iPhone Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by josephtan2k, Jan 9, 2019.

1. josephtan2k

josephtan2k Member

I know this has been asked and answered plenty of times already.

My understanding is that iPhone warranty is honored only to the Country you bought it from.

My personal experience also is that local authorized service centers ask for proof of purchase when claiming for warranty.

What confuses me sometimes is that resellers, of unit bought elsewhere (not from local authorized resellers), claim that one can still claim warranty locally even without the receipt.

Has this changed? Can one really claim warranty without proof of purchase for those bough locally? Can one really claim warranty by just using the serial number for those not bought from a local authorized reseller?

2. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

Yes. iSwitch, some powermac and beyond the box stores won’t.

3. raze19

raze19 Active Member

Yes - not once did I present a proof of purchase for any device that are locally serviceable.

Not limited to what country it was purchased.
    If the phone from overseas is the same model as the GSM models released here ie A2101 for XS max then it should be serviceable.

josephtan2k likes this.
  4. josephtan2k

josephtan2k Member

Had a chat with apple support last night and said that iphones are not serviceable here. It seems that having an iPhone without a receipt is not guaranteed to be serviced here. Perhaps, technicality that iPhones are not really “serviceable” here talaga, meaning local service centers are not really authorized to open/fix the iPhones, instead they have to send it elsewhere (hk? Sg?) for servicing. If that’s the case, local service centers will have the prerogative to refuse an iPhone for “servicing” lalo na if you dont have proof of purchase. Kase if they refuse it, kahit bought locally and nawala monyung receipt, ano ang laban ng consumers? If you escalate the issue with Apple, they will probably say that hindi naman talaga serviceable ang iPhones here. Tough for us, lalo na sa mga tulad ko who easily loses receipts.

5. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

Contrary from my experiences, never did any store asked for my purchase receipts when i did claim warranty. I bought overseas iphones and local ones and had them claimed warranty i.e battery and touch issues, and all were serviced without the receipts. The only agony i had was the waiting period which was 15-30 days.

6. josephtan2k

josephtan2k Member

Were those iPhones? Perhaps I should put more faith in our local service centers. Probably just paranoid because I’d like it to be put in black and white because Apple would not recognize it. And push comes to shove we’re on the lower end of the stick.
    Perhaps our local service centers are more of a facilitator between us and to wherever the actually servicing is being done.

7. raze19

raze19 Active Member

Perhaps, but they will not facilitate an iPhone model # that does not match the locally released units ie XS max that's not A2101 will not be accepted for local warranty claims.

8. racz41

racz41 Member

Afaik, the two criteria that service centers look for when repairing iPhone units are

a. Model number
    b. NTC certification

Either one or both

So if you're gonna buy an iPhone from a foreign country, it would be best that you buy the same model number as the ones being sold here officially.