Is a Macbook Pro still considered as brand new if warranty started in October 2023?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChaDejelo, Feb 8, 2023.

1. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

Hi there. This is my first time buying a Macbook.
    I'm buying a Macbook Pro 14 1TB from a reliable reseller.
    The description is Brand New and Sealed with 1 year Apple Warranty so I requested a serial number to double-check.

This is what appears on the Apple Check Coverage site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was purchased in Oct. 2022 and repairs and coverage also started on that date.
    Is this possible given it is "brand new" and "sealed"? Or naopen na siya?
    Naka-sale kasi si reseller right now. Very reliable naman siya just wondering why is this showing.
    They said they could have it corrected or changed with Apple.

Attached Files:

#1 ChaDejelo, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  2. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

If it is a grey market importer and not a duly authorized Apple reseller for the country you are buying in then you take the risk that they can change it later.

There are reasons why masmura si reliable.

Only way you can be sure it is sealed from Apple is if you inspect the box directly yourself. Ideally it is still inside the brown sealed shipping box. If it was removed from that then your next physical evidence would be the original sealed packing tape at the lid of the box.

Last month Apple released that model's replacement.

3. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

Was considering the M2 too but upon reviews they found out that the M2 is slower than the M1. And M1 is cheaper.
    I am buying from BosJap and reviews seems to be good. Just really wondering if the warranty can start without actually opening the sealed box.

4. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

is it possible to ask them if they could elaborate more about how "THEY could have it corrected or changed with Apple"?

5. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Could you point to the M2 reviews? All the ones I saw say they are faster.

Ask BosJap if he is recognized by Apple PH. I know his units are shipped from the HK distributor.

I am unaware of any BosJap-sourced units being serviced for free by authorized Apple PH service centers

6. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

- among many.

iStudio is currently offering the M1 Pro 14 1TB at 144k, discounted. 20k more than BosJap. But don't they actually send the Macbook to SG anyway for repairs too?

7. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

I didn't really know. Let me go ask too. Thanks!

8. imart

in terms of warranty start date, it commences on the day when your reseller purchased the device.

note that an authorized retailer is totally different from a reseller. if the reseller, who might also be a fellow private consumer, did the purchase on october 23, 2022, then the estimated warranty expiry based on your screenshot, is in effect.

now, if your reseller is a merchant, it's also good to establish some understanding to ensure that your device is covered by a merchant's warranty for your peace of mind - quite helpful if you only have a few months left from the standard 1-year apple warranty. if it doesn't exist, then you're at the mercy of the remaining warranty coverage by apple; however extendable if you choose to get the applecare+ within 30 days before the 23rd october expiry.

9. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

You mean the SSD & not the M2 SoC.

You probably get better value for money with the M1 Pro/Max than the M2 Pro/Max.

But in terms of raw performance of the SoC the M2 line is better.

$1299 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro is equivalent in raw performance & performance per watt to a $1999 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max.

#9 tweek, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  10. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Correction

Apple has Apple Authorized Resellers that officially represent them on their behalf.

BosJap is a parallel importer or AKA grey marketer. He sources his goods from distributors abroad who treat him like a dealer in their country but does business in the Philippines. Would not be surprised if his goods came from HK/SG.

Yung lusot ng Apple Authorized service center to make you pay for repair from goods bought from non-authorized sales channels is proof of purchase official receipt. If it's from US' Best Buy they will honor it. If is not and not from a authorized PH dealer then they may charge you.

I have a friend give up doing his parallel importer gig as online selling it is difficult to liquidate and riff with scammers who think they're all doing my friend a favor for trying to scam him.

He said that he makes more money at an easier time by day trading.

11. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

I get it. Thanks. Most people say his came from HK. But can we agree that all these Macbooks came from Apple anyway?
    Don't want to say I believe the horror stories, but I've read a lot about people under Apple PH warranty who were still charged for repairs. Expensive repairs.

12. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

I really like the M1 Pro Max too but thought it may be an overkill for my needs - not to mention hella more expensive. I guess I will stick with the M1 Pro for now until the M3 comes out.

13. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

I never said, inferred or implied BosJap sells fakes. I am pointing out that BosJap may have scurtted some PH govt requirements that resulted in a lower overhead for his goods. I also bring up his grey market status in relation to warranty claims.

A lot of Apple owners are 1st time owners and tend to claim warranty for user caused damage.

They are also of the mind to have their devices services kung saang saang tiange thinking they have authentic parts that is used by trained service people with certification. I do not blame them because that's how they did things prior to buying any Apple products.

They also do not know how to articulate warranty concerns.

catalysmic and antski like this.
  14. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

I've been reading and saw this for AppleCare, again please bear with me as I'm an Apple newbie:

"* Service coverage is available only for Mac and its original included accessories for protection against (i) defects in materials or workmanship and (ii) batteries that retain less than 80 percent of their original capacity."

So it's like a 3yr warranty for a factory defect. Wouldn't it be wiser to get gadget insurance?

15. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

No I'm not implying that you are saying BosJap is selling fakes. Just don't understand why Apple PH wouldn't accept repairs if it's purchased from like Hongkong or SG when it's the same Apple product. Or is it the fact that we are only dealing with "authorized" sellers in the PH and not Apple themselves?

16. Roman

Roman Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, how was it purchased in October 2023?

17. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

If it is bought by end user direct from other countries then all they need is proof of purchase.

If it is bought through grey market importers then they may practice their rights to refuse repair request.

Grey market importers unfairly compete with authorized Apple resellers who may be required to spend extra time, effort and money to comply with Apple's standards and PH govt requirements.

More than a dozen years ago Apple PH & othe poor nation markets often look for ways to refuse free warrranty repairs for goods bought from abroad. Apple imposed new standards when enough complaints were lodged.

But for grey market importers it is understandable they do that.

We get free serving and yet they do not get compensated for it adequately.

18. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

It is just extended warranty from the 1yr. Only countries with AppleCare+ that has accidental damage warranty coverage.

TBH you shouldn't be worried. It's the same standard warranty all of us use. Apple devices are very reliable so long as you use it in the prescribed manner.

Last time I bought AppleCare was over 2 decades ago. I never had trouble with it for the first 3 years.

For this iMac I have for approaching 10 years only thing that broke down was

- Fusion Drive's HDD on its 5th year
    - Speaker on its 7th year
    - Darkening of lower edge of the display's backlight on its 8th year

I am waiting for the 2023 model before replacing.

19. imart

i think you lifted this from a powermac page. the asterisk refers to hardware coverage on batteries only and not AppleCare in totality.

20. ChaDejelo

ChaDejelo New Member

I read another thread here in Philmug with a comment from someone who claims he bought from a gray reseller and was accepted for warranty at Beyond the Box, but it's a post from 2020 so not sure if this is still the same.
    Now I'm really torn if I should spend 20k more to buy from iStudio instead. :LOL: