Is it advisable to buy an MBA now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Haloghen, Jun 21, 2016.

1. mojacko

mojacko Member

Thanks for your inputs guys! :) I might buy MBA from BTB soon (with the BPI promo).

2. xkg

xkg Member

My 2010 11 inch MBA just died after many years of hard work. Have been looking at the 12 inch Macbook and even the Pro, but both seem to be too heavy for me. My main goal is portability. I still like the MBA and my only concern is that it will be phased out. Gotta say I was spoiled by having a laptop last that long.

3. mafioso

mafioso Well-Known Member

The 12" macbook is lighter than the 11" MBA though so I'm not sure why do you find the Macbook heavy.

4. xkg

xkg Member

Well I haven't really handled the new 12 inch macbook irl. I was basing it off my previous experience of the 12 inch Powerbook--so dated, I know. Will check out the macbook, although Mac Rumors gives me pause because MB might be getting a refresh around April.

5. Philmuger

Philmuger Member

I think the air is a better choice vs the 12 inch macbook. For me, it's either pro or air, the single port macbook doesn't really work for me, I find it to be too limiting.

6. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Would you still recommend buying a Macbook Air now? A brand new one or second hand? My sister is asking for a laptop that she can bring and use while she's in school. She's studying law by the way. Thank you very much in advance!

7. makinao

makinao Active Member

Yes. It's the cheapest MacBook now, with a extra 256 SD card it will still be cheaper than the low-end MacBook. Battery life is great. It has legacy ports so no problems with existing peripherals. Accessories are still plentiful. It may not have the fastest processor or brightest screen, but it will more than do for heavy writing.

8. iAmMichael05

Should I go for the brand new one or second hand? Thank you again!

9. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

It will ultimately depend on your budget. I'm sure you'll make your sister much happier if you buy her a brand new one.

It's still best to go for brand new. However, if due to budgetary constraints you have to buy second-hand, it's best if you can find one that is either:
    • less than a year old, so you can still sign it up for AppleCare and get an extra 2 years of warranty coverage; or
    • one that's already over a year old but nevertheless still has over a year left in its AppleCare coverage.
    Finally, while I strongly encourage you to buy brand new, just in case you're really dead-set in buying second-hand, you might want to read this good article, which gives you valuable tips on how to test and examine a second-hand MacBook that you plan to buy: Buying a Used MacBook? Essential Tips to Consider.

Btw, if it's for use mainly for her law studies (as well as when she begins her law practice), I can confirm that a MacBook Air is adequate for her needs. Get one with at least 256GB SSD (and not 128GB, as the latter is really too small even for law studies and law practice).

#29 Qin Zhi, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. iAmMichael05

This is so insightful! Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.

11. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi incase your looking for an affordable Brandnew Macbook air. We just bought a MBA 11 2015 Base model for 34,990 @ Beyond the box. they are now selling it again :). Manufacture date of the unit is Feb 2018 (not old stocks)

For basic task it should still last MS Office work load / Chrome .

greta87 likes this.
  12. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

13. MFD888

MFD888 Member

Apple stopped making the MBA 11 incher in 2016. As per the article above.

14. ignudi

ignudi Member

MBA 11-inch sir? I thought apple phased out the 11-inch variant? from what beyond the box branch did you get it, and when? and do still have stocks?

15. opd

opd Member

I just bought the 13-inch MBA 128 GB a couple months ago. I had just gotten a Mac Mini 2014 manufactured recently. These were to replace a 2010 MacBook Pro upgraded to 8 GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive.

I figured that for the past 8 years I had done all my work on the old laptop so the MBA and Mini should do just right. Am quite a happy camper, and I consider myself a "pro" user. They do feel much faster, and the bonus of the MBA is I leave a 128 GB SDXC card inside as a Time Machine backup. It is not a problem to get more SD cards to store more files and carry with me as needed.

For someone studying law, I think this model is good enough if used this way. I looked at the new Macbook and one port wouldn't do. The new Macbook Pros were overkill naman, since I was used to working on a 2010 computer anyway.

When I am at home, I often connect to the 1 TB drive of the Mac Mini (connected to a 2TB Western Digital drive as its Time Machine backup) if I need the latest files. And since the MBA was so cheap and I saved further by not getting the 256 GB model (could not justify spending another 10,000 pesos for only 128 GB more RAM), anytime it is needed I can spring for a portable 4 TB drive from Seagate.

MFD888 likes this.
  16. Don Pao

YES 11inch.

Check out beyond the box FB Page. :) cash promo 34995 card promo 12-24months 38700 pesos. and checked manufacture date its Feb 2018 :)

Tried calling powermac / switch they have stocks last sat-sun. 43k @ powermac free MS Office. 39,999 @ switch hope this helps.

17. Don Pao

Hi we just bought 1 and yes i believe they stopped selling it. but for some reasons it's back :) out of the box OS is high sierra

MFD888 likes this.
  18. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

there's a rumor a cheaper one is coming soon so better to wait and see.. might be cheaper with updated processor as apple shifts the air as its entry level laptop

GelOBrrz and MFD888 like this.
  19. Don Pao

Correct! if it's around 34-38k Pesos sounds good to me.

20. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I can support this claim. My girlfriend bought an 11incher for php35,000 from BTB this weekend, and I was pretty dumbfounded that it ran High Sierra out of the box. I wonder why Apple manufactured this again. Maybe clearing parts inventory? There's a rumor that there'll be a $799 13inch Macbook Air on the way.

Still a great Mac for portability purposes though. She's very happy as she only needs MS excel and word. (y)

#40 warmgreentea, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018