iPhone 5 Signal Problems on ios 6.1

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by raze94, Feb 6, 2013.

1. raze94

raze94 Member

Prior to the release of 6.1 I didn't have issues with my signal, but after the install my daughter and I have had poor reception with our iPhone 5's. My wife on the other hand on an iPhone 4 running ios 5 has no reception issues. All of us are on Globe by the way. Another issue we are having is if we are in a location with good signal as soon as the phone goes to sleep it drops to 2 bars. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced any of these problems? I have done restores on both phones already and refreshed network settings. I also did an OTA update as well as over iTunes. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Miguel

2. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

My 2 day old iPhone 5 Globe-locked suddenly had this problem yesterday. I noticed that when I use apps that require location services (i.e. Maps, Twitter, Foursquare), the signal drops and then indicates Searching to No Service to poor Globe signal. I've been rebooting the phone 5x, doing Reset Network settings and Erase All Content and Settings. The signal comes back until the time I begin to use apps, again it would lose its signal. I tried restoring via iTunes, inserted a prepaid nanosim on it but the problem persists. Is it the unit? Cz I thought it was my postpaid nanosim but no dilemma of this sort happened when I inserted it on my 3GS. Stable signal.

3. raze94

raze94 Member

Thanks for sharing dandelionne. My daughter and I are still having the same issues with the phone. I will try turning off location services and see what happens. Hoping to get this resolved soon. I wonder if our cases are isolated? Anyone else care to chime in?

4. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

I've tried toggling on & off location services and even those under System Services. Still the same.

5. ponpon

ponpon Active Member

Do you have signal issues all the time or on specific spots/locations only? Never had such issues since I upgraded to 6.1. Have you tried the manual network selection trick? I read in the LTE thread that it solves LTE connection issues, not sure if it will solve your issue as well.

6. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

We don't have LTE here in my place but 3G signal is on full bars. My ipad 4 has no problem with the signal, only the iPhone 5. Did that manual network selection thing but that didn't do the trick. I think my unit's GPS or radio hardware is defective. After doing a hard reboot, the signal is stable...because I am not using anything. But when I start using apps that requires geofencing,that's when the problem starts. The iPhone can't maintain signal by then. My only solution is to bring this to the nearest iStore but it's a 6 hour boat ride from my town and I can't squeeze some time to leave from work.

7. raze94

raze94 Member

Still the same issue here did multiple test. I live and work in Makati and I experience the issues at my home and at my office. My brother on the other hand lives and works in Pasig and is also experiencing the same problem. I spoke to a friend who is using a Smart line and he is not having issues with his network connections. My issues are not related to 3G or LTE, rather its an issue with network connection in terms of signal. My phone can't hold consistent signal in places where other devices on the same network can.

8. awdgsr

awdgsr Member

Have your SIM card replaced or reprogrammed by Globe.

9. awdgsr

awdgsr Member

Sorry... Quick to click on the send button.

I had the same problem prior. I visited a Globe Business center and complained that while my wife's iph4 is getting 3G i'm only getting edge. The CSR got my SIM and said he'll have it reprogrammed. He step into the backroom for a while and returned 5 mins later. When i got my SIM back, I get consistent 3G / LTE signal.

I told my other officemates about it and they got better signal after their SIM were replaced/regrogrammed.

10. raze94

raze94 Member

Ok will try that today. Thanks!

Just to update. We replaced my daughters sim yesterday and it didn't fix the problem. I'm convinced its the 6.1.

#10 raze94, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. iamjapee

iamjapee New Member

Currently experiencing same problems with my iPhone 5 from Globe with a OS 6.1 update. Ever since I updated to the current firmware, I have experienced consistent dropped calls (ratio 8:10), weak signals, and dramatic signal loss. They advised me to go to a Globe Business Center to have my 4G/LTE sim replaced even though they already issued me a 4G/LTE ready sim. Will try that later this afternoon after work. I'll keep you updated guys. Thanks for this thread.

12. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

13. raze94

raze94 Member

Thanks for that link. So it is a feature of 6.1 causing the problem and not a bug. That also explains why my wife's IP4 has way better signal than my daughter and I in the same locations. The only way I see a fix for this is for Globe to provide better 3G service.

14. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

^ yup as i understand, for there are areas where edge signal are a lot stronger that of the 3Gs. Since theres no way for us, limited to ios6.1 users, to switch off 3G, chances are we may experience weak signal due to a unstable 3G network.

15. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

Bumping this thread up. Im having the same problem after the whole firmware update.