iPhoto photos

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by strawberryfields, Jun 17, 2008.

1. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

hi guys! i have a question regarding iPhoto. I normally download all pictures in the program and enhance it but my questions are:

1) there are 3 folders actually data, modified, and originals, I understand that under the modified folder, all the edited pictures are there. can i delete files under data and originals so that the disk space may loosen up?
    2) are those 2 folders consuming some of my disk space?

thanks!:)

2. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No, you cannot delete them. Do not touch anything in the iPhoto folder manually, do it all through iPhoto itself. iPhoto keeps a copy of the original so that you can always "revert to original" later on. Yes, they will be taking up additional space. I think it's worth it though, that way you can always undo ANY changes you've made to a photo, even several years down the road.

It's very easy to mess up your iPhoto library if you delete or move stuff around using Finder. That's why Apple converted the iPhoto Library into a self-enclosed package since version 7 (iLife '08). Are you using an older version of iPhoto?

3. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

oh i see. j have iPhoto 6 sinc i didn't purchase the latest version of iLife. thanks

4. luisito

luisito Member

Hey Muggers, kind of an iPhoto newbie here. But anyway, just wanted to see if I get this straight. I have my picture files (jpg, png, etc.) and at the same time, I will have the iphoto library taking up space in my mac, right? But I'm sure we're all concerned about space in our mac so I just wanted to ask if it's practical to delete the originals?

Is there a way to export photos from iphoto into files? I'm kind of getting OC about the iphoto library and I'm sure you all understand. Anyway, if anyone can ease my tension and might be able to make my photo organization life easier, it'll be much obliged. Thanks in advance!

5. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@luisito, once you've imported your pictures into iPhoto, go ahead and delete the original files. iPhoto will already have an exact copy stored in your iPhoto Library (DO NOT delete the original files in your iPhoto Library).

There are several ways to export pictures from iPhoto. The easiest way is to simply drag the picture/s directly from the iPhoto window to any other Finder folder (or the Desktop), this will create copies of those pictures in the target folder.

If you need to resize or convert the pictures to another format, use the Export function of iPhoto (iPhoto -> File -> Export).

6. luisito

luisito Member

Wow! Thanks! So it's really safe to delete the originals? Okay, great! I was just kind of wondering because if I did delete the originals and there was no way to export them, then I'd need a mac program for the rest of my life to keep these memories. Anyway, this is really good news. Here goes my big switch. haha. thanks!

7. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@luisito, of course, make sure you perform regular backups (either with Time Machine or an app like Synk) :) You don't want to lose all your photos because of a hard disk crash.

8. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

a real nightmare when that happens. of all the files in our iMac, it's the photos (9,700 to date) that i really want to preserve, next would be our iWeb domain file (2gigs so far)

9. whipper25

whipper25 Member

I just point my iPhoto library to an external drive. Saving space on my internal.

10. rhyantiangco

rhyantiangco Member

I guess I can just post my iphoto problem here. I have made changes to a certain picture (jpg) in iphoto. I use adjust changes to my picture. then i click the done button. in the edit mode, every changes i made can be seen but when i tried to double click the picture, it seems to revert back to the original file where no changes where made. I tried exporting it but still got the same results. The changes doesn't seem to take effect. :( This just happens to the "adjust" feature of iphoto but the "effect" feature are being saved. I suspect that my iphoto is not registered yet but i can't verify it right now because i left my installer at home. :(

11. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@rhyantianco, what do you mean by your iphoto being "not registered"? There's no need to activation or serial number needed for iPhoto. Which version of iPhoto do you have?

12. rhyantiangco

rhyantiangco Member

Hi Patrick,

My iphoto is the one included in the iLife '08. I said that it is not registered because when i tried looking for answers on my problem, i saw the "Register iphoto" option in the iPhoto pull down menu.

But everything's fine now. It seems that my file is too big to be processed by iphoto and i now see the changes i made through the "adjust" feature.

thanks for the help. ;)

13. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@rhyantiangco, the "Register iPhoto" item just lets you send your user info to Apple. Whether you register or not will have no effect on iPhoto's operation. I'm glad your iPhoto's working well now :)

14. incrediblue

incrediblue Member

Anyway, sometimes after editing a jpg with iPhoto, you may forget to save the changes.
    The changes can be made by clicking R or L arrow (to move to the next photo), or by simply pressing ENTER.

Hope this helps...