Is this the end of Apple?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by amieldh, Jan 6, 2019.

?

Is this the end of Apple?

1. Yes

12.1%
  2. No

87.9%
  1. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm.....idiotic..ignorant..critics. They are all coming out of the woodwork. Because of a rare revenue miss......for one quarter......one quarter is 3 months....3 months is 90 days.

9E826313-831B-4608-A65A-EDA5F4A68A2A.png

The apple pie is falling....the apple pie is falling.....

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

suavecito and jayparalejas like this.
  3. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

EXACTLY! Hahaha

Google continues to innovate on the Pixel line... how many Pixels sold to date?

raypin likes this.
  5. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Nice! Talk about privacy invasion. :)

6. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

And it is the second best quarter to date, AFAIK!

raypin likes this.
  7. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

If Apple's quarterly earning after just realeasing the new iPhones is lower than the previous year, it will not be a surprise it will continue that way till the release of the new iPhones.

I think Apple needs a major comeback and have Jonathan Ive involved in the design of the new iPhones again.

8. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Agree... "Apple is the next Nokia" and "End of Apple" agad agad? :rolleyes:

raypin likes this.
  9. raypin

Mm.... Nokia is still in business. By revenue, it is ranked 451 worldwide. Doing quite well with providing 5G network equipment. Still losing money but it added more employees, a sign of a growing business.

There are a few crucial differences between the Apple story (iPhone story) and the Nokia story. Foremost of which is Nokia was too slow in challenging the meteoric rise of the iPhone. It stubbornly stuck with its Symbian operating system running dozens of feature phones, none of which could challenge the iPhone. Added pressure came from Google when it copied the iPhone and launched its open standards Android OS. When it finally dawned on Nokia that it was badly losing the smartphone war, it made another strategic blunder by adopting the Windows phone OS (Nokia needed Microsoft’s money to keep it afloat). Remember Elop’s burning platform memo? I still remember that. It did not work because the OS lacked the two crucial fuel: developer support and the cool factor. As a result, Nokia withered in the vine.

For Apple’s iPhone business to fail in the next decade or so, there has got to be a true disruptor coming from within the Android space. A key piece of technology? A true gamechanger? The next evolution or revolution in the smartphone business? Apple needs to miss the boat on all of those in order for the iPhone to fail, and with its demise, end Apple.

It is simple logic: what will it take for Apple’s customers to abandon Apple, specifically, the iPhone?

It takes a leader to end a leader (one of history’s enduring lessons). Politics? Business? The field does not matter.

#49 raypin, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    SE20 and Jagd like this.
  10. oaba09

oaba09 Member

Price....

I personally know a lot of "switchers" because of their iphone pricing for the past couple of years.

People I know who used to own iphones are suddenly showing up with huaweis...

I recently bought an ipad so I obviously still like apple's eco-system but if they continue increasing the price of iphones, they will continue to alienate a lot of loyal consumers......every consumer has a red line when it comes to pricing....

11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Apple is not going to end anytime soon, not in our lifetime and probably not even in your grand children's lifetime! hahaha
    Apple is far from being a perfect company. Yes, I agree that Apple made some mistakes and will continue to make one. This kind of challenges hopefully will help Apple make better decisions. And besides that revised revenue forecast of $80+ billion, if I'm correct is more than the combined revenue of Microsoft, Amazon and Google. And do you know how much cash Apple have? It's more than $280 BILLION, that is more than the GDP of most countries.
    This kind of news just gets overblown because of how well Apple did this past decade.

raypin likes this.
  12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Exactly!

If the media would proclaim the demise of an empire, they should at least identify the next emperor and the key trend upon which the next emperor rides. Nokia's demise and Apple's ascendancy marked the decline of the phone as the dominant means of communication, and the rise of, not a new phone, but an "Internet communications device."

Go back to Steve Jobs's keynote when he launched the iPhone. His first salvo: "a widescreen iPod with touch controls" (enthusiastic applause); then, "a revolutionary new mobile phone" (wild applause); finally, his punchline, "a new Internet communications device" (golf applause) - the audience didn't get the impact of that yet.

So, what is this next communications tech that would replace smartphone and therefore cause Apple to fall from its position at the top of the personal communications space? Not: who has a better or cheaper smartphone.

raypin likes this.
  13. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

In my opinion the biggest challenge of Apple now is not because they are releasing bad products or they are no longer innovating, it’s pricing! Most people simply can’t afford Apple products but a typical consumer is still wanting to own an Apple device. Come on let’s not kid ourselves how many times have you gotten a compliment when people see you having that new iPhone, iPad, Macbook, and all.

14. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

yes pricing is apple's problem. not their products. their products continue to be in demand, just not affordable anymore, so people goes for the 2nd best that is within reach of their budgets.
    i admit that i am also about to switch to another brand if this year's iphone will again increase its price.

#54 potpot2, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    macjobber, trigo and Aargh like this.
  15. raypin

Mm..not really. Within my family, extended family, small circle of friends and network of business associates, not one uses Huawei. It is a mix of Samsungs (most), Sony and iPhones.

Point is I am not interested in anecdotal evidence. I am interested in the macro picture, events, irreversible trends and earth-shaking, industry-moving factors - because ithose are what kills whole companies or industries.

bacchus_3 likes this.
  16. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Just to make this clear -- Apple was and still is rarely into the low-end pricing. If anything, the low end models, whilst modestly popular, did not earn them their keep. As examples, the iPod shuffle and the iPhone 5c. They are targeting that small percentage of users who value Apple products more than other brands. AFAIK, they don't want to own the market because of "cheap" models.

Also, when the iPhone X was announced, people were complaining. WE did complain. However, we still bought one. (us suckers! haha) Anyway, the entire industry shifted their pricing to near iPhone X levels (did their loyal users complain, too? Sure did not hear a Samsung nut complain) hoping to get a share of that premium segment of the market. Did Apple price themselves out? At least last year they did not.

This year, the XS has the same price point as the X, but as an "S" release, Apple was not expecting X owners to upgrade. However, the introduction of the XR muddied the choices, not to mention the timing of its release. It was easier and simpler when there were only two models to choose from. ;)

This quarter - it was an issue with China. WeChat and Trump did not help Apple there. Apple just revised their iPhone sales numbers, everything else remains the same. BTW, check out Samsung's numbers this quarter, too. Will it go away? I hope so, but doubt it.

As for the Apple market cap - well, you guys know how analysts play the stock market. :)

raypin likes this.
  17. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Apple did not increase the iPhone XS prices this year, compared to the iPhone X last year, right?

18. ginomatic

ginomatic Member

If and when Samsung or Huawei experiences the same problem, I guess the fanfare will not be this massive because nobody really cares.

SE20 likes this.
  19. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

And those aren't American companies, and therefore not as interesting to American media, for them to bark about.

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Samsung does a lot of things, they will survive even without the Galaxy.

Huawei... China will not allow them to fail.