iSync

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by van, Feb 15, 2010.

1. van

van Guest

Hello! Can anyone please shed some light into this-- confuses me how it happened.

My phone's a Sony Ericsson and one time last year, I was able to iSync it successfully to back up my Contacts. Since then, of course some entries on the Contacts on that phone got updated, added etc.

Yesterday, since I bought a new phone to replace my SE, I wanted to update the Contact copy on my Mac before I then copy it to the new Nokia phone. I synced the SE again to do this. It messed up the entries in both my Mac address book and SE phone Contacts.

Entries whose old numbers were replaced by new ones since that one time I synced last year ended up with a second phone detail.The new numbers didn't replace the old ones, it became a second mobile number. Ex: Juan's old number was 1234 which was synced successfully last year. Yesterday, numbers listed for Juan were 1234 AND 5678 (new). Meaning, right now, for names with 2 numbers, I don't know which is the old or the new one, argh! To make matters worse, these double numbers got transferred to my SE phone as well!

1. The way I understood how iSync works, the new number (latest time stamp) should've replaced the old one? Why did it get ADDED, when it should've replaced? I was exploring the preferences and other submenus, but none indicated anything regarding direction of info transfer (mac to phone or phone to mac). What ended up happening, Address Book info and Phone contacts info were merged and were given a complete copy each, 2-way. Eeee. Why??

2. Is there a setting I should fix before syncing in the future to make syncing one way? Phone to Mac only, not Mac to phone since I don't modify details on my Mac directly, but just use it as a back up.

Many thanks for any help!

2. nismo

nismo Member

Whats your Nokia phone model?

3. van

van Guest

E72... but haven't synced it yet, no data. Problematic contact lists are between Mac and the SE phone.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The same entry name on a new (previously not synced) device is treated as a different entry. So you will have duplicate entries. If you sync 3rd iSync virgin device then its entries too are separate so you may get triple entries.

The thing to do is sync all devices you wish to sync with a Mac. After syncing never erase a phone entirely else you lose the same data on all sync devices after syncing. Now edit the entries on your Mac. Delete duplicates and merge update data on certain entries. Do not simultaneously edit your phone. Just do the editing on the Mac. When your Mac Addressbook is clean , sync your phone and other devices with the Mac. They should now be as clean. It is a lot of work but afterwards syncing will be seamless. Oh you too can get multiple calendar entries.

5. van

van Guest

@Mad Mac, just to make sure I explained it right (I think my first post was a little confusing?)

Sync1 - SE to Mac (last year)

Since last year up to yesterday, names were added/removed, numbers were changed on the SE phone in the course of use

Sync2- same SE to Mac (yesterday) to update info on Mac

Result: names with new mobile numbers ended up with 2 mobile numbers (the old and new) for both SE and Mac contact lists

The new Nokia phone is I think irrelevant because it started out empty and just got the erroneous contacts when synced to the Mac post sync2. What I am doing to fix this is to erase all contacts on the new phone, correcting the Mac data and then will sync them both (which is the same as you suggested). This is correct, yes? So that's not a prob... What I'm worried about is when I re-sync the new phone in a couple of months to update, baka I might encounter the same problem as above.

I am just wondering why Sync1 and sync2, involving the very same SE phone and Mac, didn't overwrite based on latest data timestamp but merged (added) info?

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Oh no. When you erased your previously synced phone, iSync will take that as your latest desired change. You may need to remove your device from the iSync menu. Then add it. But I am not sure this will work. I never tried it. I also do not know what reset device does. Just to be safe backup your addressbook.

Your Mac probably thought your SE was a new phone. Perhaps you had updates. Or sim change.

#6 Mad Mac, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. van

van Guest

Sync1 and Sync2 used the very same SE phone (same sim, same everything, just some names were updated, numbers changed etc), just months apart. I don't even know how to upgrade the phone's programs, lol. I never erased the phonebook of SE nor Mac.

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I am more concerned with your Nokia. I am assuming that is your new phone. You said you synced that and it got the duplicate entries of the mac. Now you decided to erase the nokia and start clean. This action is dangerous. If you sync the Nokia now using default iSync settings your Mac data will be erased too. The Mac will assume you made changes on the Nokia. iSync will not know your intentions and will simply reflect the latest changes on your Mac and devices. It will replicate those changes across all syncing device. So if you erase the Nokia. Sync and it erases mac. Sync SE and its data will be erased. Latest action takes precedence.

9. van

van Guest

Ohhhhhh... a blank phone book is considered updated... yikes, i already erased the phone book in the Nokia, but haven't synced yet (whew!)

Will this work: I'll export the corrected Mac contacts. Save it somewhere. Then erase all entries in the Mac address book. Then import the earlier exported copy. Then sync with the Nokia.

What do you think?

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I don't know if the exported and imported entries will have a current time stamp. I'd just backup Addressbook and remove Nokia phone as a syncing device. Then add as a new device. This way it should merge info upon first syncing. In theory anyway. So backup what you can before proceeding.

Be careful with the SE. Plan your actions and its sequence and implications before syncing.

11. van

van Guest

Ok, will try that and will post the results.

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You can create a new user account and log into that. Then you can sync your SE so you have a backup. Logout then do your experiment on the primary user account.

13. van

van Guest

It worked, though I backed up the Mac address book, just in case... I removed the Nokia then added it again to the device list.
    All Mac contacts copied to the blank Nokia phone book. Sheesh. This merge vs one way-sync is so traumatizing, I think I should just use OVI suite instead...

14. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Nah, it's juts our lack of understanding. I was very confused too when I first synced my iPod Touch and Nokia N78 with my Mac. My problem then was I was editing on all 3 machines. So imagine the nightmare of multiple and missing entries. But once I understood what syncing meant it was easier. The rule is sync all devices. Then choose the Mac or any device as your master editing device. Then sync all. From then on it is seamless. Now I can edit on any device and the changed reflect on the other device just like syncing should.

15. van

van Guest

I don't understand why what happened between the SE and Mac happened. It was simply 2 sync sessions a few months apart with nothing changed except added info in the SE phone (I didn't edit the Mac address book at all) which I wanted to transfer/update to my Mac, not merge old and new numbers.

Right now, the Nokia's contact list is good, but how can I prevent a repeat of the above with this phone when I can't figure out what caused it...

Is it possible to sync it with both progs-- Ovi and iSync?

Thanks a lot for helping!

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I don't know. All I can think of is somehow iSync thought it was a new phone.

17. van

van Guest

Thanks a lot, Mad Mac!

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

What's your Nokia?

19. SirCute

SirCute New Member

Hi, I copied/paste iSync from another Snow Leopard to my Lion, but it's saying that it need 3.0.1 version and up. I checked the iSync on the Snow Leopard and it says that it's 3.0.1. Any ideas what to do? Thanks in advance.=)

20. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

MIne says Nokia E72 is not compatible with iSync. Something's wrong with it I guess. Any help?

[​IMG]