Is Cable TV heading out the door?

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Oct 16, 2014.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Cable TV is dead. Signs of the times:

1. SkyCable pivoted to SkyBroadband
    2. Cignal over PLDT Fibr is just 250 a month (basic package)
    3. No one's talking about that show in channel ______
    4. Internet is finally bearable enough for 1080p HD
    5. Quality streaming-only productions are now a thing
    6. SolarTV/TV Plus shifted to Yearly / One-time Payment plans.

Progress was slow, but even conglomerates can't put a full stop on increasing clamor for speed/data.

Ditched cable since 2014, we have TVPlus for News. Not a huge sports fan, so I'm all set. Nothing beats the versatility of internet tbh.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

In the last couple of years, I was able to downgrade our Cignal subscription twice to get to Plan 490 from Plan 1280. My folks are still the old-school type but lately, I notice that they're watching more online streaming from Netflix and Youtube, which means that I may be able to eventually phase out my Cignal subscription within the next year or so.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I would advise keeping cable (minimum, basic plan) as a backup in case of broadband outage. We’ve experienced submarine cable cuts during typhoons resulting in interrupted service for days. Meaning, if you are 100% dependent on broadband internet for your entertainment, you will be TV-less during the service interruption. What are you going to do? Listen to AM radio? What is Php299 per month (or whatever) these days? What about your kasambahay?

I have Fiber at home (more than good enough to stream anything) but I am not letting go of my cable subscription. If not cable, at least buy a digibox (one time expense, no monthly).

PinkHunny and wem272 like this.
  4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Out of my five family members, it's only my 3 year old that still watches Disney Junior or some kids channel on cable. News is on the internet, and everything else is Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Showtime and Sling. Pretty soon, I might be dropping some of my Cable TV subscriptions and leave just 2 out of the 5 for the entire household. Cable TV might be on the way out for some in the Philippines, but not for everyone.

raypin likes this.
  5. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Can I ditch cable if I want to watch F1, NBA games, American football and baseball?

6. raypin

Mmm...sure. Get Sling TV and add on NBA and other sports channel for live US or international sports or video on demand. For Sling, they even have option for Cloud DVR(restrictions apply), to record up to 50 hours, pause or rewind live sporting events. There’s NBA, NFL, Golf channel, NHL, College ball, ESPN etc.... sports galore for casual or hardcore sports nuts. Not sure about F1.

Love Sling. Don’t care for sports. Opted for news add-on (live CNBC!).

7 days free trial available. Cancel anytime.

Edit: checked ESPN - live broadcast of F1 (21 races live, for 2018).

#46 raypin, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Dekra likes this.
  7. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Keep Cable TV even if your lifestyle has shifted more to watching TV shows and movies on Apple TVs, mobile devices, and game consoles. Why? Because Cable TV complements live streaming and watching on-demand with their freebies and perks. For example selected SkyCable subscriptions offer HBO GO and Sky OnDemand for free, while Cignal offer Fox+ and Cignal Play for free as well. Great move for both companies to offer on demand services for free as they’ve accepted that we watch TV different from what it was a decade ago.

If you don’t have time to watch live sports on your TV then yes get an on-demand subscription. Fox+ offer F1 and MotoGP live and on demand. For NBA games, there’s NBA League Pass. There’s NFL League Pass as well but I’m not quite sure on this as I have no experience with it. MLB has MLB AtBat for live and on demand. And then there’s BeIN Sports Connect for live and on demand football if you’re interested.

But don’t ditch your cable if you happen to be tuning in live on your TV during game time.

And then a few have mentioned Sling TV, and I suggest try it out first and it’s up to you if you’re gonna get it because to me, I wasn’t able to make the most of it. The only channel I watched the most was ESPN for SportsCenter. For me based on experience US cable is just re-runs and commercials. I can’t see the value of paying $25 or more when I can watch the same content on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Crackle, and others for less.

PinkHunny likes this.
  8. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Piracy Is Back
    Too many exclusive content from different streaming services. We're back to square one.

greta87 likes this.
  9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I cut my cable subscription early last year and I don't miss it at all.

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Four years without cable. My fix include Netflix, APV, YouTube, iFlix, EZTV and the occasional BluRay.

11. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Could you share to us what are your streaming apps you subscribe? Do you also get a tv plus?

Cause im also plannimg to ditch out my cable subscription once my lock in is over :)

12. raypin

Mm...if I may....TV plus is a no-brainer for the local TV channels. One time expense. For streamers, Netflix and another streamer to start. Could be hbo now, amazon prime and, in the future, disney plus and apple tv plus. I also recommend Hulu and, for live US TV, Sling.

I have TV plus although I still have basic cable (which I no longer watch). Once mý contract expires, I will cut cable.

13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Tnx for your advise
    But your set us is like for of getting a us vpn?
    How much is the monthly of us vpn?
    Does the monthly of netflix and amazon prime us different from the phil netflix/ ap?

14. raypin

Mm...if you do not want to deal with setting up a VPN , just go for Netflix PH or Amazon PH. Local Netflix prices are cheaper than Netflix US. As for content differences, unless you prefer a more complete library (including older titles or TV series), stick with Netflix PH. There’s more than enough good titles to keep the average TV viewer entertained. You can always upgrade or switch to netflix US at any time if you are dissatisfied.

hitme64 likes this.
  15. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Stopped watching cable since 2001. Netflix, Amazon and Youtube give awesome content.

Mykolant and hitme64 like this.
  16. hitme64

One good thing about no cable is NO cable at the back of the TV. Hence, no tangle, no distraction, no mess. Just the power plug and that’s it. Don’t even use my external hard drive anymore after I plugged it to the wifi router for seamless, wireless delivery of movies.

raypin and Mykolant like this.
  17. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

you'll be fine... I'm only subscribed to a few streaming apps, Netflix Ph, Amazon Prime video PH & for 2 months in a year ($30), I activate my HBO Now (US account) where I have to use a VPN to be able to watch the content & I try to catch up on the occasional HBO series that I like.

besides, YouTube alone can be vastly entertaining..

for live sports, I only follow the NBA, MLB & UFC & they have specific apps for those. for other sports events, there's reddit. ha ha.

I use both Apple TV and Chromecast

Godfather and raypin like this.
  18. raypin

Mmm...still a nest of wires on mine.....hdmi cables everywhere! One for the apple tv, one for the av receiver, another one for the......

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  19. hitme64

^Hahaha but I entangled my own wires and cables after I finally hoisted the TV on the wall to clear up the mess underneath it. The ATV has been relegated to the desktop for a while tho’

raypin likes this.
  20. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

How about Fox+ and or Hooq, any review on it?
    Is it also a good supplement for Netflix Ph? or still Amazon prime is a good supplement?