iPhoto '09 AWESOME but SCARY!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by carloslegarda, Jan 8, 2009.

1. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

I was so impressed by all the features of iPhoto '09 but I couldn't help being afraid of how powerful it is.

First of all with this tool, stalkers can easily see from the geotagging where a picture was taken and follow someone there. And with face recognition it'll be harder to hide.

Secondly, if this is how powerful a consumer tool is, how much more powerful are the tools that the government ("Big Brother") can use?

and with computers getting more and more powerful and most of them having webcams built in, it's plausible that someone will be able to use a network of computers to track someone just like in Batman and in Eagle Eye. Scary.

This being said, I really can't wait to get my hands on a copy of iLife '09

#1 carloslegarda, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

haha! absolute power corrupts absolutely! hardeharhar! :p

3. coreofignorance

wow. nice intro sir carlo. ill wait for the time i have a mac and use this :p giving me the chills :D

4. Tecson

Tecson Member

@Carloslegarda,
    i agree, lalo na yung mga rich or artista who wants to have privacy, and of course whoeever is tagged and have data on the program is most likely to have Macs which is expensive and will then be categorized as a possible target also..wow, do be careful and beware of using iphoto.:)

5. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

For the tip,

I think you can just hide your pic if you don't want others to see it, wether it is geotagged or not. :)

6. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

yeah, i agree. It will be dangerous if you post it as public info. I think the social networking sites are scarier. Then again, I'm in a lot of them... hahahaha. Just make sure your privacy settings are set correctly.

7. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Hmm...I haven't received any threats yet, so I guess the women i've been seeing aren't as geeky as I am..LoL

Wait..I'm going to change that. I'm not going to use geek anymore. from now on, it's "Tech-Savvy"

#7 jaijin, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. doctorfunk7

doctorfunk7 Member

haha ... "tech-savy", i like that!;)

9. Tantantiniiin

Tantantiniiin Active Member

for travel photogs, it might mean you probably wont be the only person to shoot the same site, the same time of day, using the same gears, and if you're unlucky, the same weather conditon.

It might lead to some touchy copyright issues -- remember the WWF beach scene photo fiasco?

This is also the reason why I'm (real name in real life) and a whole lotta other pseudo-personality online.

10. mindless

mindless Member

I'm not sure if facebook's api allows for pulling photos outside of your network of friends.

In flickr you definitely can't pull photos set to private.

11. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

iPhoto '09 could just be the reason for me to finally join a social networking site ;) faces, places & the new slideshow look really nice.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

@carloslegarda: dude, whatever you're taking, i want. i miss that kind of paranoia. ;)

the benefits of faces and places far outweigh the privacy risks.

first of all, most pics are not geotagged. iphone users can disable geotagging, so people won't know where the shots were taken.

facial recognition technology has been around for a long time. if you're worried about governments using them, too late. they have been for a long time.

so take a chill pill, and enjoy the iphoto '09. i know, i'm getting the mac box family pack as soon as i can. i have recently geotagged all the resorts along the white beach of boracay during the holidays, using my d300 and a gps accessory, which geotagged every resort/hotel/restaurant that i photographed. and i intend to share those for a visual guide of bora. see?! more benefits, less pranniness. ;)

13. essay

essay Active Member

slightly OT:

I'm using a nikon D80, how do i take shots that automatically geotag the photos? Are there gadgets one should install?

back to regular program:

I'm definitely upgrading to iPhoto 09. I like the face recognition.

14. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

me, im on those prosumer camera, where's that geotagging device?

that geotagging? catch me if you can

15. brianmend

brianmend Member

Regarding privacy, think of the positive side-bad people will be hunted easily.
    It's fine if you have nothing to hide, I mean why would you be afraid and hide if you are doing but good?
    If you happen to be a celebrity, then you should know even before being famous that your privacy will be taken away from you and that's the price of fame.

16. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

do you need to get a copy of iphoto 09 or will update do?

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

There are GPS devices that can be attached to Nikon cameras (I am not familiar with the Canon series) from D200 or higher.

For entry to mid-level DSLR, there are external devices such as the Photo Finder, which will allow users to geotag their photos. It is not a seamless a solution, but it gets the job done.

18. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Check out the TUAW article -- Hardware that supports iPhoto '09's geotagging.

19. essay

essay Active Member

@rbenzon & patrick

thanks for the link. looking at them now.