iphoto or aperture

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by screamingums, Aug 6, 2007.

1. screamingums

screamingums New Member

im a recent switcher (may 2007) and i have more thab 35,000 digital photos (hobbyist) and was hoping to get some insights on which application to use to organize all these photos. currently the naming convention is initially by year folder, then catergory folder then, then event folder, then photos.

how can i import to either aperture or iphoto without having to mess up the original files and how they are organized? i used to use picasa and this work fine coz everytime i add a new folder, it just sees it and adds it up in the app for me to view. can iphoto or aperture do the same?

i tried out aperture with a few photos and it quite sucked that photos had to be stored in a library. help on thi please.

BTW, i only have 80gbs of laptop drive space. orig photos are in my 250gb desktop pc.

hope i can completely move to apple soon.

thanks

2. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

First, you transfer your images as is to an external drive. Connect that external HDD to your Mac. When you launch Aperture to import the photos, a dialog box will pop up that will allow you various options to import. One of these options is to import from a Folder On Disk. This means you can import pictures according to how you organized them. Also, select the option Upload As Refererenced Files so the original files will remain in the external HDD.

#2 dominiquejames, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  3. screamingums

screamingums New Member

thanks dominique
    im assuming you are leaning more towards aperture. i treid this out and had some pains with transition. i did the referenced import but after a few gbs i can no longer write on my external drive.

so i had to format again. interms of functionality and practicality, is aperture really worth its cost?

4. hannibal

hannibal Guest

@screamingums

if you check on dominiquejames' signature (just below his post), i don't see any reason why he won't lean towards Aperture ;)

anyways, i think iPhoto is for light to medium size photo editing which is mainly for the casual hobbyist but Aperture is more of like for the professional photographer due to its advanced features.

5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@screaminggums

if you have a photo library that big, I'd recommend you to use Aperture. It'd be easier for you to search your catalog especially when you use keywording and some other photo properties (metadata) to add more information for each.

I think you'd probably change your workflow (habit of managing your photos) soon as it seems you have used up your HDD. You may want to transfer your photos to a bigger drive or daisy-chain them.

dominiquejames may give some tip perhaps on how he manages his library? I've seen in some other posts that he got himself a lot of new hard disks lately...I'm just guessing it's for his photos.

btw, I'm an Aperture user myself. I'm happy I bought it to manage my photos. :)

6. imabs

imabs Active Member

DJ, how will i know that Aperture has created a library of its own? i am doing enhancement in Aperture but i was not able to find the Aperture library of my work.

Thanks for your help.

7. esm

esm Member

screaminggums,
    aperture might be difficult when you initially use it, but give it a week and you'll enjoy it. :) especially if you shoot RAW. :) you'll love also that 'versions' you create means very little hdd space (xml file) until such time you export it.

do note that aperture creates thumbnails (you can choose the quality under preference) that is part of the aperture library, so you can work 'offline' when you don't have your external hdd with you... although you can not make editing stuff.. only rating, keywords ... basically organizing stuff. :)

cheers!

8. dominiquejames

I'm not only leaning towards Aperture. I am banking on it. My entire post-production workflow is now based on Aperture.

When importing as referenced file, it is assumed that the photo files are already on your external drive. So you are not writing to to your external drive, but you are linking to it so you can view its contents on your computer.

In terms of functionality and practicality, yes, Aperture is worth it.

9. esm

esm Member

Hi Dominique,
    I haven't tried importing this way (I do it by folders)... If I import using Folder On Disk, does it create projects based on the folders? (assuming I have more than 10 folders/subfolders to import).

10. dominiquejames

You can check your current library by going to Preferences. Usually, the Aperture library is located in the pictures folder. You can also create more than 1 Aperture library and switch to each of them at will through the Preferences as well and then by restarting.

But, if you are asking where to see the editing work you've done, it is located at the Project file that you originally created.

11. imabs

imabs Active Member

thank you, sir. i'll be doing that.

12. dominiquejames

Yes it does.

13. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Hi DJ, just a question about the libraries of iPhoto and Aperture. I'm running both apps in my system, both as referenced files to the photo achive I have in my external drive. I just noted that the Aperture library in my main disk is double the size of iPhoto's. At least with iPhoto, I can look inside the folder to see if there are stray files that I can get get rid of.

I right-clicked on the file 'Aperture Library' and chose 'Show Package Contents" and noted that the Project files are huge (at least 0.5 gb each). Is that normal? I assume the 'versions' of the original photos are contained here, but do they really have to be that huge? I thought Aperture just stored the adjustment parameters in the versions and not replicated the entire photos themselves.

14. dominiquejames

soloworx, first of all, i would like you to find out if the images are really referenced files. as referenced files, each image that is in your computer is nothing more than a jpeg sample image file about 50 to 250 kb in sizes so it is impossible to bloat it at .5 gb unless each of your project has thousands and thousands of images.

if you've confirmed that it's a referenced file, then check in your preference the Previews setting. If it says "don't limit" then it will create the biggest files. but if you've set it to size where the asterisk mark is (aperture gives you this mark depending on the size of your monitor), and if your quality is set to medium (mine is set to 5 only), then you'll avoid huge reference files.

ideally, you're not supposed to peek into the aperture library via "show package contents." there's no point in doing so. the back-end is deliberately invisible to you to protect you from messing the photo files. all adjustments, deletes, transfers, etc. should be done on the aperture interface.

15. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Thanks for the quick reply, DJ. I have modified my Preferences as you suggested. I only 'peeked' inside the library to find out why they're big, but didn't do anything else. I know it can get screwed up if I did otherwise.

Q: How do I check if they're indeed referenced files? All I see in the photo info is Master Location which corresponds to the Project Name and Album Name, but not the actual file location. In case I reconstruct my library, will I lose my versions? How can I avoid this 'disaster'?

16. dominiquejames

soloworx, referenced images are marked with badges. in aperture, go to help, aperture user manual. go to page 476. it's a page called "working with referenced images" and "identifying referenced images."

17. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Thanks DJ. Back to the manual! I'll let you know hot it goes...

18. fidji

fidji Member

Currently, I have a small photo library and have started to think of the optimal way of organizing the photos. Talk about good timing. Thanks for the information.

19. macbeth

macbeth Member

this is sort of related. i wish that Front Row can also display my pictures in Aperture.

or is it now possible?

20. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

well, seems like iPhoto '08 have some new features...like Events. It's like the Auto-stack in Aperture. For those who will buy new Macs bundled with iLife '08, you might try it out.

@macbeth, I wish it's possible too. but seems like Front Row is just integrated into iLife apps only.