Is iLife '06 worth it?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by farankoshan, Mar 3, 2006.

1. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

I currently work off an iLife '05 package, and I don't see why getting a new iLife '06 would be worth it, since all it seems to come new with is iWeb (which you need a .mac account to utilize anyway, right).

I mean, one may say that by having iLife '06, you can keep yourself up-to-date with all the updates that Apple will be coming out with, to ensure a speedy computer. But then i think, is a full 5k-7k worth that whole privelege?

Is iLife '06 worth it, from a user's point of view? Is there something extremely different from '05 that would make me just die to have '06?

#1 farankoshan, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I just recently bought iLife '06 and all I can say is that it's not a very big leap from '05. But there are enough useful changes in there that makes the suite better but not necessarily a must-buy. If you don't plan on getting a .mac account, '05 will do just fine.

3. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Note that you don't have to have .mac to publish your webpages done in iWeb....you just lose a very few features, but otherwise the ease of layouting and the integration of photos, blogs, podcasts is a dream.

4. aquamyth

aquamyth New Member

in my case, the new iMovie and iDVD themes as well as the new features of iPhoto are what made me get iLife '06. if you're satisfied with the way you work using these apps (or if you don't use them at all), then skip '06. as for iWeb, i think Sandvox is better.

5. hannibal

hannibal Guest

just the beefed up garageband is already worth the upgrade, not to mention the nice new features of imovie and idvd. and iphoto is a lot better now. so there, it is definitely worth it :)

6. Sph1nx

Sph1nx Active Member

Tempted to get iLife'06 but I'm prioritizing upgrading my HD and memory before adding new software.

7. weremermaid

weremermaid Member

The new themes in iMovie and iDvd include some fun motion graphics. I also like the ease and integration of Podcasting in the GarageBand timeline. iPhoto of course has photocasting (ala podcasting but in a visual way) and of course iWeb, very integrated with a .Mac account.

With all the playing and experimenting you'll do, best to make sure you have the biggest HD possible on your Mac or a speedy external HD.

8. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

If you can yearly do an upgrade then go for it.
    If not, then ilife 05 is good enough

9. dbh1104

dbh1104 Member

just upgraded to iLife 06... but was using iLife 04 before... i bought the software for the iMovie and iDVD... but now i'm hook into the iPhoto edit feature... if you like a better moviemaking experience... i would say it's good to upgrade...

10. elbert

elbert Active Member

For iPhoto alone, it's worth the upgrade, especially if you have lots in your library. How can you pass up a jump form a capacity of 25,000 photos (in iPhoto 5) to a quarter of a million (in iLife '06)?

Trust me,go for it, you won't regret it. The performance enhancements are substantial across the board.

11. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

Are you sure? :slanted:

'coz I would find iPhoto rather sluggish already with a few hundred photos in it, and well, i kinda feel that perhaps finding such a large amount of photos in your library (1 million?!!) will slow it down even more... :confused:

12. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

yes, the performance enhancements of handling even larger amounts of photos in iphoto 06 is reason enough to upgrade... IF you use iphoto plenty much.

13. jepaz

jepaz Active Member

Definitely a worth upgrade and you'll see the dramatic difference from the previous version. :cool:

14. macbeth

macbeth Member

i agree. it's a worthy upgrade especially if you consider using the awesome iWeb feature. i also like the full screen mode in browsing pics in iPhoto.

15. mrrstn

mrrstn Member

Recently ugraded to a dsl connection and seriously thinking of using iWeb, however, I don't have .Mac.
    So how do I publish iWeb w/o .Mac?
    Thanks in advance.

16. jepaz

jepaz Active Member

So far it can only be ported to .Mac.

17. MG

MG Member

i think you can publish your iweb on a cd. then distribute.

18. t43m4n

t43m4n Guest

cant iweb like publish to a folder then you upload that folder to your personal host?

19. icetraxx626

icetraxx626 Active Member

I've been asking around for the same thing, but I think it is possible.

I just dont know any free hosting sites, and how to upload.