Is Cable TV heading out the door?

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Oct 16, 2014.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..made the mistake of hanging my hdtv on the wall (picture frame style). Difficult for cable management. On hindsight, good, ol’ fashion TV cabinet is better (tidy, easy to hide wiring, streamer and receiver ).

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Haven't had cable for more than 5 years. Like the others here, TVPlus for news which I hardly watch for my sanity's sake. And then there's Netflix, which my entire family enjoys.

Just got back from LA where our condo still has cable, recently upgraded to HD in fact, even with just the basic package. Tried watching local US channels that play movies and shows, then got culture-shocked with having to endure through commercial breaks. Then tried watching the different HBO channels, no commercials of course, but found that the inability to just pause and continue at your whim to be shockingly unbearable. I think I must've thought outloud a hundred times, "is this how we used to live?" and "how the hell could we ever watch tv this way?" :p

Good thing I brought a Xiaomi Mibox, and watched Netflix on it. All my kids were watching Netflix on their devices.

The only hold out was my wife who absolutely loves the HGTV channel, and she only gets to watch her shows when we're stateside. Is HGTV available in local cable packages? If so, then that will probably force us (me) to get cable again.

#62 Godfather, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    greta87, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Is Cable TV heading out the door? - NO!

I installed a TV Plus on my mom's TV. One day, the signal was lost and she sent me a message... Who do I call to have this thing fixed?

Cable guys will always be at her doorstep the next day if something goes wrong.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

But TV Plus is not cable (CATV), is it?

5. ice

It's a Digital Box/receiver...

So 1 time payment only, except if you plan to watch pay per view...

"Cable Guys" mentioned in my reply refers to technicians of Sky who are always there when something goes wrong.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

It used to be Cignal had some of the best offerings on cable compared to Sky. Then their transmissions became problematic and HD channels were either down or had lower resolutions. I had to cut Cignal from our office even before its mandatory two-year commitment. Then they started sending me demand letters to pay up for the remaining months despite having cut off early. Then the legal harassments from some law firm started. Then I sent them a strongly-worded letter with my last payment and penalty fees done for. Then it took three months for them to finally realize that I had paid up because some schmuck at Cignal messed up the documents.

And that’s why I never again went cable TV.

Godfather likes this.
  7. raypin

Mm....Skycable has an HGTV add-on to basic cable subscription.

https://www.mysky.com.ph/laguna/plans-and-bundles/select/channel

Godfather likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I was afraid of that. :p Will show the wife. Thanks Ray.

Also saw Cignal has HGTV HD in their 990 plan too, the one in collaboration with PLDT.

Question, if you get Cignal through PLDT, do they still have to install their dish on the outside of your house?

9. raypin

Mm...afaik, the cignal sat dish works only outside (clear line of sight). I had one maybe 9 years ago and everytime rain hits the dish, walang signal si cignal.

For 5 bucks more, get sling tv or , for even less, get hulu for hgtv and much more.

10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just to be clear, are you really referring to ABS-CBN’s TV Plus brand of DTV receivers? If yes, it’s not Cable.

Or are you just using TV Plus loosely as a catchphrase for cable digiboxes?

11. ice

ABS-CBN's TV Plus

12. hitme64

You still get their dish to use Cignal. Like it stands outside like a bird receptacle and no signal comes in. Or as @raypin said when it rains it dies.

raypin and Godfather like this.
  13. manager

manager Active Member

Fox+ is worth it for Fox Sports, though movies and TV series are good too.

Hooq you can watch free or just rent a movie you like. Your subscription gives you one free rental monthly which offsets the subscription cost, but I didn't bother renewing.

Amazon is ok if you have access to the US shows, otherwise not really. I canceled after finishing Grand Tour and will reactivate when the new season becomes available.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Any reviews on which IPTV service works best here?

15. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Soo, have you heard of this TV Box? EVPAD 3S?
    No subscription, one time fee (Php5k+), all channels that you can think of, I mean ALL, even channels per country!
    All you need is a fast internet connection(so them Chinese can spy on you faster, jk!)

but this is a bit too good to be true. so i'll try to stay away from this.

EDIT: I posted the video below earlier but it can only be played via YT app/website so added another source with embedded playback enabled.

#75 yehey9, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. ice

^that thing streams pirated content!

I'm not a 100% righteous person... But I personally find piracy acceptable to people below 25 years old :)

yehey9 and raypin like this.
  17. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. Yeah. It's too good to be true because this looks like a standard Android Box which uses specific android apps to illegally stream TV or movie channels. No such thing as a one time fee subscription.

yehey9 likes this.
  18. hitme64

They come in different names and packages. They can be accessed like any regular internet streaming app for a one-time fee. As the days go by, you’ll be seeing some channels down and inaccessible until only a few are left. Then it’ll stop getting signals and you’re left with a black paper weight box.

yehey9 likes this.
  19. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Tnx for the info..
    Anyway i might as well get tv plus for local shows and news; as for the streaming app, i will still get netflix and nba league pass...

Then i will just choose or try to rotate my subscription from time to time on either fox+, hooq and amazon prime (it will depend which offer good shows/ movies during that month)

20. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Fox+ is better than the Fox pack on Cable because you don’t have to deal with commercial breaks and forced subtitles on movies on Fox Movies.

Most blockbusters, for example from Disney, are not available on Fox+ Philippines. You won’t see the MCU or the recent Star Wars movies on Fox+, but on Fox cable channels they are shown. But with a VPN you can access other countries’ content like the MCU and other recent Disney blockbusters.

manager and Dgame12345 like this.