Is it 1066MHZ or 1067MHZ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by xanderacain, Nov 3, 2009.

1. xanderacain

xanderacain New Member

I am planning to upgrade the memory of new macbook pro. The current memory specs of my MB is ddr3 1067mhz at 1gb each Bank. The supplier told me that I could also use 2gb ddr3 1066Mhz on one bank side by side with 1 gb ddr3 1067Mhz on the other bank. Is this permissible? He also told me that there is no available dd3 1067Mhz memory module in the market today.

2. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

It may be ok but I would rather have a pair of RAM module that is similar in specs and make...

3. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

It should have the same speed bro it won't work thats what I think.

4. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

it's 1066.6666 (bar) so rounded off, it's 1067mhz

5. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

small differences in clock speed matters, better make sure that you use the same memory clock speed so that you wont have any regrets.

6. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

that is just the same, but the rule of thumb is to install same brand and specs of ram in one system in order to achieve better performance

7. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

1066MHz and 1067MHz DDR3 modules are one and the same. There you do not need to have any worries. While mixing sizes and brands of modules usually works, it should be thoroughly tested after installation by running many RAM intensive tasks. You can monitor the RAM usage through the Activity Monitor of your Mac (Use Spotlight > Type "Activity Monitor"). If you encounter any extreme sluggish behavior or even Kernel panics (gray box telling you to reboot), the culprit is most likely the added RAM.

If you can go the route to upgrade the RAM within your system by a pair of the same brand modules, that is always the cleaner and most likely less headache inducing way to go. Even though you bought the same brand/type, you can still encounter issues, and testing like stated above is highly recommended.

RAM buying usually is not that delicate though and you will be fine. Just make sure you give your new modules a little push to the edge to rule out any incompatibilities or failures.

Here some reading material from Apple, regarding memory upgrades on the MPB:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

8. xanderacain

xanderacain New Member

Thank you very much guys for your thoughts. Any recommended store where I can get memory modules for our Macbooks?

#8 xanderacain, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Digital Walker is the place to be :)

10. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Some manufacturers are conservative on speed rating and some prefer to round it off to the higher speed so consumers would think they have the faster module but they're just the same...