Is this the end of Apple?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by amieldh, Jan 6, 2019.

?

Is this the end of Apple?

1. Yes

14.3%
  2. No

85.7%
  1. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

2. lardcas

lardcas Member

Not yet but their stock market price trend is already downtrend for several months already. I hope Tim Cook resign and all apple product items price reduced at least 10% to salvage their premium symbol status.

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

The prices of apple products don’t seem to justify themselves anymore in my opinion. Other brands have stepped up their game in terms of design and features. After my recent purchase of a USB-C-only MBP and getting more annoyances, I’ve thought of having this as my last mac. When I lose the mac, I also lose the iPad. The iPhone and AppleTV were replaced much earlier with equivalent Android variants that work out quite well for me and my household. And the price is not something I feel bad about.

For me, if Apple will be doomed soon, its because they screwed me of my hard earned money with less and less of what I used to love about their products and continued to do so thinking they can get away with it or its my loss if I don’t get their latest and claimed greatest. Even if they don’t get doomed as a company soon, they’ve definitely lost me, and a couple of family members and peers who share the same sentiment, as customers.

The only thing I like about Apple now is Mac OS. But considering its relevance to my needs, I don’t think Windows 10 to be that bad. Besides, I have other ways of running both ala bootcamp without spending on costly apple hardware. :p

#3 makintosh, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    prof_er likes this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..

https://theweek.com/articles/671371/sad-end-apple-era

http://info.qless.com/blog/7-reasons-end-of-apple

https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-apocalypse-end-of-apple-as-we-know-it/

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/29/the-end-of-the-apple-dynasty/

etc.

etc.

etc.

Point is doomsayers about Apple have come and gone over the decades. Where are they now?

You need to look beyond your nose and understand the long history of Apple to know that Apple has always proven its critics wrong. Apple, like any other company, have been through cycles of up and down. It was, at one point, in near-death when Microsoft's Bill Gates stepped in with a USD 150 M loan to Steve Jobs.

My prediction? It will be around in the next 20 years or so.

So my vote in this poll is.....

lsalapare, bacchus_3, rbenzon and 3 others like this.
  5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

It's just a market trend. If Apple was run by incompetent idiots, then it's safe to say it's going down. Frankly, those doomsayers are getting old and tiring to read. It feels like clickbait news. Companies experience dip in sales once in a while. Some writers just tend to over do it with their titles. When Apple hit the trillion mark, it was good news. But when it dips, it's the end the world for Apple.

raypin likes this.
  6. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Make Apple great again!
    That's all I wish for with their future products and pricing.

Good luck! :LOL:

7. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

The stock market price trend is dictated by speculations fueled by ANALysts, IMHO. Until they hear the real numbers from the earnings call, one can only speculate. Apple is also buying back a lot of the stocks, so a low stock price is good for them in the short term.

Apple's guidance remains except for the iPhone sales, predominantly affected by China and emerging markets (where Chinese brands are popular because of weak IP protection from countries, example Philippines, and not to forget the tariff wars caused by Trump).

8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

So, Apple revenues would hit ONLY $83 Billion, instead of the forecast $89 Billion to $93 Billion. Yeah, that sounds like the end of Apple all right. o_O

You know what should end? Clickbait journalism.

9. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

IMO, Apple isn't anymore innovating to come up with 'wow' products like before. Every year it is an iteration of the same products and they are playing catch up with Android features... except for AW, their new products are a flop... like home pod... They are also pricing their products too high considering everyone's premium products are 1/2 or 1/3 of Apple's. on their Macbook line up, everything is near or more than 1k usd price range without anymore differences...

Apple will still be there but investors are fleeing as the effect of reduced earnings may take its toll.

Apple's buy back started more than a year ago and they bought when prices are high thus they are holding onto expensive shares... the same with Warren Buffet, although his ave maybe near 120-140 level... (from the news...)

10. Mon Macutay

Mon Macutay New Member

It was downhill ever since Steve Jobs died, I guess.

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple is just Plateauing...

We (Philmug members) will always upgrade sooner or later. But businesses want to see growth. Something that's almost impossible for Apple as they do not have a device for "emerging/developing" countries.

Will Apple die? NO... They're the only manufacturer that has iOS and MacOS... We basically don't have an alternative.

As for their China problem... It's actually a WeChat problem.

iMessage and Facetime makes the iPhone special... Chinese don't need both.

Apple needs something to make people crazy other than iPhones... Or just build something around the iPhone (like the Airpods and the Watch)

Can you just imagine if Apple sold limited edition ($200) powerbanks for the holidays? :)

12. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Question - how many times did Apple innovate in your opinion? If you don't consider the underlying silicon (first 7nm processors for consumers) running the latest iPhones and iPads, not to forget the ARM chips embedded within the Intel-powered Macs as innovation, then I'd agree with you that they are no longer innovating.

13. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Hahah true! Apple became the 1st trillion dollar tech company after he died... downhill indeed. ;)

14. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. Does it translate to new features of Apple devices?

15. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I think they have plateaued early on... at least with iPhone numbers. Can't match the surge when the iPhone 6 launched.

This is true!

The iPhone design is of a high premium for Chinese users (but if I am right, I think iPhone still has the marketshare of premium phones in China), but with Huawei, Xiaomi and Oppo having iPhone X looking devices, Chinese users chose them and install WeChat.

Like the Tesla power banks? ;)

16. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

What do you think? Check what you can do with A12-enabled iPhones vs last year's and you'll get your answer.

17. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

They did thus they were being cloned or copied by others.

Features and Benefits sells products..

What significant change were there in the recent iteration of macbook/macbook pro/iphone or ipad that are ahead of others?

18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple won’t end despite a lot of Oranges trying to take the route to displace it...

Like it or not it’s demise is as inevitable as a meteor hitting the White House on any given day...

19. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Every now and then, some "expert" lays out a prediction like this. They know it gets a lot of clicks and spurs discussion on TV, blogs and message boards like this. An opportunity presented itself which was a China market issue impacting the iPhone, write it up as some sort of writing-on-the-wall Apple-is-no-longer-innovating-when-Steve-Jobs-died phenomenon. Of course, we'd all be talking about it. As far as that "expert" is concerned, he got his clicks.

For Apple, it's a wake up call for sure. Not so much because the internets been ablaze about this but because they predicted wrong about China. By the way, everyone else (Google, Tesla, MS, Amazon, Uber) are also having a hard time. Come to think of it, Apple is getting their butts kicked because they got their foot in the door and not the other. Not yet, anyway. Every other US tech giant hasn't been able to get more than a sniff of the China market. Uber waged a costly war only to give up embarrassingly by buying out, Google is desperate with its espionage-like tactics, Tesla has yet to build their factories there, Amazon practically non-existent and MS' shift to the cloud looks to be the end of MS in China with that country's internet being policed by their government.

Apple needs to re-assess their strategy which is currently focused on wowing people with physical products in their physical stores (which worked everywhere) into penetrating the WeChats of the middle kingdom through different means. Hey... they have iMessage, Facetime, Apple Pay, Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc... if they can pack it all in into a great package (easy for them to do) and accessible in China (hard to do), boom.

We, the people, need to re-think how we consume news like these. Gone are the days where we read the papers and take it as truth. We have to be curators of facts and make our own sound judgements ourselves. That goes for all news, tech or otherwise.

As far as *I* am concerned, this is nothing. Apple has had a long history of quashing bad quarters. And they're not a quarter-by-quarter company, they build for the long haul. Pretty sure people inside are still diligently building the future like they always do, or now a little more inspired to actually build it.

Those in the market for stocks, go buy some. ;) Apple dips are rare these days.

greta87, pennylane, isaak and 3 others like this.
  20. Pupkin

Pupkin Active Member

Well we can't blame Samsung and Huawei employee's and representatives for promoting their Brands using iPhones.