iPhone Xr

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by jetan, Sep 13, 2018.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

An Xr as a backup phone is a huge plus for me at work...am using it as my office phone so i don't have to open the XS Max and admire its features...just the type of utilitarian phone needed for everyday work...

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Okay so I gained some few insights on how my friends view an upgrade. And yes, this year is indeed an upgrade season for most of my non-techie friends.

1. They view price as indication of "greatness" on a smartphone (still).

2. They don't actually think about use cases where a great phone like the Xs Max would just be over qualified for their needs.
    -Do you use portrait mode on your 7 Plus? Yes, how often? check the portrait photos folder compared to the camera roll.
    -proceed to tell them XR has software portrait mode now
    -same main sensor and Smart HDR, selfie cam and improved flash.
    -same speaker
    -same processor
    -SAME! but different (I'll explain below).​
    -How often do you charge your phone? Do you use powerbanks?
    -proceed to tell them XR lasts longer than XS Max, 2-3 hours longer than 7 Plus​
    -For 6, 7, and 8 (4.7") How do you find the screen quality?
    -proceed to tell them that XR will have better contrast ratio (colors pop)​
    -Do you use 3D touch?
    -what is 3D touch? they answer. And then I demo them the feature on their phone and then I proceed to tell them they won't miss it.
    -I mean, they lived without knowing about it for 2 years...​
    -For Plus owners:
    I do disclaim that the PPI would be noticeable but screen real estate is indeed larger. Unlike with iPhone X/XS.
    BUT! One handed use is within reach *wink*​
    3. Here's the million dollar question, and how to hit the bullseye when a regular joe asks you about his upgrade option (I bet most of us are treated as "that" Apple guy in our circles).
    "Do you think it's worth an extra PHP 20,000 for an OLED screen, thinner body and a second camera?"
    -proceed to tell them they could throw in an Apple Watch or AirPods, accessories if they go XR.
    -Performace-wise. the playing field is equal. Everything's improved!
    -It IS an upgrade. Unlike the 5c.
    4. In the PH, where there's high income inequality, those who can afford an iPhone springs for the best (again, without fully scrutinizing their decision).
    -Viewing all-around great phone as inferior due to pricing.
    -iPhone-as-status symbol
    -Practicality is on the forefront of rising prices (esp for PH).
    5. Hardware insight: You know where that $250 went? It's for R&D more than anything. I've appreciated the L-Shaped battery as well as dual layer logic board the X and XS has. It goes above and beyond what you can expect to fit in such a small space (esp for XS). The XR is thicker, heavier and uses the same layout as iPhone 6-8 (one less thing to figure out during development). I like it more with no case on. and I think Apple's giving a hint by not releasing a case for it.
    -To give you an idea: An iPhone X with thin silicon case has the same feel as an XR with no case (grip-wise).
    -Still feels premium.
    -I want an all Aluminum XR that I can use freely. I loved my 7 Plus, it can take a beating!​

With this method, I've convinced 2 iPhone 6 users and 2 iPhone Plus users to get XR instead of XS or Max
    -Yes, they seem confused as to what to get, but this year's iPhone is like picking a restaurant in Japan, you can't go wrong (except storage haha)
    -The differences don't matter. You need to explain the difference or demo them. Don't be condescending, it helps! We've reached peak smartphone saturation.
    -BONUS: Ask what color they like. If it's not Black/White, then they practically made their decision.
    PS. I'm treating XR as an interim upgrade, that way, jumping to a Max will still feel like an upgrade (when we get 5G on iPhones).

#342 rdy0329, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. mactrix

mactrix Member

Since Japan is mentioned, why did Apple decide to lower the price of the Xr to $650 for Japanese carriers permanently? I mean I can understand if Apple gave a price cut to Vietnam or Myanmar coz prolly they cant afford it. Apple needs to boost sales in these poorer countries.

But the Japanese? They can afford the XR but they are not buying. Maybe the Japanese knows that the future of smartphones is a multicam configuration. It gives room for more creativity and app development. The new Huawei Mate 20 already has a 3 rear camera configuration.

If The XR fails in Japan, and Jaoan being one of the industry leaders in our region, that could send the wrong message. So they lower it hoping that the demand would improve.

Given this , it makes perfect sense to postpone your XR purchase until 2019 Jan or Feb, at baka i-lower din ang price like Japan.

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

iPhone 5c did well in Japan. I'm more inclined to think of the main culprit is saturation. more than anything else. Apple's approach for poorer countries is to offer 6 and 6s Plus through carriers like Globe at a cheaper price point (almost free) with a contract. That's because of the income inequality reality.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm, phone shop in Spratly? :)

6. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

7. mactrix

mactrix Member

from Apple website, Limited Time Upgrade Offer starting at $449

[​IMG]

8. JunKisaragi

JunKisaragi Member

Just curious, do we have the unlocked dual-sim variant of the XR here in the Ph?

9. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Only grey market units if I'm not mistaken. So Green hills or your local phone tiangge.

JunKisaragi likes this.
  10. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 New Member

hello does this apply only in apple store usa or can be any other apple store like hong kong? thank you.

11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Apple HK also has a trade in program but you are better off trading your phone in Greenhills. They will appraise your older phone significantly more than what Apple is willing to pay for it.

12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..for US customers, this is Apple’s Give Back Program:

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

For HK customers:

https://www.apple.com/hk/en/trade-in/

In either case, you need to be physically present in the US or HK.

In other words, these programs do not apply to Apple users in this country, based on my understanding of the mechanics of the program.

And I agree with @Aargh about Greenhills. Better offer. Zero hassle. In my case, I ve traded-in my 7 Plus for the X, X for the Xs Max and iPad Pro 12.9” for the iPad Pro 11”, at fair trade-in values.

#352 raypin, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 New Member

thank you

14. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 New Member

thank you too

15. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

16. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member
    Supporter

17. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

chief. mind sharing which store/s in greenhills? I have a couple of 7's to trade-in, or do they accept minimum 7 plus? thanks!

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....AJT (bridgeway) was my ka-deal for X 64 GB, the trade-in last Sept 21 was Php 38k but I overpaid for their Xs Max (paid the first adopter’s tax). Lol ! In comparison, the maximum that Apple will pay you under their Give Back Program is around Php 27k. Barat si Apple.

For the iPad Pro 12.9 (first-gen 128 GB wifi), it was Php 22k. Minor defects on the display and my ka-deal was this stall (don’t remember the name or stall number). Made them price-match AJT for my iPad Pro 11” 128 GB.

They accept all phones but be prepared to take a hit on trade-in value for older iPhone models.

Also, make it complete (boxes, chargers etc.).

Save yourself some walking time. Scan olx.ph for greenhills vendors with the gadget you want. Ask for trade-in options. At least, you will have some idea of what the prices are for trade-in in the ghills secondary market before going there.

#359 raypin, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    vic2rp and Theus like this.
  19. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes been checking AJT FB page. Will visit next week. Parang kotse lang, low trade in value. Thanks!

raypin likes this.