Is Cable TV heading out the door?

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Oct 16, 2014.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Cable is out definitely. Give it 5 yrs.

Most cable companies are coming out with "skinny" streaming packages. They already know cable is going the way of dinosaurs.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

That’s minus one cord/cable to look out for. Next are telephony wires. Everything will be wireless, cordless, boxless in the near future. The IoT will take over the world from there. Robots will rule the earth.

Welcome to Judgment Day.

raypin likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

More than 5 years ago, the company I was working for had "land lines" as a PC App, so as long as the App is working... You have your office land line with you.

My present company, will be adopting the same (Singtel just started giving the go signal to port our numbers)

As for IoT taking over the world...

Do you say "Thank You" after Siri/Alexa/Google Assistant helps you...

Someday an AI will judge who gets to stay and who should go...

I hope they realize I have been good to them since 2017, hahaha

4. hitme64

^I actually say that to Google and Siri. Eerily, Google Home welcomes me back.

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Roughly 5 years since I started this thread, we're still on Cignal.

BUT, my subscription has been drastically reduced since. I remember starting with Plan 1290, including 2 additional boxes, and I was paying 1,750 a month. That was way back 2012-2014.

It was further reduced to Plan 830 then to Plan 790 and right now, I'm on Plan 520. Even so, I'm still contemplating on further downsizing it. The family watching habits prevents me from terminating the Cignal service altogether, unfortunately.

The channel choices on DTV are just terrible, IMO. I understand that there are locked premium channels, but the FTA ones, maybe except a couple of news channels. are really just trash. Wall-to-wall nonsense talk shows, commercials and call-in shopping. I've been cuddled in a cocoon of virtually commercial-free streaming for too long, I guess.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. hitme64

If all cable channels would have been HD or UHD 4K by now then maybe cable would live longer. Watching anything lower than HD nowadays is a strain to the eyes and an early TV shut off.

Dgame12345 and raypin like this.
  7. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I strongly agree with you on this one...
    Watching a movie on hbo or fox movies via cable comparing it to netflix, in terms of picture quality, netflix is still better even if it just hd source..

rdy0329 and hitme64 like this.
  8. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

A little ot, trying to browse the app store and found an app hbo vip screener..
    Whats its difference from hbo go app? How to have an account on it?

leninmac likes this.
  9. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. I believe that only applies to US HBO subscribers. The only HBO App that we can use for now is HBO Go. Looking forward to HBO Max. I might just ditch my Prime Subscription and retain Netflix.

10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It has to do more with compression and encoding methods. CaTV and SaTV combines multiple channels being broadcasted simultaneously on the same media. The receiver only picks the channel you want to watch from whatever is available. Oftentimes, that same cable is also providing multi-megabit Internet access. That said, bandwidth utilization must be optimized so everything can fit on the said media.

Netflix and about every online streaming service, auto-adjusts to whatever bandwidth you have. Playback will be lossy (pixelized with a lot of artifacts) if the available bandwidth isn't optimal and adjusts automatically to FHD or 4K when your bandwidth and equipment can sustain it. Unlike cable or SaTV, your Internet connection is just streaming, on-demand, the content or contents that you're watching.

11. ice

I was about to agree with your post... then I remembered I paid extra $$$ as I wanted my cable to stream in HD.

Still had it cut (my provider lost NBA, a year later Discovery Network), only thing left for my wife to watch was HGTV!

12. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Guys a little ot again, im planning to buy a new tv on my living room, ideal size is around 55”... im coming from an entry level samsung 4k hdr tv, should i get a qled like the samsung q60r or just the regular ru7100? Or are there other options? Budget is around 60k.

Cause i cant afford yet the prices of oled tv yet..
    Will the difference of qled and led literal that big (in terms of picture quality) will mostly used the tv watching netflix, nba league pass and sometimes cable tv...

leninmac likes this.
  13. ice

My personal advise to those looking at TVs...

Can you see the difference in picture quality?

If NOT, then buy the TV that ticks the most boxes.

raypin likes this.
  14. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

If ABSCBN loses their franchise, what will then happen to SkyCable?

Cable TV keeps losing channels in their line-up. E! and Diva Universal are gone that’s why for those addicted to the Kardsashians and other (fake)reality shows should subscribe to HayU.

15. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

News has it that NTC has ordered SkyCable to stop its broadcast services.

16. snipes

snipes Active Member

ABS stocks dropped below 15.00 at 14.96.

I was hoping they'd resolve this within the week so stock prices jumps back up.

17. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

To be clear, the NTC ordered ABS CBN to shutdown its Sky Direct (satellite TV) and TV Plus services.

SkyCable’s cable TV services is unaffected by the order.

18. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

ABS stocks dropped below 15.00 at 14.96.

Cable TV is to DSL and dial-up as is Streaming services is to fiber.

I had my cable TV service cut in 2001.

#98 King, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  19. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

when nba premium on cignal was discountinued, i had our cable tv disconnected also, kids do not even browse channels anymore during that time as well, so i don't think it's worth keeping.

20. ice

is there a way (in PH) where we can subscribe to selected cable channels? (I only need AFC, Food Network and HGTV)