Is it worth upgrading an old Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nash2589, Jul 25, 2018.

1. nash2589

nash2589 Member

Hi Guys,

I have a mid-2010 17" Macbook Pro and it has been my daily driver for my job for more than 4 years already (bought it 2nd hand in 2014). It still functions as usual and I do not experience any hiccup (except the caps lock stopped working suddenly) but I'm torn between selling it to get a smaller and more portable one or just upgrade it (to 8gb ram + ssd)

How does your old macbooks hold up to this day?

2. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

If your Mac is still upgradable, i'd reco you to keep on upgrading it.
    My 2011 mbp runs on 16GB Ram/ 240SSD... Placed an order last week for a 1TB SSD to do a clean install for HighSierra.

3. makinao

makinao Active Member

My mid-2012 MBP 15" with SSD and maxed out RAM is doing just fine. In normal day-to-day use it loses out to a new one in battery life though. My 3 year old battery can get up to 3 hours, and a new one would get 5. That's way below that of a new one. But if that isn't so important to you, then just max out your MBP and save a ton of money.

#3 makinao, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

From your post you do not actually need a new macbook or even any other new laptop. But do you want one? Because that will be a different story. Hehehe

Qin Zhi likes this.
  5. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

I have the mid-2010 15" i7 MBP. I have been using it for almost 8 years now and I still feel that it meets my daily needs. Although i upgraded it with an SSD, 8GB of RAM, I replaced the CD drive with a HDD drive, and replaced the battery with a 3rd party battery (anker) - everything i did by myself with the help of google.

Only sad thing about it is that it's not supported anymore with the new Mac OS Mojave that's going to be released soon.

The problem with the newer MBPs is that it has some issues based on what I've read online, the price tag doesn't justify the specs, and its hardware is not upgradeable. If you really do want an upgrade I've read that the 2015 MBPs are the best MBPs to get right now if you don't care for the Touch Bar.

For the mean time i'll stick with my 2010 MBP and see how many more years it'll last before it dies.

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here. My 2011 17 inch Macbook Pro still going on strong with 16gb ram and a DIY Fusion drive made up of a 512gb ssd combined with a 2tb regular hard disk (Took out the Super Drive).

Qin Zhi likes this.
  7. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

My wife's 2012 13in MBP, now my son's for his schoolwork and his tinkering with Garageband, is still going strong. Upgrades include bumping up the RAM to 8GB, replacing the drive with 500GB SSD, and replacing the battery with a 3rd-party replacement.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  8. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

For me, if you use your machine for professional purposes (ie. work, freelance, etc) and you use it as a tool for income, it is always worth it to upgrade at least in every three years. Softwares tend to become more cpu/gpu intensive in every iteration, and it is just right if we keep up with it.

Unless, yeah, you're just using it for web browsing, movies, document processing.. Should be good to upgrade at around 5 years. :)

9. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

I'm also using a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. Upgraded its RAM and switched to SSD. It's much faster now.

10. balibago

balibago Member

I have a mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro and a 2010 11" Macbook Air, both are still being used every day, and are still going strong. The 2009 MBP got upgraded to an 8GB memory and I replaced the battery maybe 4 years ago. The 2010 MBA's battery got replaced maybe 2 years ago.

athos11 likes this.
  11. rexfuge

rexfuge Member

Where did you have your MBA upgraded? DIY?

I may also need to replace my battey.

TIA.

#11 rexfuge, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  12. vtf

vtf Active Member

recently upgraded my late 2011 mbp to a 480 gig ssd and 16 Gig ram. had the original hard drive installed as time machine on what used to be the optical drive. booting faster than a 2016 mbp, its perhaps the best 23,500 i’ve spent

Qin Zhi likes this.
  13. lesterjune

lesterjune Member

- New RAM was inserted by the delivery guy. Got it from a TipicPC seller. I forgot his name, but he's well recommended here in PhilMUG.
    - As for SSD, DIY only, following some YouTube videos online.
    - As for battery, ordered it online from macsales.com. Replaced the old battery with the new one myself.

rexfuge likes this.
  14. nash2589

nash2589 Member

Thanks for the responses. I ended up selling it because the track pad and caps lock started acting up. Also, as someone who works online, the thing was so damn heavy that it is always a struggle to carry or to even find a bag whenever I travel.
    Still sold it for a decent price though.

Then, I bought a Macbook Air 13" 2015 (Fresh! only 60 battery cycles)

I love it's portability,battery life and the fact that it doesn't have HDD makes me more confident moving it around.

One thing I loathe is the screen resolution..Coming from a Macbook Pro and having used to IPS displays, I just can't bear with it. All in all, that's the only thing I hate about it. Maybe I'll soon get used to it or maybe not. Haha

Aargh likes this.
  15. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Time to change your signature then. LOL!!! :ROFLMAO: