Is it advisable to buy an MBA now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Haloghen, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

Hello fellow philmug members!

My windows laptop recently died on me. I have a desktop computer but I needed a laptop for study purposes since its more portable.

I have always been curious of mac computers and finally decided to take the plunge of buying one. The problem is, I've read that macbook air is due for refresh and that I should wait for the new mac. What are your thoughts or opinion about this? Thanks for all the replies!

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Welcome to PhilMUG. You can use the MacRumors Buyer's Guide for future purchases. It's quite informative.

And according to MacRumors, don't buy!

Haloghen likes this.
  3. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Agree with what Roman says, don't buy now.

If you really need to purchase a mac laptop, buy the retina macbook. Cant get any more portable than that :)

4. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

it's the most outdated of apple's macbook lineup right now, and the 12" macbook seems to be poised to take its place - so i 3rd the motion and say no. get a macbook or a macbook pro if you really need a laptop right now. :)

p.s. if you don't need a laptop right now, i suggest you wait until Apple's next keynote - everybody's expecting a hardware refresh for the macbooks this year.

5. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

Thanks for the input! That is what I am also thinking. To waiting for the new macbook line refresh. The possible skylake refresh the macs will get is too good to pass up, not to mention the features coming from the macOS sierra update. Also isn't the rMBP too powerful for my needs? I'll be using my macbook for surfing, studies and casual video editing (not professionally made).

Thanks for the welcome btw!

Sunil_K likes this.
  6. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of delaying a purchase coz a new model will be likely released soon. If I want / need to buy now, I'd buy now. You'd still gain something from the time you buy now until the next model comes along. You may regret a little, but just forget about it. Besides, your upcoming model will always be replaced with a more modern one later, and the cycle never stops. Everytime I have to buy something, I'd check reviews carefully and compare models. But once I've already got one, I'd stop looking. Like ... um ... how it is with marriage. Ahahahaha!

But that's just me, so you don't have to listen ... :)

7. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

That is a good perspective. For the meantime I still have my reliable desktop PC to handle all my work. But as soon as I need a portable computer I'll buy one. I'm still choosing between an MBA, rMB, and rMBP, so many choices! Leaning towards the rMB more because of the screen and portability but then its has the same price with rMBP where in latter would have a better tech specs. So much decisions!

8. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i generally follow the same rule as well. but for the OP's case, the Macbook Air is really too outdated compared to Apple's other offerings. even if he needs a machine like right now right now, i still wouldn't recommend the Air. the rMBP or the rMB would be the more practical choices at the moment.

if that's the case - then i think the Retina Macbook should suffice. plus you get unparalleled portability with it, even more than what the Air can offer.

9. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Why not get an iPad first? Anyway, you have a PC to do the heavy work. Perhaps the iPad might suffice for now. When the refreshed MacBook line-up arrives, then go buy.

10. Haloghen

Haloghen Member

I tried using ipad as a laptop alternative once, its just not for me.

11. carloborja

carloborja New Member

I'm with the suggestion to buy the latest model now (either the MacBook or the MacBook Pro, whichever works for you).

I would only go for the MacBook Air if I was short of budget. It's still a good choice by the way. I just wouldn't recommend buying it today.

12. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

What portable macbook can I buy that I can edit videos on the go? With a cheap price of course.

13. mojacko

mojacko Member

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy my (first) mac laptop, and i'm considering the 11 inch MBA. Is it worth it? I don't want the macbook because it lacks ports plus the price. And i'm choosing 11inch over the 13inch (which has the 2016 edition) well because i want a smaller one, coming from a 13inch windows laptop.

And is the switch from windows to mac worth it? Hehe

Appreciate your opinions on this. Thanks!

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I think so. I have owned lots of Apple laptops before going back to the late 90s and compared to those my 11 inch Macbook Air is one of the most reliable machine that I ever owned from Apple. Sans the retina display, Apple has perfected this laptop. Get the last generation 11 Air, although it is discontinued I promise you, if you need a powerful light machine for productivity, you won't regret it. I have employees who bought the 11 inch Air from 2011 and it still runs as good as new unlike most Windows laptops that fall apart one way or another after 3 years or so.

mojacko and Zoey like this.
  15. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I've had all kinds of Mac desktops and portables and after 30 years (yes, 30) of using Macs, my souped-up MBA is still the best Mac I've ever owned. It's my workhorse, my trusty companion. I look forward to upgrading its SSD to 1gig. You can't beat its portability and number of ports. For that i'd sacrifice Retina, which I have on my office MBP anyway.

xkg, Salaryman Ryan, mojacko and 4 others like this.
  16. schmuck

schmuck New Member

With the new MBPs faring rather badly in reviews and tests, I'm seriously considering getting an MBA. Thing is I'm not sure if these "older" models are still worth it? I heard that they're discontinuing the MBA line so are these models in the market technically phased out?

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

It doesn't matter to me if they're going to be phased out. I change laptops every three years anyway, and in another year I'll still be looking for a small, lean machine like the MBA. I might shift to the thin MBP then, hoping that its specs will have been ramped up by then and that they would have added more ports.

18. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

To be fair with Apple. With the exception of high price, the no touch bar Macbook Pro has been getting very positive feedback by actual users in forums everywhere. Its smaller then the 13 Air, gets 10 hours battery life, excellent screen, and its only 5% slower then the touch bar Macbook Pro 13 in CPU and GPU tests. For me this machine is a spiritual successor to the 13 inch Air. (you may need adaptors though)

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  19. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

I have to agree with you. Really satisfied with my 2016 13inch MBP without TB and glad that I chose it over the Early 2015 MBP that I planned to buy during the BTB-BDO Visa promo. Love its weight and size (btw, I bought a CaseLogic sleeve intended for the 12inch Macbook and it fits perfectly! :p). The use of additional dongles was a concern initially, good thing the Apple USB-C to USB went on sale. As I used the MBP, I realized I don't really need the other ports that much (I just used the adapter+memory card reader to transfer files from an SD Card or thumb drive).

20. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm very very happy with my no touch bar Macbook Pro. Built quality wise, this is the best laptop I handled from Apple yet. So solidly built like a Swiss watch. Battery is amazing, iPad like. The screen is beautiful and rich with color. Thunderbolt 3 makes advantage of my T3 Samsung external SSDs. Transfers of gigs of photographs and movies are lighting fast. It is quite pricy though for the specs you get but I'm happy with my purchase. Very satisfied. It combines all the best parts of the Pro and Air.