Is Cable TV heading out the door?

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by oj88, Oct 16, 2014.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't know about you but when I think of cable/satellite TV, I think of HBO. But now it seems, the giant is shifting to a subscription-based, streaming-only service in 2015. More specifically, they're moving into an à la carte model. In contrast, the current cable/sat TV delivery model makes us pay for channels we seldom or never watch. IF this thing is going to happen globally, we may no longer see HBO from any of our cable/sat TV subscriptions starting as early as next year.

Anyway, and from a commercial point of view, it has been known that streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, et al. have been eating away at the cable/sat TV pie since around the beginning of this decade. In fact, just last year, I downgraded our Cignal subscription because we added Netflix. The irony here is that I watch a lot more stuff off Netflix than Cignal, yet I pay twice as much for the latter.

All that said, I think I can see myself cutting down or even totally eliminating our Sat TV subscription when Digital TV (DTV) becomes mainstream. I mean, that's the other reason I wanted Sat TV... better picture quality compared to analog OTA.

More info here: Heads-up, cord-cutters: HBO to start online-only subscriptions in 2015 - CNET

2. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Indeed, but our Internet service providers should provide reliable connection speeds first.

I don't mind ditching my cable subscription for stream-only - as long as I get my money's worth on fast Internet.

DTV for local channels and the rest via streaming

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

IMO... NO

Why? We all watch Live Sports! I personally have StarHub's TV Anywhere but it doesn't have access to NBATV and Floyd Mayweather fights (I only get 2 NBA games a week and Pacman fights)...

HBO Go can kill movie piracy (just like what Spotify did for music) but as mentioned above, you'll need fast and reliable internet to enjoy this.

4. ice

Just to add to my comment... I am a geek... (I think more than 3K posts here in Philmug alone is enough proof :) )

But my wife and my daughter are "regular" people

My TV has the usual Set-top box and Chromecast...

When I'm not around, no one uses the Chromecast, because (this is based on my personal observation which includes other people I know) no one want's to use the TV remote's "Input Button".

So until Google and Apple can deliver content using 1 box, 1 remote and 1 UI... Cable will be fine

5. oj88

Yeah? Well, I'm a super geek... :D j/k

In our case, the Roku 3 is easy enough to use even my folks, who are well into their sixties, are still able to work the with interface without calling me every 5 minutes.

But as far as consumption is concerned, I'd put the following ratio in our viewing habits (just my best guess):

Ratio: Internet streaming / Local Streaming (Plex) / Sat TV

Me: 50/40/10
    My wife and kids: 40/20/40
    My siblings: 60/30/10
    My folks: 80/10/10

Aside from my brother, who's an NFL fan, we only watch Sat TV for the current news, cartoons for my kids, cooking shows for my wife, and occasionally, movies on HBO or Fox.

I do agree that the lack of reliability and high cost of internet access is a major issue for everyone. I envy our friends in Singapore (The Fastest Fiber Broadband Plans Available in Singapore - HardwareZone.com.sg).

Imagine, with the amount I'm paying right now (P3k/mo for 8 Mbps), I could already get a 1 Gbps plan from MyRepublic in SG.

6. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

In the Philippines? .. with our existing telcos and their services? ... nahh! :)

7. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

I was hosted by a taiwanese local last week in Taipei and i was surprised that my host is only paying 800 a month for HD cable with high speed internet which clocked around 27mbps based on speedtest.
    [​IMG]
    And here I am, paying 1800 for a 3mbps internet that goes down 0.5mbps at night. Crazy!

8. ice

I suddenly remembered when I visited Sydney a year ago...

Some Pinoys had this TFC box which was connected to the internet.

They had TFC, Cinema One, ANC and Bro (Sports)... They used free-to-air for local news...

Sadly, said option is not available here in SG... to get TFC, we need Starhub (with 3 basic channel groups)... Channel 7 is from another provider... Singtel!

9. teachertwish

teachertwish Member

10. oaba09

oaba09 Member

Not in the philippines....our internet connection is very inconsistent so streaming is out of the question....

11. ice

^I remember reading an article shared in Facebook... I think it's something like "how do you know if you've been in Manila for too long"

1 entry was if you're ok waiting for 30 minutes for a 3 minute YouTube clip :)

12. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i agree that this will only work in areas that have consistent high speed internet. and definitely not in the philippines where our net speed is going to be the worst in Asia about a year!

13. oj88

Well maybe when cable providers runs out of big ticket shows to air, it would force the local ISPs to beef up their service?

I can't wait to cut my Sat TV subscription and move to on-demand streaming.

14. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

i haven't paid for cable in 4 years. but considering i am only home and awake 3hours most of the week, i only get to watch so many shows.
    my kids on the other hand don't know what commercials are and love going to their lola's house to watch tv..different cartoons from what they watch.

15. ice

16. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not a geek nor my wife and 3 kids but we've been cable-less for over a year now. It took some adjustment since we can no longer watch those noon-time shows and teleseryes live.

Wife had issues at the onset – we can't relate to what's trending. But after a few months it became a non-issue.

We only have the Apple TV. It doesn't have those US VPN serviced so we don't even stream US channels.

We just d/load movies on the Mac and stream it on Apple TV. Then the occassional TV shows and rented movies off of iTunes.

It's not too bad. Our internet is on PLDT's 10mbps subscription.

17. manager

manager Active Member

Since we started streaming, our cable subscription is unused so I had it cut. Savings just went to 5mbps connection upgrade, but we're able to watch stuff we want to.

We don't miss cable at all :)

18. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

We are still sticking with our cable for reliability at any time of the day, choice of channels, also to keep the househelp entertained, wouldn't want her hogging all the bandwidth. Lol

19. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Is HBO Go different from the normal HBO? If no, I don't care, then can go away from the normal subscription coz they play old movies and repeats them over and over. If they go streaming, then its okay for them probably nobody watching their channel.

20. ice

Sling TV couldn't handle March Madness last night | The Verge