Is this the end of Apple?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by amieldh, Jan 6, 2019.

?

Is this the end of Apple?

1. Yes

11.4%
  2. No

88.6%
  1. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Apple CEO Tim Cook says new services coming this year, talks iPhone XR 'flop,' more

appleinsider.com

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

To be fair the XR is an excellent phone. I bought one due to its great battery life. Its was just too expensive for the budget phone market to bear. They really should have refreshed the SE for that.

Apple is still quite profitable and sitting on tons of cash so hardly doomed. However, as a Mac fan, this last few years have not been good for my favorite computer platform. Apple have been slow to update the Mac, the latest MacBook Pros' suffered from lots of issues (flex gate, butterfly keyboard, throttling issues, etc) and basically it feels that Apple has neglegted the Mac for the iPhone.

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

92593707-4BB6-4AA0-A0A6-F6D326617D06.jpeg
    I got it from Cracked.

4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Everyone loves "the end" and "the killers" :)

Honestly, I still don't understand why Google and Facebook gets a lot of negative publicity when they try to enter China...

Microsoft is there... And Apple is doing everything for the Chinese market (dual SIM) and to comply with the Chinese Government's request/requirements...

5. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

Part of what makes Apple a strong brand is due to the devotion of its users. Ever since it began it rode on the notion that being and thinking different can usher in profound change.

It mostly worked.

People loved the quirky out-of-the-box (literally) design of the Apple 1. They were also enamored by the revolutionary graphical interface and the introduction of the mouse. More love came when the iPod was introduced and stylish iMacs were all the rage and I'm sure i don't need to tell you about the love generated by the first iPhone.

Yes. Apple built its brand around breaking barriers and in what I would term "re-innovation." Giving users a special take on something they did not necessarily invent. People are attracted to mavericks who know how to "wow" the customer. Once the user base was locked in, Apple simply focused on quality of design and function.

All this history with Apple and its consumers makes it unique in brand loyalty. So if you ask me if Apple is dead, then you are asking the wrong question... Apple will continue as long as devoted fans (like PhilMUGgers) have unwavering faith in them. Stumbles will inevitably happen, but this is just Apple "re-innovating" itself.

wena73, bacchus_3 and raypin like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...because the alternative SUCKS!

:ROFLMAO:

gadgetmonger and leninmac like this.
  7. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I love Macs and iPads. Just wish they could price these latest devices closer to the means of poor folk like me.

As it stands, I think Apple has become the Patek Philippe of tech. Their market share may be dwindling, but then those who cannot afford them are not their target market anyway. So "let them eat cake," says Tim Cook.

Just like Patek or Audemars Piguet, perhaps their plan is to produce less units, but still rake in the same number of billions every year.

Why is a hunk of stainless steel Nautilus 5711 worth P2M to P2.5M in the grey market? Because that's what people are willing to pay.

I think descendants of the high-end iPhone XS will reach US$3,000 to US$4,000, and there will still be people who buy them, because for them it is worth it.

In any case, this is hardly the end, but the end of the beginning for Apple, as it embarks on becoming the world's first tech luxury brand.

#67 Godfather, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    pelican, Shadowfox and porkypork like this.
  8. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

I don’t think it’s the end of Apple. Every tech company has its ups and downs. For work, I’d still choose the macO/iOS ecosystem and only run Windows for gaming. But I felt they should have not killed the iPhone SE in favor of the newer models but left it as it is in their entry level line (like the MacBook Air) to cater to a segment of consumers who wanna try the brand but couldn’t because of the high price of entry and also for emerging economy countries.

It may not mean much but as they say, “Hindi mabubuo ang isang milyon kung wala ang isang piso.”

Just my two cents.

Godfather and raypin like this.
  9. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Remember Apple was great till Steve Jobs left, then when he came back Apple became a hit again. It always been a question and still being asked: "can Apple stay on top without Jobs?".

Godfather likes this.
  10. makinao

makinao Active Member

Haven't they always been perceived that way?

gaol and Godfather like this.
  11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Beginning of the end? Maybe? But Apple is sure changing from the Apple we've grown and loved and that's alienating most of the core user base.

IMO, if that's what it takes for them to stay on top, then by all means, alienate (some of ) us. I'd rather see an Apple-led tech landscape than any other tech giants right now esp on privacy stance.

Ultimately, it's the end of Steve's Apple / Our Apple.

12. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Apple cannot stay in the 90s. The landscape is rapidly changing. I am sure some of the products and services that Apple was working on needed to be modified or re-directed to address the changing market, not to forget the competitors.

Apple was an underdog during the Mac era, now they're huge. Whatever worked during the old times definitely don't work today.

Mind you, the services that Apple is rumored to release all have Jobs' influence. Steve said he cracked TV, and now we are looking at a new streaming service from them. The push for health, IMHO, stemmed from Jobs, when he was diagnosed with cancer (though the Apple Watch was definitely a Tim-Jony thing). Privacy is embedded in their DNA, again, from Jobs.

BTW, when did Apple sell top of the line products cheaply? Apple has always been a premium brand.

Mykolant and raypin like this.
  13. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

14. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Wow at Huawei! But we have to consider that Apple only sells flagship phones at a flagship price. They may still be earning a lot more compared to Samsung and Huawei.

15. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

For how long people will buy those premium products?

The last year proved one thing for Apple:

Walang forever...

If their new iPhone will still be priced at over $1k with copied features from Android phones, expect more decline in sales.

Salaryman Ryan and Godfather like this.
  16. ice

I'm honestly interested in seeing 2019 year end reports...

Manufacturers are now focusing on India since China is already saturated, and they are very loyal to their local brands.

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple has lots of money in the bank sales decline or not. In my opinion, the danger is not if Apple will continue to exist as a business but rather will the Apple the company most of us fell in love, the company who pride themselves
    From what I gather Indians put value and specs over
    I agree the market will decide. I personally don't mind 1k iPhones but there has to have killer features not found in the competitors to justify the premium. The thing is a lot of flagship androids have amazing tech going for them so its a hard sell for Apple especially for those who look for value in their tech like the Indian market. I still love my iPhone and invested too much in apps to leave but if I'm going to start all over again I might take a hard look at the current Android offerings.

kyubi likes this.
  18. matanglawin

matanglawin Member

The World ended in 2011.
    250888_1909851220846_4219496_n.jpg

Oh wait. You meant Apple. Steve Jobs died in 2011. Which is sorta the end of the World for most Apple users. Not to mention the fact that 2011 was the year of Radeongate, and it seemed it was downhill from there when it comes to Apple's preoduct reliability which seems inversely proportional to their affordability.

But, I suppose, there will always be loyal Apple users. The Mac, despite its recent pitfals, still remain very much reliable, at least, in my case, more reliable compared to Windows and non-Mac PCs or laptops. I'd still get a Mac. I'd save money for one, if not, get a reliable second-hand, like what I did when my 15" MBP 2011 failed.

Did I say failed? Why yes. I'm also a victim of that damned Radeongate, with my laptop seemingly overheating in an AC room, and suddenly just died. I was able to do a few software hacks to revive it until I found one that actually works, and I was able to use it for a time after that.

But, being that it was already on its 5th year when it broke down, I was already due for an upgrade anyway, and I got one last december. Well, it's not so much an upgrade, but, I knew the previous owner didn't use the 15" so much that it was rather pristine when I got it.

Which is something to say about Macs and Mac Users. We tend to be very caring of it. Even with issues, a Mac can be of service long after its projected time of service. I've had 5-year second hand macs which I was able to use for an additional 5 years or so, till they got so old I couldn't use new software on them. Those can still work as browsers.

Which is what I relegated my 2011 MBP into. It's a web-browser and movieplayer. I gave up trying to recover its Mac OS usability, and decided to just install Ubuntu on it.

And that's what I'm using right now to post this comment. Oh, my iPhone 5S is now on its 5th year. It's getting a tad slow sometimes, and it's on its 3rd battery, but, I wouldn't really need a new one any time soon.

Maybe this December, I'll get a shiny, refurbished Red iPhone 8.

For the meantime, is this the end of Apple? I honestly don't know. I could say that, I don't care, but, that won't really be honest. I'd still get an Apple product, just because.

#78 matanglawin, May 22, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2019 at 11:53 PM
    Theus and raypin like this.
  19. ice