IPhone Xs/Xs Max problems and solutions

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Juice, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I read about some people having problems charging their Xs/Xs Max iPhones.

I just experienced my first glitch just a few minutes ago, where my screen went blank and was unresponsive. I wasn’t charging at the time, but it still went blank. I plugged in a charger(original 10w charger and cable) and still no response. I had to press the power and volume down, then it did a short vibrate, and turned on.

2. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

Are you on the latest iOS version? This has been resolved by apple already. Unbox theraphy made a video about this issue which got Apple's attention.

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Yes, i’m on iOS 12.0.1. But, I wasn’t charging at the time it Blacked out. I’m hoping this is an isolated thing.

4. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

I misunderstood your issue, I thought it was the "chargate" issue. If it happens again or you notice another symptom, I suggest you bring it to a service center and have it checked. They usually have a diagnostic fee for that though.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm.. Looks like nag-hang siya (frozen screen, stuck while loading, no input, no display etc.) and you had to perform a hard reset to fix the problem. If it is garden variety hang, hard reset is the usual fix. I ve had to perform hard reset on many devices (Apple, Microsoft etc.) over the years. Totally normal.

But if a hard reset fails to revive the device, then you have a hardware problem or the software needs to be reinstalled.

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT201412

#5 raypin, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Try updating to iOS 12.1?

hitme64 likes this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^The solution is up there...update

8. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

The fix was mentioned since the iOS 12.1 Beta was released. The official 12.1 update was just rolled out officially 2 days ago.

9. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

Hey guys,

Anyone experiencing xs max with no volume coming out of earpiece when playing music or videos; but, working fine on calls?

AVG likes this.
  10. ste@lth

ste@lth Well-Known Member

A diagnostic fee? Is this for phones that are lapsed their warranty?

11. ste@lth

Have you done basic trouble shooting such as hard reset of the phone? Use another earpiece, software update?

12. jmkerr12

jmkerr12 Member

soft reset worked. But looks like a bug. Lotsa users reporting the same issue.

13. ste@lth

Had this issue before on my old iPhone 6 so yeah i think this might get fixed by an update.

14. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

Yeah I think so, it depends on the service center. I know powermac and beyond the box have this. It's a case to case basis also, if Apple initiates a repair program, there is no diagnostic fee. But if they find something unrelated to the issue acknowledge by Apple, they charge a diagnostic fee for it. lol

Based on my personal experience only. :)

#14 tomangelo, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  15. imart

imart Well-Known Member

I'm currently holding my iPhone 7 and attempted to restore the backup to the iPhone XS. I got the software update prompt on my OS Mojave to connect with the latest phone. While doing the update, I got installation failures and quite annoying to see to iPhone Xs get intermittently disconnected every few seconds. After making an applecare call, I was told to update my Mojave to the latest version but the issue still persisted afterwards.

The culprit? The Apple USB cable used on the iPhone 7. When I switched to the new USB cable that came along with the iPhone Xs, suddenly, I see great news on my screen. The new phone is detected and a backup restore is now possible.

Perhaps, we can assume that the old cable should work with the latest phone as I didn't even have any problems with it on the iPhone 7 at all. Practically, I only wish that I could still continue using this old cable while usable and will only take out the new cable from the box when the time comes.

I hope this helps. Save your time, use the new new cable on the iPhone Xs when connecting to the Mac.

16. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Did you try another old cable? Is it possible that there's already a developing unknown issue, like some unseen fraying, with your cable?

I used our old Apple lightning cables to back and restore data from my wife's iPhone 6 to her new iPhone Xs Max with no problem.

17. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi i had this issue with my iPhone 8+ every time i connect it to my Mac it says it needs to download something it was fixed on it's own lol

and yes for the Top Speaker i think its a software issue

18. ste@lth

Well my wife’s iPhone 6 got a battery replacement free of charge, only paid for the battery 1.5K i think it was part of their battery program for old devices, anyway hope they can do this to all other units, way better than going to Greenhills for repair!

19. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

Availed on this also. Got my macbook pro battery replaced for free also with a caveat that if they find some hardware issue, they would need to fix it first and I'll be charged a diagnostic fee for it. I was confident that there were no issues so I had it repaired, they replaced the entire top case for free :D

20. widowmaker

widowmaker Member

Guys, how do I go about completing a restored back up from my 6s Plus to an Xs? The main issue really is the "Loading" of the apps on the new phone which takes forever. I'm on iOS 12.1 already and have done restarts and forced restarts a number of times and connected to wifi but still, to no avail.

eli71724 likes this.