iPhone X excessive data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by TiffAng, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TiffAng

TiffAng New Member

Hi, does anyone here experience unusually excessive data consumption using iPhone X?

My current subscription is 9GB of data and it lasts for 2-3 weeks only. With Globe SurfAlert on, it temporarily disables my cellular data once I reach my limit, so I am left with 1 week with no data - I will just settle with wifi. :( I never had this problem in my previous iPhones. I asked a friend and he also experiences the same thing with his iPhoneX - it forced him to upgrade his plan from 8GB to 16GB data.

I read several complaints online that the X really uses up too much data. You can check this link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8200858

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I have 12 GB allowance and my actual usage is less than 2 GB per month since getting the iPhone X. Data always on. So, no problem. Only data-intensive app I am using is Tidal (Hifi plan) which can chew on GBs of data fast. At home, it is Wifi for my X (since it is much faster).

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Go to Settings > Cellular

If you haven't done so yet you need to Reset Statistics at the bottom of this screen. I use this screen to keep track of apps that eat a lot of my free data allocation. I kicked the FB app because it uses way more data that I'd want it to. These days I'd be happy to see Safari to take the top in data usage. When I got my iPhone X I had to disable streaming for Apple Music in Cellular, and Photos to sync to iCloud in Wifi only.

As I do use iMessage a lot and with higher resolution than my iPhone SE before it does take the 2nd spot in that list.

P.S. It's not sorted by data usage, apps are listed alphabetically - wished Apple would provide sort by data usage to make it easier to find 'rogue' apps.

P.S.S. I just realized when I got my iPhone X the YouTube app seems to be the new data hog. I think it tries to stream videos in hi-res than my previous phones. I disabled cellular access to it - only on Wifi.

4. TiffAng

TiffAng New Member

Thanks for your responses. I am now talking to Globe CSR to increase my surf pack. :|

These are the apps that use too much data: FB (2.2GB), IG (1.8GB) and Youtube (1.3GB) . My normal use includes browsing and viewing videos, I am not into posting. I have been exceeding my plan for the last 2 months since I got my iPhoneX.

5. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

Also, better disable "auto play" of videos in facebook app, under settings.

6. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Instagram is really a data hog app. Anyone knows how to disable auto-play of videos in instagram? I already turn on USE LESS CELLULAR DATA but still the videos will auto-play.

7. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Is the Cellular Data - Current Period in the Settings accurate? If yes, then mine says 698GB, and that is way high for cellular data. I only purchased my iPhone X about 3 weeks ago. I always forget to switch to WiFi kasi when I get home, so I end up using my LTE a lot.

8. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Just my opinion though:.

Data consumption is higher than usual hmmmm could be because iPhone X requires a higher resolution apps to align with its high resolution features. My FB vids and youtube apps are all streaming in HD dahil malaki screen ng iphone x and needs to compensate.

9. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm still monitoring mine. I'm using My Data Mgr app to measure it better.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

You probably restored from an older iphone so it carried the history data from there

11. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

I don't have issues with mobile data, I only have 7GB allowance, with mobile data turned ON all the time when outside WIFI coverage. Try also disabling WIFI Assist as it automatically use your data if WIFI is slow or no connectivity.