iPhone X "swollen battery" problem

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by penmanila, Apr 11, 2018.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

My Globe-issued iPhone X (256GB, space-gray) has been misbehaving for past six weeks or so. The first sign of trouble was when it suddenly overheated and died on me. Then it would go into random shutdowns, after which the battery--even if it had been, say, 80% charged, would be below 10%. I lived with this for several weeks--restoring, upgrading the software, trying the beta, restoring back to the basic software, reinstalling my apps one by one--and yet the phone would keep doing the same thing, sometimes 3X a day, and sometimes it wouldn't charge or recognize the charging cable (which worked perfectly with other iPhones).

So yesterday I finally brought it to the PowerMac service center in SM North, after restoring it back to "new iPhone" status. I explained its problems--which of course the restored iPhone did not manifest on the spot. I had also wiped out the panic logs, which is apparently the first thing they look at. Anyway they ran another diagnostic test, which showed that everything was okay--except the battery, which failed. They said they would do more tests.

Today I got a text message saying that the diagnosis was "SWOLLEN BATTERY" and that they would elevate the case to Apple to see if it merited repair/replacement or not. (How can it NOT, I wonder.) I Googled the "swollen battery" issue and found that it was an iPhone 8 problem, having to do with battery bloat (I observed no bloat, no physical symptom in the casing).

Has anyone had these random shutdowns/restarts/overheating issues with their iPhone X? Let's start the discusion/reporting here. Apple might need to see that it's not isolated (unless it's really just my phone). Thanks!

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

That is still a warranty case so I’d be surprised if Apple denies the repair. You probably have a lemon there @penmanila

3. unknowngreats

unknowngreats Active Member

it could be because of wireless charging, especially when the wireless chargers being used are those that are not Qi certified or apple approved.

uncertified wireless chargers are popping like mushrooms. given that this tech is newly adopted by apple, it could really be that this is not perfect yet and the use of these knock-off Qi chargers could hasten the life cycle of affected iphone battery.

raypin likes this.
  4. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Your unit will definitely or should be replaced , considering that you had used your unit within the limits of normal use when the problem came into fruition. I hope that the replacement would be a fast process.

My father had an issue with the power button of his Iphone X, it was initially unresponsive with light touch. It reached a point wherein the pressure required to elicit a response with the power button required greater force, eventually it became non-functional. He purchased the unit in an apple store (jarir book store) in riyadh. He brought the unit to the same store as it was in still warranty wherein it was assessed for an hour and the unit was replaced with a brand new unit once the issue was proven to be true.

5. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

One time, I experienced flash being disabled and an error message pops out saying that my iPhone X needs to cool down before I can use flash. This was after just taking a few photos and a couple of videos.

6. penmanila

Staff Member

I do have a cheap wireless charger, but I haven’t used it more than three or four times and in all those times it worked flawlessly without any heat issues. The irony is that when the iPhone died and NONE of my regular (official Apple) charging cables could be recognized by the iPhone, it was this wireless charger that saved the day and brought the phone back to life, enough for me to restore it to Ground Zero

7. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

I once experienced the back part of the phone becomes hot. It’s on the upper part side at the back of the phone. It’s hot than normal. I’m not using any wireless charger, just the lightning cable.

8. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

It happened for a few minutes. Also using a Globe unit 256GB space gray.

9. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

That’s one serious malfunction - good thing it manifested early in the lifecycle. I’d be surprised if that won’t be replaced by Apple.

However it’s all rainbows and unicorns on my end since launch day (Globe-issued unit last Dec 1). I primarily charge my iPX overnight using a Qi-certified Samsung wireless quick charger. I use my Aukey multiport charger in the middle of the day, and use the Awei wireless powerbank during emergencies while on the road.

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

As the genuises at the Apple Bar would say, “You aint done nuthin’ to it right?”, which is entirely incomprehensible in its context and syntax, but would certainly attribute same to being the fault of the wireless charger, or so it seems...

Qi-certified chargers like Samsung, Mophie and Nomad are still the best out there so just maybe chucking that cheap one is a go...

ronjet likes this.
  11. penmanila

Staff Member

well, that was pretty fast--just got a message that "Your replacement iPhone is now ready for pickup." in tuesday, out saturday--terrific! ;)

suavecito, greta87, ronjet and 8 others like this.
  12. knowsnomac

knowsnomac Member

With you bringing it to Powermac, did you have to pay their diagnostic fees which they are known for?

13. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

If it was indeed a warranty case, diagnostic fees are waived. This experience confirms why Powermac got their gold service center status from Apple.

Diagnostic fees are also waived if you decide to continue with the repair with them (out of warranty products).

This is to deter paranoids who think there’s always something wrong with their phone or those who insists on having them check it even without any problem.

14. Jason Zhao

Jason Zhao New Member

How long would you get your repair of iphone x battery swollen? I sent my iphone X to store and the genius bar staff sent it to repair center, the estimated repair pick up time is today but still not there and the repair status is always "we are sorry" The apple support told me that the estimated date is the normally pick up time...

15. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Ugh! It finally happened. Had to bring the iPhone X to Senco because of a swollen battery. Since it’s no longer under warranty I’d probably have to pay an arm and a leg to have it replaced.

16. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

Update: Apple is replacing the phone for the price of the battery (Php 7000) so I guess just a tip of a finger?

17. Ourdoc

Ourdoc New Member

Same thing happened with my iPhone X today. It was obvious as the swollen battery pushed the screen away from the phone.. Replacement on the way, no more wireless charging..

18. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

is there a supplier to source original iphone x battery? I had mine replaced sa mall lang and just a few months it's already degraded

19. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

wow! is there a way just to buy it and I will just DIY the replacement?

20. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Where can i get my iphone x battery replaced here mania. Any recommendations? Specially during these times. Best bang for the buck hopefully