iPhone 7 / 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by sandybridge_guy, Sep 8, 2016.

1. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

Hi all, first time poster here. Anyone have any thoughts on purchasing an iPhone 7 in 2019? I had been using an iPhone 6S for almost 4 years, but unfortunately, that phone is no longer available for me to use. My budget will allow me to purchase an iPhone 7 with 128 gb memory from a friend, probably nothing more than that. How many years could the iPhone 7 still possibly receive iOS updates? I was hoping to at least be able to get iOS updates for 2 cycles (this year and next at least). Is it still worth purchasing in 2019, given that it's a 3 year old phone? Any input on my query would be very much appreciated!

2. cHad

cHad Member

the 6s still got ios 13 this year so its 99.9% that the i7 will get the ios14 next year. Chances of ios15 in 2021 will be slim.

it is still a great phone. has stereo speakers, force touch home button, optical image stabilization and some waterproofing compared to the 6s. Features which makes this device last for a very long time. My only suggestion is to get the battery replaced officially from the apple store. it will bring a whole new life to the phone.

neldeles, Ghibli and cdrubio like this.
  3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Remember, it's the only iPhone that came in Matte Black and Jet Black.

The battery is probably showing "Service" at this time so I agree that it's the first thing that you need to replace.

4. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

Thanks for the advice cHad and Dekra!

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

It is the default entry-level iPhone for developing countries. India and PH telcos are still offering the units for contract sale. I think you're good as long as you replace the battery of your friend's. I'm willing to bet iOS 15 will be it's last update since it's the same league as A10 devices announced this year (iPad 10.2")

cdrubio likes this.
  6. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

I've had my jet black 7 since launch. Bought the apple smart case 1 year in. Been going strong ever since. I haven't even needed to replace the internal battery w my setup.

I really wanna upgrade to the 11 pro but this phone just isn't giving me any practical reason to. Looks like I'll be keeping it for 1-2 more years.

How much is your friend selling his btw? For reference My gf sold her jet black 7plus for 14k couple months back. I'd say you should get the 7 for 10k below coz battery replacement is around 3-4k.

cdrubio likes this.
  7. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

My friend is selling it for PhP15,000. It had some issues with charging and with the battery itself so they had it repaired through Apple USA since the unit was bought in the US. It has a new battery. Some other parts have been replaced too. It has a 90-day warranty from the time it was repaired. I'm hesitant to get it though because if another problem arises, looks like I'll either have to have someone bring it to the US for repair of have it repaired through a third party service center.

Good to know your phone is still working well. Thanks for your input!

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...if rumors are true, Apple will introduce early next year the iPhone SE 2, a budget iPhone, updated specs, low price etc. So, iPhone 7 or SE2? Something to mull over...

9. xkg

xkg Member

I've been hankering for the SE for some time. The size is perfect for me. I suppose they keep it in the lineup because there's still a demand for it.