iphoto question

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by melo, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melo

melo Member

hi, just transferred my photos form my camera to my mac, is it safe delete already the pictures after i import it to iphoto? does iphoto has its own file (backup) og the picture? or if i want to upload my pictures should i just get it from iphoto? thanks.

2. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

it's safe to delete it from your camera's card. but for safety's sake, why not make a backup also. you can never be too careful. What if your harddrive crash?

3. simplyme

simplyme Member

yes, after importing pictures from iPhoto, it will have a copy of its own on it's library.

4. madman101

madman101 Member

it has a copy and it if you edit it in iPhoto it will also have the unedited version (which when shooting on RAW eats up HD space very quickly)

5. melo

melo Member

ah. my only worry is that, if i don't delete the original photos form my camera folder, magdodoble sya, is it true? 1 copy from my original folder, 1 from my iphoto? thanks

6. melo

melo Member

EDIT: kakain ng memory? thanks

7. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

Oo madodoble siya. If you imported to your Pictures folder, and then to iPhoto, you will have a copy in the Pictures folder as well as several in your iPhoto Library. You can access the copy in the iPhoto Library by right-clicking it and selecting 'Show Package Contents.' If I'm not mistaken there are copies of each photo under 'Data', 'Modified', and 'Originals.'

Kung ayaw mo madoble, in iPhoto, go to Preferences>Advanced and untick "Importing: Copy photos to iPhoto Library.' That way, the photos are only saved where you originally imported them (in your case, your Camera folder).

8. madman101

madman101 Member

i'm a little confused here so pardon me.
    your intention is to remove the photos from the memory card of your camera to free up space. you can leave it there and next time you import just choose "hide imported pictures" to make sure you don't do a double-importation.

the best still is to delete the files since your imported photos would already be on your HD.

9. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

So you're planning to copy your photos to a folder, then copy them again to iPhoto? You don't need to do that.

Just open iPhoto, plug your camera to your Mac's USB. Then drag and drop all your camera's contents to your library. You'll be asked to keep original or delete them. If you choose to delete them, the photos saved in your camera's memory card will be deleted.

If you want to back them up, instead of backing your photos to another folder, my suggestion is buy an external hard drive and use Time Machine. :) That way, even if your HD crashes, you have them on your external hard drive.

10. melo

melo Member

@ danceyourpain

thanks. mejo kuha ko na. :rolleyes:

@ philpangandian

thanks. kaso if i search on the finder, 2 copies yung nasa iphoto ko. that's what i was asking pag import sa iphoto magiging 2 yung copy? may original and may data e. thanks ah sorry beginner lang ako sa iphoto. :rolleyes:

11. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

AFAIK, the 'data' is just for thumbnail view in iPhoto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.