, that was the first set of TV Shows I downloaded on iTunes. I hadn't purchased Season 4 (1st half) until last week, since the Sci Fi channel was part of the whole NBC Universal pullout last year from iTunes.

But aside from free TV Shows, I always download the Song of the Week, the Discovery Downloads, and the Cancion de la Semana. heheh.

I think I've gotten every one available each week since I became an iTunes member in early 2005, except for times when I was on vacation and didn't have internet access.

6. p.pipster

I agree with the merge but not on the title as that would be limiting the thread to free stuff.

iTunes is the most used app in my home machine... I never imagined this app could give so much content.

Any fans of the Monty Python series/movies? Well, it's in iTunes!

7. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Usually, these webisodes are scenes you won't find in the regular season. If ever, you're just gonna see snippets or flashbacks of these webisodes integrated into the season. Watching them will help you understand the season story line or certain characters more. :)

Have you downloaded the BSG Recap series as well? It's free and it now has 2 episodes. The 1st episode is aptly titled "Catch the f*** up." It's hilarious! Season 1 to Season 4 in 13 minutes and 10 seconds! The 2nd episode is "Top 10 Things You Need to Know about BSG".

I'm always on the lookout for freebies. I remember when iTunes gave away the "The Alchemist" audiobook for free last year. I just chanced upon it. Another PhilMUGger stumbled upon this apparent glitch where the movie "Hitman" was being distributed for free.

Some of the free songs aren't that good (guess that's why they're free). This week's freebie is pretty good--J.S. Bach's Violin Concerto No. 1 in A Minor. :)

8. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I think these webisodes are available on the Sci-Fi channel website for viewing. I assume they aren't available for viewing outside North America.

Sneak previews are available for free download for my favorite TV Show LOST, Season 5 of which starts on Jan 21st. :)

Aw come on, FRAK isn't really an English word. More of a neologism care of the BSG writers. No need to censor. Heheh.

I got The Alchemist and The Hitman when they were available. I also got John Hodgman's (PC of the Get a Mac Commercials) Audiobook "The Areas of My Expertise..." when it was available more than a year ago. Absolutely hilarious.

Occasionally, iTunes releases a gem in the free stuff. Last year (or was it '07?) they gave away Colbie Callait's "Bubbly" and Brandi Carlisle's "The Story".

In my experience, iTunes gives away more & better TV Shows than it does songs. Although you get the occasional craptastic song or show. I mean "My Big Redneck Wedding" is also a free TV Download this week. Heheh.

9. fitxtreme

fitxtreme Member

I subscribe to three podcasts:

1. 1 Year Daily Audio Bible- For those who want to be inspired by the scriptures with some practical annotations by the reader, there's this DJ who reads a passage from the Old testament, New Testament, Proverbs-Psalms and the great thing is, it'll help you get through the whole bible in 1 year-365 days!
    you can subscribe also at: http://www.dailyaudiobible.com/

2. Enjoying Everyday life with Joyce Meyer- For those who need a daily practical application of the word in their lives and who just generally want to get inspired and enjoy life with Christ this is a must have. This is also shown on TCT cable tv and for podcasts there's the: 30 minute TV podcast, 15 minute radio podcast, and 1 minute something podcast. So you get to choose which one you'll listen to or watch depending ont he time that you can spend on it everyday. It has helped me a lot look at things in a different light. Joyce Meyer is a very effective and practical speaker. Good even for non-Christians! http://www.joycemeyer.org/

3. Podrunner- for the workout addict or the runner, this podast is for you! It features different 1 hour long mixes of some of the finest djs. There is music available for running (slow or fast), spinning class, aerobics class or weight lifting with different beats per minute (bpm) depending on your type of workout. At least you don't have to laboriously arrange tracks so you get the tempo that you need. All of them are progressivlely mixed already for you.

Best of all, all these podcasts are FREE! so subscribe na :)

#9 fitxtreme, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

OT: Slightly OT, but anyone who's a BSG fan, this last half season is all that's left. The show's ending at the end of this. They've shut down production and the show is auctioning off the sets & props. If you follow or love the show, download a PDF of the auction catalog here: http://www.battlestarprops.com/battlestar-galactica-auction-catalog-available-for-download/

The printed versions are also available for purchase. Heheh. Can't wait for this to start either. Between BSG & LOST, as well as the Obama Inaugural, it's gonna be a good January for me. :)

11. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

12. p.pipster

I never caught on to the BSG mania so the webisodes I guess would help me. If I end up not liking the show, it still worth it.. it's HD! LOL.

Thanks for the tip, Rafael. Downloading now.

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@p.pipster: The webisodes won't help at all. They may even confuse you. What you need to see is the "Special: Catch the Frak Up" episode. As much as you can squeeze 3.5 seasons & a 4 hour miniseries worth of information into 13 minutes, it provides a very short gist of the show.

If you want to get a flavor, I suggest you watch the Miniseries. You can get the basics of the story from there. And view the actual show from there if you like.

14. bacchus_3

So how many more episodes before BSG packs up Raf? I like the series but I haven't followed discussions about it. :)

15. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@bacchus_3: From the "List of Battlestar Galactica (reimagined series) Epidsodes" Article on Wikipedia, there are 10 episodes left in Season 4.

There's also a TV Movie coming out, but it isn't part of the current storyline. It's a flashback to the timeline of the Miniseries but from another point of view.

From what I've read, all production has shut down. In fact, there's an auction of Props, Sets, & other BSG materials set for this weekend. A downloadable PDF of the lots for auction is available and is a nice free souvenir, considering the auction has lots set to go for thousands of dollars.

16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

@B3.....not to preempt @Raff....I bought the entire DVD collection (Season 1, 2 and 3) last year plus the Season 3 and 4 gap-filler "Razor" (with Admiral Cain and Pegasus). Downloaded Season 4 from iTunes (nice HD format) with 11 episodes. What's left is the 2nd half of Season 4 (or Season 4.5) with the last 9 episodes (if I recall correctly) and BSG is history. Season 4.5, episode 1 aired earlier this month and episode 2 this 23rd of Jan.

I simply love BSG. It has depth that the original BSG series did not have and the characters are, well, more human (warts and all) instead of the formulaic, two-dimensional ones from the first BSG.

17. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Wait a minute! You have "Sometimes a Great Notion"??? (aka episode 4.13?? aka the first episode of S4.5??)

I've been staking out iTunes for the last 2 hours waiting for it to show up. According to my research, it finished showing on the West Coast & Hawaii less than an hour ago and waiting for it to upload on iTunes so I can catch it.

EDIT: I must say, pirates work FAST. While I'm waiting for a legal HD version of the new episode, a certain Pirate site/aggregator/tracker has it available in low res. And there are already 23,000 people downloading it.

#17 rafaelc378, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  18. bacchus_3

Ack! S4.5 has already started? Darn! Hope to get my MB fixed ASAP! Thanks Raf for the info tidbits. How I wish the iTunes (iPhone) store can browse and download TV shows too!

19. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Heheh! My stakeout has borne fruit.

I just purchased "Sometimes a Great Notion". It may take several refreshes of the page, or copy & pasting the iTunes URL into Safari, but I finally got it to appear and am downloading the new episode.

I wonder who's the 5th of the Final 5.

@bacchus/raypin: You think we should start a BSG thread? Heheheh. =)

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

we talk about iTunes finds all the time at the Apple TV thread, especially HD movies, shows and podcasts that are best viewed, well, with the TV and a hi-def display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.