iphone to control macbook (bluetooth)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Demonoid, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Demonoid

Demonoid Member

is this possible? using an iphone to control the macbook for keynote presentations, control iDVD or iTunes? what application or program could you recommend? thanks guys!

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member Supporter

the iphone's BT seems to be good for only one thing: hooking up to BT earphones. it won't even sync wirelessly with the mac, so i doubt very much if you can use it to control your mac.

3. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

Hi,

That's too bad, I can use my SE W910i as a remote control for my MBP. I thought apple products should work flawlessly with each other. Maybe there are settings that needs adjustment?

Cheers.

4. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

If ever you want to control your macs remotely via BT, it would be other mobile devices and not with iPhone.

5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

the question is part of the problem because it presupposes that bluetooth is the only way of remotely controlling a presentation.

the way that i have functionally accomplished the same in the past is to export my keynote presentation as a quicktime movie, then use front row as a way to play/pause the "presentation". you can use iphone's remote app or, better yet, stick with the apple remote (via infrared, not bluetooth!). i don't know how fancy your presentation is, but i have managed to get the movie to pause after each slide, to wait for my click (press play) to continue.

if you want to travel ultra-lightly, put the quicktime presentation on your iphone, then use apple's composite av cable for playback on a tv or a composite (rca) video-capable projector. shuttling back and forth, if needed, is more crude, but it gets the job done. good luck with your preso!

6. jaybes

jaybes Member

i think there's a free app for the iphone that lets you control your mac's itunes. its called remote. but for controlling presentations or other stuff on your mac, i havent run across any such app. so if your presentation plays in itunes, it might do the trick. :)

7. Fireworks

Fireworks Member

I'd like to revive this thread. Considering that it's now 2011, I was wondering if there's an app that would allow us to control our macbooks for presentation via blue tooth (not WIFI)?

TIA!

8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I use my iPhone to control Keynote on both my MBP and my iPad 2, using Keynote Remote app. It works on a wi-fi network. There is an option to connect via bluetooth, but I've never made it work using that connection; wi-fi is fine though.

9. m0nd

m0nd Member

Yes though I haven't tried it. Hope the link below helps.

http://www.themobilepresenter.com/article.php/bluetooth-remote-control

Though why use bluetooth when you can use wifi capabilities coming from your own macbook/pro? You can connect your iphone/ ipod touch to your macbooks without wifi network available. I constantly do this in my lectures with my ipod touch even if there is a wifi router available. It allows me to walk around the classroom then surprise them with trivia questions.

just follow the steps on the link below:
    http://italkmagazine.com/using-apple-keynote-remote-without-wifi

10. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^m0nd, thanks for the tutorial!
    It works, as Steve would say, like magic.